Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA ticket on Cape Air metal--baggage weight restrictions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire

Hi all, I can't seem to find the answer to this.

I need to fly STT-SJU-IAH and while the travel is ticketed on United, the first flight is on Cape Air, on a Cessna 402. I need to check two 50 pound bags or I need to find a different way to fly home. Has anyone run up against a baggage weight restriction on such a small plane? Thank you!
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
https://www.capeair.com/flying_with_us/baggage.html
Old Jul 15, 2020, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Thank you! So it looks like I can check one 50 pound bag if I am reading this correctly?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Thank you! So it looks like I can check one 50 pound bag if I am reading this correctly?
Unless this is part of a longer itinerary starting in some location where UA still allows two free bags to all passengers, your baggage allowance would be one free bag at 50 lbs; a second will cost $40. However, the fact that they have fees listed at all should assuage your fears that the plane would be too small to accept a second bag.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jsloan
Unless this is part of a longer itinerary starting in some location where UA still allows two free bags to all passengers, your baggage allowance would be one free bag at 50 lbs; a second will cost $40. However, the fact that they have fees listed at all should assuage your fears that the plane would be too small to accept a second bag.
Thank you. I ended up calling Cape Air and talking to the rep. She suggested that I try to find a flight with a smaller passenger manifest so I chose one with 3 passengers instead of 6 (the plane holds 9). Thanks all!

UPDATE: I've now flown the flight. There ended up being 7 passengers (of 9 possible). The two bags were accepted without issue and I wasn't charged for the second because of PP status. :-). Thanks again!

Last edited by JNelson113; Jul 16, 2020 at 10:55 am
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Feel free to move if this is in the wrong place- closest thread I could find to Cape Air/UA

First trip to OWB in a couple of weeks. Booked ORD-STL-OWB using my firm's agency. Didn't take a good look at the booking, and now realize that STL-OWB leg is on 9K. At the time of booking, I assumed this was a milk run, not a codeshare with someone else (travel software doesn't say if it's UX/codeshare).

- I can't find anywhere if UA/9K interline bags. If they interline, I have two checked bags planned for this trip- I realize I probably have to pay for the 2nd bag on the 9k portion but how do I do this without leaving the secure area?
- 55-minute connection at STL- does anyone know how quickly the 9k shuttle can go from C concourse to A?
- Does checking in with UA check me in with 9k or is this a different process?
- Is this a stupid booking? Should I just cancel and rebook into BNA/LOU and drive?

Last edited by CPS89; Jul 10, 2022 at 4:36 pm
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPS89
- I can't find anywhere if UA/9K interline bags. If they interline, I have two checked bags planned for this trip- I realize I probably have to pay for the 9k portion but how do I do this without leaving the secure area?
Itd be exceptionally weird to have a codeshare agreement in place with somebody but no interline baggage agreement. Rest assured, your bags can be checked through. Furthermore, itd be a violation of DOT regulation for 9K to charge you for them, once theyve been checked to OWB.

- Is this a stupid booking? Should I just cancel and rebook into BNA/LOU and drive?
I dont think youre going to find any scheduled service into LOU (Louisville Bowman Field).

It probably depends upon how much youre going to be affected by a delay / missed flight. If you misconnect at STL, youre not going to have a lot of good options. The STL-OWB flight is once daily. WN flies STL-BNA, and there are two one-stop STL-BNA options on 9K.. but the second one of those is your STL-OWB-BNA flight. I dont see anyone flying STL-SDF, STL-PAH, or STL-EVV at the moment. So if you misconnect, youre (a) driving from STL; (b) waiting a full day for the next 9K flight; or (c) heading back through Chicago to get to BNA/SDF anyway.

Personally, as much as I enjoy flying to small airports, and as much as Id enjoy getting something like STL-OWB on my route map, Id probably fly to SDF and drive or, at least, take an earlier connecting flight into STL.
CPS89 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
I dont think youre going to find any scheduled service into LOU (Louisville Bowman Field).
Oops!

Thank you for the insight as always. My thinking is similar to yours- it would be cool to check out this small airport on an even smaller plane.

However, anything that can go wrong has gone wrong for me in the airport lately. I'll probably just rebook and try the Cessna another time.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Unless it's critical that you arrive at a certain time, I would keep the existing itinerary if I were you.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:01 pm

Feel free to move if this is in the wrong place- closest thread I could find to Cape Air/UA

First trip to OWB in a couple of weeks. Booked ORD-STL-OWB using my firm's agency. Didn't take a good look at the booking, and now realize that STL-OWB leg is on 9K. At the time of booking, I assumed this was a milk run, not a codeshare with someone else (travel software doesn't say if it's UX/codeshare).

- I can't find anywhere if UA/9K interline bags. If they interline, I have two checked bags planned for this trip- I realize I probably have to pay for the 2nd bag on the 9k portion but how do I do this without leaving the secure area?
- 55-minute connection at STL- does anyone know how quickly the 9k shuttle can go from C concourse to A?
- Does checking in with UA check me in with 9k or is this a different process?
Terminal 1 at STL isnt very big. Theres no reason it should take you more than 5 minutes to get from the Cape Air gate over to a United gate. And I have flown into STL on Cape Air from MWA and they checked the bags through, it was quick and easy, so hopefully that process hasnt changed.
jsloan and CPS89 like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 3:35 pm

Check in early!

My experience with them taught me they will bump people off if the plane load becomes too heavy. The last to check in is the first to go. So, check in as soon as possible!
CPS89 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.