Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points and cash

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Question Points and cash

Can you use "points and cash" to get a 4th night free or is the 4th night free available if 'paying' fully in points?

thanks
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

I believe it's fully in points only. Someone can correct me.

However, it's a bit silly, because you can make a P+C reservation, which means you're buying points. Then cancel the reservation and get the points (including the purchased points) refunded. Then make an all-points reservation and get 4th night free. Of course, you don't need to buy the points via a P+C reservation at the hotel where you intend to stay; you can buy them (via P+C) at a hotel with a better "sell" rate, if you find one. Or buy them outright if there is a decent sale ongoing.

Note that when you buy the points via P+C (I don't know about during a sale, but I suspect it's the same), you are not buying them from IHG, so there is no reason to use an IHG co-brand credit card.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by serpens

However, it's a bit silly, because you can make a P+C reservation, which means you're buying points. Then cancel the reservation and get the points (including the purchased points) refunded. Then make an all-points reservation and get 4th night free. Of course, you don't need to buy the points via a P+C reservation at the hotel where you intend to stay; you can buy them (via P+C) at a hotel with a better "sell" rate, if you find one. Or buy them outright if there is a decent sale ongoing.

Note that when you buy the points via P+C (I don't know about during a sale, but I suspect it's the same), you are not buying them from IHG, so there is no reason to use an IHG co-brand credit card.

I looked into that but somewhere along in my calculations, it didn't save as much as I thought it would. I'll redo the math... with a better sell rate. thanks
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:56 am

I have been looking into the P+C option. My future bookings are tentative , but I do plan on using them if things open up. Does IHG frown on cancelling to many P+C bookings ? Any problems with accounts getting flagged ? Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by anc305
I have been looking into the P+C option. My future bookings are tentative , but I do plan on using them if things open up. Does IHG frown on cancelling to many P+C bookings ? Any problems with accounts getting flagged ? Thanks.
Yes it does.

Someone last year had their account closed down for doing that very thing losing all the points they had legitimately earned and bought in the process as well as those from numerous P+C bookings that they had done and cancelled.

I’ll see if I can find the thread.

and this is the one I was thinking of

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...d-account.html

so I slightly mis remembered and the closure wasn’t entirety due to P+C bookings but they were a fair chunk of the activity IHG clearly disliked.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Mar 8, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
4th night free? Since when?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by craigthemif
4th night free? Since when?
It's a benefit on award stays for holders of the Chase IHG Premier credit card that was introduced several years ago.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by swag
[...] holders of the Chase IHG Premier credit card [...]
I read (here on FT) that it applies to holders of the $29 Traveler card as well.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Of course, you don't need to buy the points via a P+C reservation at the hotel where you intend to stay; you can buy them (via P+C) at a hotel with a better "sell" rate, if you find one.

Is there a method to find hotels with a better "sell rate"? Or is it just a matter of randomly selecting other hotels to try?
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Is there a method to find hotels with a better "sell rate"? Or is it just a matter of randomly selecting other hotels to try?
I know of no method other than checking other hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.