Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Amex New 2021 Benefits for HH Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Several

Just received the email yesterday that Amex is continuing to offer a spend bonus toward elite status with HHonors into 2021. Specifically:

Enjoy More Flexibility and Value with Hilton Honors American Express Cards

Card Members now have more time to turn everyday spend into Elite Status faster and use Free Weekend Night Rewards any night of the week. Terms Apply.

“1. Earning Base Points toward Elite Qualification and Lifetime Diamond Status

The Bonus Points earned from eligible purchases on your Hilton Honors American Express Card that post to your Hilton Honors account through December 31, 2021 (“Promotion Period”) will be considered Base Points. Base Points count toward Elite tier qualification through the calendar year ending December 31, 2021 and Lifetime Diamond Status. There is no limit to the number of Bonus Points that will be counted as Base Points during the Promotion Period.”

To me, this reads as all points earned on the card count towards elite status in 2021. There’s no differentiation like 2020’s promo where $1000 in spend earned 1000 elite qualifying base points, so ideally Diamond can be had with $20,000 in non-bonus category spend.

More details on the website here:
https://covid.hilton.com/#modal-enjo...-express-cards
DELee and SeekerOfTheWay like this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by UVU Wolverine
Just received the email yesterday that Amex is continuing to offer a spend bonus toward elite status with HHonors into 2021. Specifically:

1. Earning Base Points toward Elite Qualification and Lifetime Diamond Status

The Bonus Points earned from eligible purchases on your Hilton Honors American Express Card that post to your Hilton Honors account through December 31, 2021 (“Promotion Period”) will be considered Base Points. Base Points count toward Elite tier qualification through the calendar year ending December 31, 2021 and Lifetime Diamond Status. There is no limit to the number of Bonus Points that will be counted as Base Points during the Promotion Period.

To me, this reads as all points earned on the card count towards elite status in 2021. There’s no differentiation like 2020’s promo where $1000 in spend earned 1000 rite qualifying base points, so ideally Diamond can be had with $20,000 in non-bonus category spend.

More details on the website here:
https://covid.hilton.com/#modal-enjo...-express-cards
Well, for me this is awesome - I've been sockdrawing my Marriott Visa card because of this in 2020 and will continue using the Aspire AMEX as my family's primary card in 2021*.

David

*: except for those merchants that don't welcome AMEX...looking at you Costco...
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
*: except for those merchants that don't welcome AMEX...looking at you Costco...
Can you not buy the Costco shop card (gift card basically) online with an Amex? I thought you could?
Old Jan 22, 2021, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Can you not buy the Costco shop card (gift card basically) online with an Amex? I thought you could?
Hmm. Just checked - AMEX not accepted even online:

Still looking at you Costco...

David
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DELee
Hmm. Just checked - AMEX not accepted even online:

Still looking at you Costco...

David
Bummer. Don’t know why I thought it was. I’ll keep using my 3% cash back BoA card for that then.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Just confirmed this with my January Amex statement closing. All of the points earned (including bonus categories like grocery stores and restaurants) count towards elite status.

Looks like I might try and shoot for Diamond with spend on the card this year.
DELee, dw and Bowgie like this.
Old Feb 2, 2021, 5:24 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Just confirmed this with my January Amex statement closing. All of the points earned (including bonus categories like grocery stores and restaurants) count towards elite status.

I haven’t even really been following this, but noticed the same for my January statement. For those of us with the Business or Surpass Amex who were going to spend $15k anyway for the free night cert, it’s likely that with a mix of bonus category and regular spending, that $15k alone will be enough for Diamond.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Huh, I just noticed this was a thing, too.

"Diamond status is 48,784 Points away!

You’ve earned 11,216 Base Points this year."

and it's only mid-February and I have 0 stays. neat.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Huh, I just noticed this was a thing, too.

"Diamond status is 48,784 Points away!

You’ve earned 11,216 Base Points this year."

and it's only mid-February and I have 0 stays. neat.
I'm surprised it has not garnered more attention, but many cards are offering incentives to spend so this may have slipped through the cracks.

Either way, it's a good way to secure diamond for 2022 without staying at an HH property this year. I'm still gold with HH since they did the elite extension, but I focused on Hyatt last year and will likely this year for actual stays. I'd prefer Hilton for their international footprint, but even 2021 is looking like international travel will be difficult so securing diamond for 2022 seems like the next best option without having to focus on Hilton stays this year. Then again, most places that I'm looking for domestic travel this year do not have a Hyatt around so Hilton will still get my business.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 3:00 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
All Amex Surpass Points Count towards Diamond Status!

I noticed my January 6x gas and grocery spend count as base points towards status. So $10,000 in 6x category spend in 2021 will get me Diamond status.

I also noticed a $10 credit on a Panera take-out order. $10 off each month in 2021 for restaurant spend on the personal card. Business cards gets a discount on cell phone and internet service instead..

Also, 10,000 bonus points on every $5,000 in spend by June 30, 2021. Amex is really trying hard this year!
SeekerOfTheWay likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Also, 10,000 bonus points on every $5,000 in spend by June 30, 2021. Amex is really trying hard this year!
Just a cautionary note in case you are planning on these 10k points to count towards status ... they do NOT! Got 30k bonus points credited this a.m. and they did not count towards status or LT points.
Not consequential in my case, but I thought I'd post it before others are counting on these ...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by cfischer
Just a cautionary note in case you are planning on these 10k points to count towards status ... they do NOT! Got 30k bonus points credited this a.m. and they did not count towards status or LT points.
Not consequential in my case, but I thought I'd post it before others are counting on these ...
Let us know if that changes and it is just maybe a timing issue with the points posting and the count towards diamond updated. It seems odd that some bonus points count and not others when the say all points.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by fwfdan
Let us know if that changes and it is just maybe a timing issue with the points posting and the count towards diamond updated. It seems odd that some bonus points count and not others when the say all points.
It says bonus points from purchases. Wouldn't surprise me that signup bonus doesn't qualify. Would make it way too easy, too.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 3:34 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by Smiley90
It says bonus points from purchases. Wouldn't surprise me that signup bonus doesn't qualify. Would make it way too easy, too.
agree - didn't even think about new card member points. I just think the 10k for 5k spend sounds like a spend bonus. But I have been wrong before (too many times!)
Old Feb 28, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I'm surprised it has not garnered more attention, but many cards are offering incentives to spend so this may have slipped through the cracks.
My working hypothesis is that if the commissions for travel/points blogs are higher for the Aspire than Surpass/NAF. If anywhere from $2500ish (Surpass Hilton spend) to $20k (noncategory) gets Diamond, that makes the Aspire less of a slam dunk.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.