HOU DO v3 Feb. 10-12, 2023

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2022, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: krazykanuck
Confirmed Attending
krazykanuck (hosting, think I have to be here)
Long Train Runnin
HPN-HRL
Zorak
Calchas
Cocobird
JY1024

Flying Southwest (aka, maybe, if my flight happens)

West Coast, Best Coasters (No)
PV_Premier (probably)
SFOTerry (sorry, Mardi Gras already booked)
Santander (conflict with ski trip)
GW McLintock (rlleyes)

Lone Star Flight Museum List (please only add if committing, will be 10:30am ish Saturday)
krazykanuck
Zorak
Long Train Runnin
cocobird
Calchas
JY1024
HPN-HRL (3 seats available in my car)

Saturday Brewery/Feeding Order (Tentative)

Bad Astronaut
Gristworkz

[lunch]
New Magnolia
Gatlin's BBQ (optional food stop)
Great Heights

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

I'm such a sucker in that I agreed, well was voluntold, to bring this back again. Despite the Texas hate from the West Coast, Best Coasters and their Frenemies in the East, the wonderful February weather in Texas brings all those together.

This year will operate similar to last, though the Friday happy hour spot is more than likely relocated due to very Texas reasons (the place we went last year has changed owners, and they learned had been operating unpermitted for 6 years). I have a new FT-centric Saturday morning activity which is to be shared shortly. The rest of Saturday and Sunday will follow years past, beer, tacos, dinner, and BBQ on Sunday morning. TBD, as it always is. There may be a bourbon tasting, gifted by an attendee.

For Sunday BBQ, we've done Truth the past two years, and I'm not opposed to continuing that, but am also open to exploring other options.

I recommend staying in or near downtown. Most activities will be in close proximity to there.

Here's last year's thread: HOU DO Feb. 18-20, 2022

Last edited by krazykanuck; Jan 1, 2023 at 8:10 pm
Old Dec 31, 2022, 5:38 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'll be there. Flights and hotels are already booked. Guess I had a small heads up.

Although, now that I think about it... I did book Southwest to get there. So, will I be there?
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Put me down as tentative. I think I booked a hotel but I honestly don't remember and need to check. I know I booked something and had to call to cancel it Now just need to figure out how to get there. FWIW I have a 2-day free rental from Avis so if we want to do a pseudo Uber-LX kind of thing that can be arranged.

-J.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I did book Southwest to get there. So, will I be there?
Age old question. You are a long Amtrak ride away. Or a full day on your bus of choice. I'd agree to pick you up from the greyhound station, however, neither my life or car insurance covers that particular block of downtown.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Age old question. You are a long Amtrak ride away. Or a full day on your bus of choice. I'd agree to pick you up from the greyhound station, however, neither my life or car insurance covers that particular block of downtown.
Haha. As much as I love the Houston area and catching up with Flyertalk folks there is no way I'm going over land to attend. I'll find a way to fly down somehow. Plus, it's Jan 1 I'm sure Southwest has it all sorted by now!

More worried about the brain dead sub 1 hour connection I booked in ORD on the way back. That was not good planning.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Apparently I have the Aloft Houston Downtown booked for this. I think my plan will be to nonrev down unless I become desperate enough to actually call Jet to book an award ticket.

-J.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I will be returning from CGK the preceding Tuesday so likely won’t be able to get a hall pass for that weekend
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I will be returning from CGK the preceding Tuesday so likely won’t be able to get a hall pass for that weekend
I'm not sure whether to be more disappointed in needing to ask for a hall pass, or your assumption that you couldn't bring Mrs. Pv_P. These are easily solvable problems. We'll shove the Mrs off to a spa day. I happen to know just the right +1 for that, who would also at accompanying us on our day of FT ness.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Flights and hotel are cheap, so I'm tempted. Put me down as a maybe. If I make it, I'll stay at the Aloft, too.
GW McLintock likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:48 pm

Smile

It's all about marketing! I am quite sure with a straight face you can say, "Sweetheart I think I found the perfect way for us to reconnect after my trip! We'll fly Southwest with a connection to Houston and spend the weekend with my internet friends. In the evening we'll slip away to Houston's premier lifestyle center The Galleria for a romantic chain dinner at one of the fine restaurants in the mall."

Trust me she'll love it!
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:48 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm in, staying at the HR.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm in, staying at the HR.
You along with the The Uber-LX.

-J.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
It's all about marketing! I am quite sure with a straight face you can say, "Sweetheart I think I found the perfect way for us to reconnect after my trip! We'll fly Southwest with a connection to Houston and spend the weekend with my internet friends. In the evening we'll slip away to Houston's premier lifestyle center The Galleria for a romantic chain dinner at one of the fine restaurants in the mall."

Trust me she'll love it!
well since you put it that way. I mean we will in theory have promo companion pass and HU is literally more than IAH
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:09 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
I am in! Disembarking from a Galveston cruise on Thursday the 9th; reservation booked in a standard suite at the Hyatt Regency Downtown until Sunday morning the 12th.
krazykanuck likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 3:29 pm

well since you put it that way. I mean we will in theory have promo companion pass and HU is literally more than IAH
See, I am just here to help. Houston is one of the gems of the USA. The more time I spend there the more grateful I am that I live in NJ.
DELee and Santander like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.