Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$1 refund to credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2020, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

$1 refund to credit card?

I saw two $1 refund/credits from AA to my credit card. But I can’t figure out why. Anyone else receive the refund and know why?
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Did you make a purchase recently with AA. Often times a $1 charge is used as a preauthorization on a credit card to ensure its a valid card.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 8:30 pm

$1 dollar is often a valid card pre auth amount before purchase.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 10:12 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Yeah, did you buy on-board wifi or snacks or anything?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:16 am

No, this was AA giving a credit, not a charge or authorization for $1. This will be a giant pain for me as they put it on my corporate card. So now I have a negative balance with my expense reporting and no offsetting receipt or purchase. Thanks AA.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Is it possible that any previous purchases OP made on that credit card with AA (tickets, in-flight purchases, etc.), AA has charged $1.00 extra by mistake?

OP do you check monthly statements to make sure what was charged on the credit card was exactly same amount shown on a receipt?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MIAFlyer
No, this was AA giving a credit, not a charge or authorization for $1. This will be a giant pain for me as they put it on my corporate card. So now I have a negative balance with my expense reporting and no offsetting receipt or purchase. Thanks AA.
Your company is going to give you a hard time about $1 being placed back on your card?
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:40 am
Original Poster

The odd thing about the $1 is that I have not flown or purchased anything from AA at all this year. My last flight was literally on Dec 31, 2019.I'm just wondering if they actually owe me more than $1 for something that they messed up (and that list can be long!)
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SEA2DCA
The odd thing about the $1 is that I have not flown or purchased anything from AA at all this year. My last flight was literally on Dec 31, 2019.I'm just wondering if they actually owe me more than $1 for something that they messed up (and that list can be long!)
It's certainly interesting, enough to a point where I'm going to go back through my statements and see if I've received anything similar from AA in the last year.

Even if it were an authorization, those normally just disappear without actually showing up as a refund.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by SEA2DCA
I am in a similar situation -- but with four separate refunds for $1 each.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Your company is going to give you a hard time about $1 being placed back on your card?
My job would. My finance department goes absolutely OCD trying to make the numbers line up perfectly. However, this would simply be a matter of filling out a "missing receipt" form for the $1 charge or credit as needed. They don't look too closely as long as it's not an ongoing recurring issue.
cmd320 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JMorgana
My job would. My finance department goes absolutely OCD trying to make the numbers line up perfectly. However, this would simply be a matter of filling out a "missing receipt" form for the $1 charge or credit as needed. They don't look too closely as long as it's not an ongoing recurring issue.
Most finance departments are that way lol
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some companies test an account by making a small charge and then making a matching refund.

Maybe AA was testing your account, but forgot to make the small charge before making the (supposedly matching) refund?

Anyway, it's probably going to cost you more than $1 to actually figure out why.
cmd320 and SEA2DCA like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Some companies test an account by making a small charge and then making a matching refund.

Maybe AA was testing your account, but forgot to make the small charge before making the (supposedly matching) refund?

Anyway, it's probably going to cost you more than $1 to actually figure out why.
Maybe someone contacting AA for an answer might be useful for all of us.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
A $1 refund you know nothing about? Ignore it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.