Search

Noticed Something Odd - Way to Delay Paying Bill

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2020, 4:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA: CK
Red face Noticed Something Odd - Way to Delay Paying Bill

I've been noticing something over the years, which I think I've just confirmed. One can delay (or lessen) a payment due by making a large charge and then immediately refunding it. Here is my example:
  • My payment due (Oct 1) is ~$17,000
  • Two days ago, I made a charge for ~$5,000
  • Yesterday, I refunded that purchase, and I got the ~$5,000 credit overnight last night
  • My payment due (Oct 1) is now ~$12,000
It seems that the refund of the charge I just made, in this current cycle, is reducing the amount I owe on Oct 1, and the remaining ~$5,000 from my last bill has presumably been moved to be due Nov 1. So theoretically, the other day, instead of a ~$5,000 charge that I immediately refunded, I could have done the same with a ~$17,000 charge/refund, and basically delayed my payment due by a whole month? Do I have this right?

Edit to add: This was not my intent; it's just something I noticed.

Thanks,
-BlooJoo

Last edited by BlooJoo; Sep 23, 2020 at 4:52 am
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think a true-up at the end of your billing cycle would uncover your little trick.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:34 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I think a true-up at the end of your billing cycle would uncover your little trick.
Ha! Not trying to trick the system. But how do you mean? I previously owed $17,000 on Oct 1. After that bill closed (Sep 7, I think), I charged and immediately refunded $5,000. Amex counted the $5,000 refund as a credit/payment towards the outstanding balance due Oct 1, meaning I now only owe $12,000. I realize that the additional $5,000 from the original Sep 7 bill will of course be due, but it's been pushed off to Nov 1. Just interesting...
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
I think I noticed something similar when it happened with my corporate card. At the end of the day, you end up paying so I don't see a big issue, but you're right, it's confusing sometimes.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:11 am

The credit card version of check kiting. I would assume if you did it often enough AMEX would just close the account.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:17 am

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
Test it out, by all means, but I wouldn’t be surprised that upon reconciliation you get hit for interest on the $5000 rightfully due.
Happy and mhdena like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpurnell
The credit card version of check kiting. I would assume if you did it often enough AMEX would just close the account.
Yeah, no intention of doing it often. It just happened because I booked and hotel and then cancelled it almost immediately. I'll have to look up check kiting.

Thank you for using your first post, eight years after joining FT, to respond here!
Gasolin likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
Test it out, by all means, but I wouldn’t be surprised that upon reconciliation you get hit for interest on the $5000 rightfully due.
What do you mean by "test it out"? I plan to pay the amount due as stated by Amex on October 1.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
This isn't new and occurs when making legitimate purchases and refunds during the billing cycles (or you cancel an airline ticket booked and paid for earlier in the year and the refund hits) but I would assume the AMEX fraud algorithm would quickly sniff out someone doing this with regularity with apparent fraudulent intent.

With all the flight cancellations this year, this has happened to me with some regularity (flight I booked last year with AMEX Plat gets canceled, I opt to take refund vs. flight credit, refund issued to my AMEX Plat, refund amount counts against my outstanding payment balance).
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bpurnell
That's what Chase appears to have done in this example which occurred inadvertently:

Chase closed my CSR. Why?
SPN Lifer, Often1, msp3 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
What do you mean by "test it out"? I plan to pay the amount due as stated by Amex on October 1.
Pay $12k on a statement balance of $17k, even though you had a $5k purchase and return in a subsequent return in the following statement period.

I might consider downloading your statement which would have been generated a few weeks ago and seeing if its been updated from $17k to $12k payment due, or if it still reflects $17k due.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
That's what Chase appears to have done in this example which occurred inadvertently:

Chase closed my CSR. Why?
Wow, that is absurd (and scary).
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jags86
Pay $12k on a statement balance of $17k, even though you had a $5k purchase and return in a subsequent return in the following statement period.

I might consider downloading your statement which would have been generated a few weeks ago and seeing if its been updated from $17k to $12k payment due, or if it still reflects $17k due.
Logging into Amex shows me that I owe $12K on Oct 1. Why would I pay anything different from that?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Wait, I said that happened to me for my corporate card, but on my personal Platinum, I am pretty sure that all refunds are counted to "reduce" the amount I need to pay but autopay gets the whole amount and I never have this situation.

Are you doing manual payments? If so, I would still pay the remaining portion of the $12K on time. That's what autopay would do.
Now that I think about it, the corporate card is not on autopay, hence the behavior I described.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Logging into Amex shows me that I owe $12K on Oct 1. Why would I pay anything different from that?
I'm telling you to do it. And I'm curious what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.