Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Grounded by the Curtain: The Unwelcome Slide from Club to Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grounded by the Curtain: The Unwelcome Slide from Club to Economy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Talking Grounded by the Curtain: The Unwelcome Slide from Club to Economy

My first domestic jaunt in an age, from the haunted (by 100ml liquid) halls of MAN to the regal runways of LHR, commenced with a most cordial encounter at check-in. A charming lady, undaunted by the labyrinthine intricacies of infant ticketing, provided a service as delightful as a warm scone on a rainy day. Yet, a harbinger of culinary doom loomed in my inbox, forewarning of a meal service more scant than a miser’s tip.

As if by some sorcery, BA now boards precisely as the ticket decrees—forty minutes prior, no less! A domestic marvel! Thus, our procession to the third row of Club Europe was as serene as a Sunday stroll in Hyde Park, marred only by a luggage stowage hunt that ended in the hinterlands of economy.

With the doors sealed, a prophesied delay morphed into an early arrival, as if Father Time himself had a change of heart.

The flight? Unremarkable, save for the chilled offerings of Club Europe’s cuisine—a stark reminder of the British summer and the Scottish lochs from where the salmon was grown.

As we prepared to descend, I, ensconced in my upright throne, bereft of any reclining luxury, was jolted by the abrupt announcement of our imminent landing—a mere ten minutes to brace oneself!

But hark! The main event unfolded as we graced Heathrow’s tarmac. In a twist of fate, the sheer force of our landing propelled my protective barrier—and my flimsy fabric barrier, known as The Curtain forward from its normally dull embrace with overhead lockers —and there I was, moved from the sanctity of Club Europe to the proletariat embrace of economy. The curtain, in a defiant swoosh, heralded my unsolicited downgrade, sparing (only just) , the unsuspecting souls in row two before it ceased its unrequested movement.

There I was, demoted mid-flight, left to ponder the existential crisis that awaited: How would my kin bear this ignominy? Could my offspring ever gaze upon my visage without a hint of scorn?

Alas, the cabin crew’s valiant efforts to rectify this air (ground) borne upheaval proved futile. My newfound companion in economy, a uniformed BA pilot no less, counselled me to seek solace in the arms of EU compensation.

And so, I pose the question: What quantum of Avios is just recompense for the sheer horror of taxiing through Heathrow’s sprawl, relegated to economy’s clutches?

Note, fair credit to Copilot which did improve the telling of this story considerably and also said...
I hope this retelling has added a bit of levity to your flight experience. As for the Avios, while I can’t provide an exact number, one can only hope that the airline recognises the gravity of your mid-air demotion with a suitable reward! 🎩✈️
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Mennen's downgrade formula based on the last 400m or so, I guess. Cold hard cash though - not Avios...!
AJA_ likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,, Oman Air Gold
My company’s travel policy changed from business to economy for intra-UK flights and when for the first time I saw (amidst my many flowing tears) the curtain being closed in front of me for the first time, all I could do was irrationally think to myself: ”is this what it’s like at the crematorium when the curtain closes…?”
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Still only March, littlevoices ……… but (in my book) definitely a candidate for best-written post of 2024

You appear to have confronted this traumatic assault on your welfare with admirable resilience and fortitude. That said, do please update us as to the nature of your clearly-deserved recompense, when eventually awarded.
Davvidd, Skipcool3, pH and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by littlevoices
My first domestic jaunt in an age, from the haunted (by 100ml liquid) halls of MAN to the regal runways of LHR, commenced with a most cordial encounter at check-in. A charming lady, undaunted by the labyrinthine intricacies of infant ticketing, provided a service as delightful as a warm scone on a rainy day. Yet, a harbinger of culinary doom loomed in my inbox, forewarning of a meal service more scant than a miser’s tip.

As if by some sorcery, BA now boards precisely as the ticket decrees—forty minutes prior, no less! A domestic marvel! Thus, our procession to the third row of Club Europe was as serene as a Sunday stroll in Hyde Park, marred only by a luggage stowage hunt that ended in the hinterlands of economy.

With the doors sealed, a prophesied delay morphed into an early arrival, as if Father Time himself had a change of heart.

The flight? Unremarkable, save for the chilled offerings of Club Europe’s cuisine—a stark reminder of the British summer and the Scottish lochs from where the salmon was grown.

As we prepared to descend, I, ensconced in my upright throne, bereft of any reclining luxury, was jolted by the abrupt announcement of our imminent landing—a mere ten minutes to brace oneself!

But hark! The main event unfolded as we graced Heathrow’s tarmac. In a twist of fate, the sheer force of our landing propelled my protective barrier—and my flimsy fabric barrier, known as The Curtain forward from its normally dull embrace with overhead lockers —and there I was, moved from the sanctity of Club Europe to the proletariat embrace of economy. The curtain, in a defiant swoosh, heralded my unsolicited downgrade, sparing (only just) , the unsuspecting souls in row two before it ceased its unrequested movement.

There I was, demoted mid-flight, left to ponder the existential crisis that awaited: How would my kin bear this ignominy? Could my offspring ever gaze upon my visage without a hint of scorn?

Alas, the cabin crew’s valiant efforts to rectify this air (ground) borne upheaval proved futile. My newfound companion in economy, a uniformed BA pilot no less, counselled me to seek solace in the arms of EU compensation.

And so, I pose the question: What quantum of Avios is just recompense for the sheer horror of taxiing through Heathrow’s sprawl, relegated to economy’s clutches?

Note, fair credit to Copilot which did improve the telling of this story considerably and also said...
I hope this retelling has added a bit of levity to your flight experience. As for the Avios, while I can’t provide an exact number, one can only hope that the airline recognises the gravity of your mid-air demotion with a suitable reward! 🎩✈️
Are you competing with Pucci Galore in your waxing lyrical comments? Some definite similarities methinks.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:49 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
10,000 Avios. And that just for the post.
Davvidd, jerrychuang, AJA_ and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:14 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
No curtain, curtain, no curtain ....now you know how Debbie McGee felt.

Last edited by davidcamp6; Mar 27, 2024 at 2:19 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Why you had to get the co-pilot of the flight to write this post for you is beyond me.

Pull yourself together man!!
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue
A friend asked ChatGPT for a joke resignation letter today which included the phrase "with a heavy heart yet a relieved mind that I tender my resignation", seems like the AI finally understands glorious British humour
nk15, HIDDY, gobaers and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:46 pm

Clearly written with no thought to our non native English speaking members. Communication is dramatically reduced when you show off rarely used vocabulary.
HIDDY, DXB2745, IAN-UK and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Your just recompense is the epiphany, after a lifetime of seeking solace in the thin veils of deluded grandiosity, that after the removal of the curtain, "the Emperor [CE] has no clothes!"

A realization to be further solidified by the cruel instruction of the supervisor to the customer care agent to "pay no attention to the man behind the [CE] curtain!" and ignore your futile existential cries to restore the illusion of specialness!
DaveS, DeathSlam and littlevoices like this.

Last edited by nk15; Mar 27, 2024 at 5:35 pm
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:57 pm

Settle for no less than 100,000 Avios and an interview with the Daily Mail 😉
nk15 and AJA_ like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Feel fortunate that the legroom and seat didn't also change!
GeoffSmith and Enigma368 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:44 am

Programs: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Clearly written with no thought to our non native English speaking members. Communication is dramatically reduced when you show off rarely used vocabulary.
my guess is that this was written by ChatGPT. The task must have been: write the text with as many rarely used words as possible 😁
jhawk0202 and dagohh like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:50 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Petroleum
Still an empty middle seat better than the old Business UK product!

Nevertheless, 10,000 Avios!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.