Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

RUCs/GUCs expiring Mar-Jun to be extended to Dec 31st (COVID19)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
"Regional upgrade certificates that are currently open/unused and were scheduled to expire in March, April, May, or June 2020 will be extended to expire Dec 30, 2020." In my case, the agent had to re-open the certificates since they were used/closed from the confirmed upgrades. She said "This process normally takes 7-10 days but may take longer given the current situation."

UPDATE: announced along with the status extension news (see the other thread's wiki), DL also is extending all certificates by 6 months.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

I've seen a couple threads about Delta extending status and other items related to the Coronavirus issues. Something I haven't seen addressed is the extension of the RUC/GUC's.

Since a lot of flights are being cancelled and with all the travel restrictions I'm wondering if Delta will extend the RUC's/GUC's? Rome was a trip I was planning on making this year with a GUC and I know a lot of people use them on Asia flights.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Since most of us have never figured out how to use these in the first place, I think is exactly the kind of enhancement Delta will stumble upon, when they have time to catch their breath.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I think that all the airlines are going to extend status through the end of 2021, it's just a matter of time.

Once no one has status anymore, we'll all be free agents, and the airlines need people to stay addicted to their particular brand.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Hard to use them when there aren't any flights, isn't it? Now with all EU flights banned for 30 days, its going to be many months before operations get anywhere back to normal.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 7:55 pm

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Wish they will also extend Skybonus reward (I have one transpacific impossible to use).
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You might be able to contact them and have the points deposited back so you can select a different reward.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: Sky team, hhonors, Marriott
Used GUCs and flight cancellation

Along these lines, I hope DL will redeposit confirmed GUCs when associated ticket is cancelled? Anyone with experience in this regard? I have 2 "used" for an (was) upcoming flight this month to IAH-CDG-NBO/rt.

Last edited by Msafiritx; Mar 11, 2020 at 8:16 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes they will redeposit/reopen the certs but you'll likely have to contact them and provide the details and ask for them to get reopened due to the cancellation.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've been lucky enough to make good on almost all of these certificates, but this is one of the most illusory benefits of the frequent flyer program. This is because Delta does not seem to have any inventory for these on the flights you want to use them on, such as ATL to anywhere on the west coast.

Delta should do better for its "most loyal customers" on this front.
jamesteroh likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ND76
I've been lucky enough to make good on almost all of these certificates, but this is one of the most illusory benefits of the frequent flyer program. This is because Delta does not seem to have any inventory for these on the flights you want to use them on, such as ATL to anywhere on the west coast.

Delta should do better for its "most loyal customers" on this front.
Agree. Be nice if Delta had x number of seats on each flight that had inventory for RUC/GUC's. Iritating when F is completely open and they tell you that you have to waitlist and then they are selling F upgrades for dirt cheap instead of clearing an RUC for their most loyal customers.

I've been pretty lucky using GUC's but only fly to Europe but sometimes I have to take some weird routings. Now RUC's are another story, I had a couple DTW to LAS, LAX or SFO trips I wanted to use them on last and was waitlisted and never cleared and got stuck using them on a DTW/YYZ trip.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
I think that all the airlines are going to extend status through the end of 2021, it's just a matter of time.

Once no one has status anymore, we'll all be free agents, and the airlines need people to stay addicted to their particular brand.
I'll actually be fine so I hope they don't do anything. I'll be the top of every upgrade list
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gitismatt
I'll actually be fine so I hope they don't do anything. I'll be the top of every upgrade list
Same here. I just met the spend requirement on my am ex so that's a lot of wasted spend if they do extend it a year
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:46 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Diamond
Originally Posted by gitismatt
I see you are PM...
Will remain a lots of DM, you will go up in the list... yes. At top... I will not "bet" on this.
Take in consideration, the numbers of flights will go down. This mean many DM will be "split" between the remaining flights.
If Delta reduce the level qualification, and you can "reach" a DM level, situation will be different.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FBplatinum
I see you are PM...
Will remain a lots of DM, you will go up in the list... yes. At top... I will not "bet" on this.
Take in consideration, the numbers of flights will go down. This mean many DM will be "split" between the remaining flights.
If Delta reduce the level qualification, and you can "reach" a DM level, situation will be different.
If they do extend/change status requirements due to this (which I think they should), I hope they offer some kind of extra benefits for those people that still have the required number of MQMs/MQD-waiver. Maybe a couple extra GUC's or some bonus miles or decrease the requirements in 2021 for those members for 2022 status.

Hopefully for those members who have flights booked with GUC's that expire this month or next month Delta will extend an extenion on
rogo likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, DL PL
Two RUC expire 3/28... guess no way to use them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.