Wiki Posts
Search

BA0084 flying from Vancouver to Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: air canada
BA0084 flying from Vancouver to Heathrow

Please bear with me. Is this a double decker plane always? Is it an Airbus? I am probably in the wrong area to ask this so if I am please redirect me...LOL...I am a senior!!! If I fly premium economy can I choose seats up top, if it is a double decker, or are they considered first class.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Originally Posted by sparklymermaid
Please bear with me. Is this a double decker plane always? Is it an Airbus? I am probably in the wrong area to ask this so if I am please redirect me...LOL...I am a senior!!! If I fly premium economy can I choose seats up top, if it is a double decker, or are they considered first class.
During the summer months, British Airways fly the A380 to Vancouver which is indeed a twin deck airplane. The upper deck has Business Class / Premium Economy and Economy class. You can select a seat up there, but just be aware without British Airways / OneWorld alliance status you will have to pay for seat selection.

Pilot37
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
For the last and next seven days it is certainly scheduled to be an Airbus 380 but there are never guarantees. Particularly as the A380s have been a bit unreliable since they were roused from their COVID slumber.
The seat map is at https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum.

As things stand BA84 is indeed the A380, the double decker aircraft, and if you book World Traveller Plus (premium economy) you can only be sat on the upper deck - that's where all that cabin's seats are to be found. It's also arguably one of the best premium economy products out there, with the window seats having access to a very useful side storage unit along the fuselage. Two things to be aware of, firstly that equipment can change and if that happens there isn't a lot you can do about it. You didn't mention the date of travel so I can't check that for you, but in any event there could be a last minute swap. Secondly A380s have a bit of a reliability problem. It seems to be getting better but the pademic meant the aircraft didn't fly, and that doesnt appear to have done them much good.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:18 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It looks like this flight is frequently an A380 which is a two deck plane, but there’s no guarantee that the aircraft type doesn’t change at some point. The upper deck is a mix of business, premium economy and economy. First class is downstairs. There’s a seat map here https://www.aerolopa.com/ba-type-38a

Unless you have status with BA you have to pay to chose your seats, unless waiting until 24 hours before flight time.

Edit: I was way too slow.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pilot37
During the summer months, British Airways fly the A380 to Vancouver which is indeed a twin deck airplane. The upper deck has Business Class / Premium Economy and Economy class. You can select a seat up there, but just be aware without British Airways / OneWorld alliance status you will have to pay for seat selection.

Pilot37
Thank you so much. I am booking for May 2023.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Great, thank you.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Bear in mind that BA generally does not operate the A380 to YVR for the whole of the summer season. I believe the first in 2022 was 1st June.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA Forum.

As things stand BA84 is indeed the A380, the double decker aircraft, and if you book World Traveller Plus (premium economy) you can only be sat on the upper deck - that's where all that cabin's seats are to be found. It's also arguably one of the best premium economy products out there, with the window seats having access to a very useful side storage unit along the fuselage. Two things to be aware of, firstly that equipment can change and if that happens there isn't a lot you can do about it. You didn't mention the date of travel so I can't check that for you, but in any event there could be a last minute swap. Secondly A380s have a bit of a reliability problem. It seems to be getting better but the pademic meant the aircraft didn't fly, and that doesnt appear to have done them much good.
At other times, BA flies the A350? If so, is the PY seat as good or better than on the A380?
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I am flying at the end of May 2023 on the same route. I just checked and at present, BA has Boeing 777 scheduled on those flights. I just flew out of YVR on an A380. I believe they switch in June to this aircraft and it has a single deck.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 1:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by lsquare
At other times, BA flies the A350? If so, is the PY seat as good or better than on the A380?
The seat is more or less identical. And the A350 is a pleasant, quiet aircraft. But I can't really argue that WTP on an A350 is in any way special compared to the many other premium economy options on the market. The A380 has something of a wow factor, given her size, spacious cabin, quietness, stability, high staffing, side storage.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The seat is more or less identical. And the A350 is a pleasant, quiet aircraft. But I can't really argue that WTP on an A350 is in any way special compared to the many other premium economy options on the market. The A380 has something of a wow factor, given her size, spacious cabin, quietness, stability, high staffing, side storage.
Is BA still using a B777 for BA84/BA85?

Earlier you said that BA's PY seat on the A380 is arguably one of the best on the market. Did BA refresh the cabin within the past 5-10 years? Given the A350 is a newer airplane, I thought BA would use the best possible seat and have a modern interior/design.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:30 am

Earlier you said that BA's PY seat on the A380 is arguably one of the best on the market. Did BA refresh the cabin within the past 5-10 years? Given the A350 is a newer airplane, I thought BA would use the best possible seat and have a modern interior/design.
I think you may be coming at this from a different angle to me, not that there is anything at all wrong in your approach. I'm looking at the whole product in terms of the majesty of the aircraft and its superb ride throough the skies, rather than saying "is this seat a bit better than that seat?". My perspective is that BA's WTP seat is now pretty much standard across the longhaul fleet, with only small differences between the A350 and A380 and any other version. It's essentially the same seat. They are all bulk produced, put on a chasis and slotted on to the aircrafts. The context of this aircraft is just very different. I know some people would feel - for example - the recline on the BA seat is better (or worse) on some aircraft - it's not - and / or on another airline - it may be so. But in reality very few people use these micro differences to lead to different purchasing decisions. The premium economy seats across airlines are all within a fairly narrow specification range. An A380 clearly brings in passengers, it's a popular choice of aircraft, but the fares are more influential than anything else.

I'd also be a bit wary of "newer is better"......
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My least pleasant WT+ experiences have been on the A380 - cramped and rather too large cabin.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Is BA still using a B777 for BA84/BA85?

I'd say in the back of the plane the complete reverse is true. Modern interior/design means fit more in same space, more seats across, reduce pitch, reduce aisle width, reduce seat comfort. Cram more in is the modern design ethos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.