Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United HNL to EWR Upgrade Rules

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

United HNL to EWR Upgrade Rules

I am a UA M+ Gold customer, I booked a W fare ticket from HNL to EWR.

On other domestic segments, the United app has shown "CPU requested" and my name appears in the upgrade lists. But not for this flight.

There were around 10 names on the Premium Plus upgrade list a short time ago. I used the "request upgrade" option with a 30k mile co-pay, and now my name is #1 on the upgrade list, when previously I was not on the list at all.

I know that United treats Hawaii routes with different rules, but I don't fully understand what's going on here. Is there any way to get a CPU on HNL-EWR, with M+ status or fare class? Or did the other 10 names on the list also make a miles co-pay, and I just happen to rank #1?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
There are no complimentary upgrades on that flight. Upgrades can be requested with miles or PlusPoints. Waitees on list are ranked by status then fare basis.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Aug 15, 2022 at 9:35 pm
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!. John773
Originally Posted by John773
I know that United treats Hawaii routes with different rules, but I don't fully understand what's going on here. Is there any way to get a CPU on HNL-EWR, with M+ status or fare class? ,,,
Only West Coast - Hawaii flights are CPUable. The rest require mile/copay or PlusPoints
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I used the "request upgrade" option with a 30k mile co-pay, and now my name is #1 on the upgrade list, when previously I was not on the list at all.
A notoriously difficult upgrade - good luck!
MatthewLAX, jsloan and aquanine like this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know that United treats Hawaii routes with different rules, but I don't fully understand what's going on here. Is there any way to get a CPU on HNL-EWR, with M+ status or fare class? Or did the other 10 names on the list also make a miles co-pay, and I just happen to rank #1?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I suspect you'll find many, if not all, of the same names on the standby list. That would be an indication that they're flying as a non-revenue passenger (e.g., off-duty employee, retired employee, family member, etc.). Non-revenue passengers are allowed to list for business class for a small fee, but they appear after any paying customers.

It is unusual for a Gold passenger to be first on the list for that flight. Good luck!
Old Aug 15, 2022, 11:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There were around 10 names on the Premium Plus upgrade list a short time ago. I used the "request upgrade" option with a 30k mile co-pay, and now my name is #1 on the upgrade list, when previously I was not on the list at all.
There should be two lists
1 for PremPlus
1 for First

Is your position different on the two lists?

The ranking order of the lists are different ,
paid PremPlus has priority over economy for First and non GS, but upgrade support provided by GS, have priority over all but GS for First.
PremPlus waitlist is purely on travelers status and fare and some other secondary factors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.