Wiki Posts
Search

Will my bags be checked through

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Will my bags be checked through

I am flying SAT-DFW-DEN-DFW-SAT all in one day. Will my bags be checked on every flight or do I have to pick them up in denver and immediately check them back in. Everything is in one PNR
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
I am flying SAT-DFW-DEN-DFW-SAT all in one day. Will my bags be checked on every flight or do I have to pick them up in denver and immediately check them back in. Everything is in one PNR
Scratching my head... Checked bags on that Itinerary? RT
SFO777 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You’ll get some funny looks at check in, that’s for sure.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Yeah this doesn't even make sense... the default will be that it's a roundtrip with DEN as your destination... so when you go to check bags they'll be tagged to DEN. Which would be fine, assuming you needed to have bags in DEN, and then you'd recheck them in DEN back to SAT.

If you don't actually want the bags in DEN--which is what your "do I have to" language sounds like--then why would you have bags to check at all? The only thing I could think of is maybe SAT isn't your home and you're checking out of a hotel in the a.m. before flying and don't have anywhere to stash the bags, but why not leave them at the hotel? or an office? or the trunk of a cheap rental? etc...
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:00 am
Original Poster

I think they will assume I'm the crazy traveler
that wants to torture themselves with flying all day
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Yeah I'm checking out of the hotel early in the am and they won't let stash my bags due to "COVID". I think I can just leave it in the office where I work at. I just wanted to see if I can just have my bags follow me on the flight to save me a trip to the office.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Yeah this doesn't even make sense... the default will be that it's a roundtrip with DEN as your destination... so when you go to check bags they'll be tagged to DEN. Which would be fine, assuming you needed to have bags in DEN, and then you'd recheck them in DEN back to SAT.

If you don't actually want the bags in DEN--which is what your "do I have to" language sounds like--then why would you have bags to check at all? The only thing I could think of is maybe SAT isn't your home and you're checking out of a hotel in the a.m. before flying and don't have anywhere to stash the bags, but why not leave them at the hotel? or an office? or the trunk of a cheap rental? etc...
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I think they will assume I'm the crazy traveler
that wants to torture themselves with flying all day
No, lots of people do same-day round trips for lots of reasons. That part is not unusual. Checking bags from your origin back to your origin, however, is.

Yeah I'm checking out of the hotel early in the am and they won't let stash my bags due to "COVID". I think I can just leave it in the office where I work at. I just wanted to see if I can just have my bags follow me on the flight to save me a trip to the office.

Yeah that's the only thing that could have made sense.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if they don’t follow you and go missing for a few days?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a round-trip ticket with final ticketed destinations of DEN and SAT. AA will check the bags to DEN, where OP may claim them and check them back in for SAT or he may lug them around all day in DEN and then check them in for SAT. But, AA is not equipped to check the bags through the same airport on the same day, e.g. DFW.
TravelerMSY and freeagent like this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:54 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I'm assuming the OP will have bags from the prior event and doesn't want to schlep them around. He/she needs to decide what's more of a hassle. Lugging the bags around all day or collecting them and rechecking at DEN. I'd personally go for option 1.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:23 am
Suspended

Depending on where OP is staying and who and how it is staffed, there may well be someone who is more than willing to hold the bags for a nice out-sized tip, even if the property has a policy to the contrary. We're looking at one day, presumably less than 24 hours.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:27 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
When I did a PHX-DFW-AUS-PHX trip a few years ago to close on our house, I checked bag. The check-in agent at PHX asked me, "where would you like to pick up your bag?"
The bag made it to AUS with no issues, and I didn't check a bag on the way back. Definitely make it clear when you check-in (if you bring a bag with you), as otherwise the bag could get stuck in DEN.

Personally, I'd just keep the bag in a rental car, unless you'll be returning that too. If that's the case, I'd look up a service such as this (I've never used it and have no idea how it works):
Luggage Storage Service San Antonio Airport– Cubby (choosecubby.com)
MathMusic likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
I could see one bringing their bags on a trip/MR like this in the event of IRROPS and you get stuck somewhere overnight. I'd at least bring something for that contingency.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
I could see one bringing their bags on a trip/MR like this in the event of IRROPS and you get stuck somewhere overnight. I'd at least bring something for that contingency.
Carry on ought to easily be good for 3-4 days (much more for many).
roadtriper likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Years ago, I flew LGA to DFW and back on the same day to drop off some stuff at our Dallas office. I checked (1) luggage on the way there due to the content weight, but carried it onto the plane for the return trip as it had been emptied completely.

I am flying SAT-DFW-DEN-DFW-SAT all in one day.
The bolded contradict each other. If you had meant to say "all on one ticket" instead of "all in one day", then you would be:

1) flying from SAT to DEN via DFW
2) STOP for the amount of time you need to be in the Denver area
3) flying from DEN to SAT via DFW

By the way, what kind of ***** hotel does not allow guests bring their bags into paid room? I'd recommend switching to a normal hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.