Wiki Posts
Search

Weather Impact: August 12 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2020, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Weather Impact: August 12 2020

It looks like some potential for storms to cause impact to LHR this afternoon; CU are building over W London and stroms now starting; it has the potential to be quite large IMO:

EGLL 121320Z AUTO 13006KT 080V170 9999 NCD 33/16 Q1013 TEMPO 4000 +SHRA
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
https://www.lightningmaps.org/ showing significant lightning activity on the approach flight paths at the moment (1515)
alex67500 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Should be a fun approach I can hear thunder in the distance c.20 km north west of LHR
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum

Yes not pleasant
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by smckay
It looks like some potential for storms to cause impact to LHR this afternoon; CU are building over W London and stroms now starting; it has the potential to be quite large IMO:

EGLL 121320Z AUTO 13006KT 080V170 9999 NCD 33/16 Q1013 TEMPO 4000 +SHRA
UK South east presently has ample runway and air space capacity to divert around, separate out to deal with this,
Old Aug 12, 2020, 11:54 am

Ok, I’ll bite, runway capacity has nothing to do with this. Please explain your airspace capacity quote? How exactly does ATC overcome this situation? I know because I’m an expert, but please give us your solutions, I’d be fascinated to know where you think we are going wrong.
DYKWIA likes this.

Last edited by atcodave; Aug 12, 2020 at 1:43 pm
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by atcodave
Ok, I’ll bite, runway capacity has nothing to do with this. Please explain your airspace capacity quote? How exactly does ATC overcome this situation? I know because I’m an expert, but please give us your solutions, I’d be fascinated to know where think we are going wrong.
Why does Heathrow experience huge delays far in excess of that experienced by other less congested airports when adverse weather strikes in non-Covid times?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:30 pm

Because Heathrow operates at 100% capacity for almost all of the day, every day. Any event, weather is one of them, and This will reduce capacity, therefore immediately flow rates End up in delays.
T8191 and HarryHolden68 like this.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by atcodave
Because Heathrow operates at 100% capacity for almost all of the day, every day. Any event, weather is one of them, and This will reduce capacity, therefore immediately flow rates End up in delays.
Ok, so the current reduction in scheduled flights provides a greater flexibility to accommodate adverse weather like today without significant delays?
Old Aug 12, 2020, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Ok, so the current reduction in scheduled flights provides a greater flexibility to accommodate adverse weather like today without significant delays?
Exactly so. Given a bit of space and time, any ATCO should be able to thread inbound traffic through the gaps, either by vectoring or timing. LHR usually has very little space or time to play with under normal cicumstances.

I learned this aspect of the trade in Singapore, recovering Lightnings etc through occasional ‘nasty weather’ and with minimal diversion options ... or indeed fuel! It was not unusual for a Lightning pilot to call Local 200 miles out and say “Forget the Met, what does it look like out of the window?” If there were holes in the Cb pattern, he would come home, otherwise divert to Butterworth ... if the whole of Singapore was smothered, that was his only option, some 350 miles NNW, IIRC.

Fun times for a young Mil ATCO ... you learned a lot, very quickly!!
Old Aug 12, 2020, 2:27 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Exactly so. Given a bit of space and time, any ATCO should be able to thread inbound traffic through the gaps, either by vectoring or timing. LHR usually has very little space or time to play with under normal cicumstances.

I learned this aspect of the trade in Singapore, recovering Lightnings etc through occasional ‘nasty weather’ and with minimal diversion options ... or indeed fuel! It was not unusual for a Lightning pilot to call Local 200 miles out and say “Forget the Met, what does it look like out of the window?” If there were holes in the Cb pattern, he would come home, otherwise divert to Butterworth ... if the whole of Singapore was smothered, that was his only option, some 350 miles NNW, IIRC.

Fun times for a young Mil ATCO ... you learned a lot, very quickly!!
Aaahh, the Lightning, the only ever UK designed supersonic fighter
RB211 likes this.

Last edited by BOH; Aug 13, 2020 at 12:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.