Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Health and Fitness > Coronavirus and travel
Reload this Page >

CPH to YUL for non-Canadian. Immigration, quarantine, dokuments of legal admittance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CPH to YUL for non-Canadian. Immigration, quarantine, dokuments of legal admittance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold (E+) TK Elite (*G) QR Gold (OW Sapphire) IHG Platinum, B&W Diamont, Ascott Gold

I have to fly to YUL from CPH in about 8 weeks time.
​​​​​I'm not Canadian but my close family is, so I'm within the excempt bracket of non admissible foreigners.

My question is does any of you have first hand information on EU to Québec travel, i have been reading I'm sure everything there is on travel to Canada during covid 19. Plus I have been in contact with the Canadian embassy in Denmark and UK (London), but I haven't been able to get a conclusive answer to how it work in the real world.
I am aware of the app and being available for calls from health's officials during quarantine.

So my questions is as follows:
​​​​
Emigration.
1. What kind of documentation do they want as proof of relation to a Canadian citizen? Would a foto copy of a relatives Canadian passport be sufficient?
2. In terms of the location for the 14 days quarantine is an address sufficient?

Travel from the airport:
1. Would a family member (under 65) be allowed to pick me up and drive me to the apartment, I'm going to be staying during my quarantine?
Or do I have to rent a car?

If somebody has information on this and maby other stuff I would be really grateful!
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:43 am
Suspended

I think you need to write to Immigration to get the approval first. I think you'd be fine with someone driving you but you'd both need to wear a mask (even though they have no way of checking). You need to download an app before you arrive as well.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 6:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL FB Gold (E+) TK Elite (*G) QR Gold (OW Sapphire) IHG Platinum, B&W Diamont, Ascott Gold
Originally Posted by mcbg1
I think you need to write to Immigration to get the approval first. I think you'd be fine with someone driving you but you'd both need to wear a mask (even though they have no way of checking). You need to download an app before you arrive as well.
Thanks for the reply!
The thing is, that on the official webside it states you don't need an approval in forehand. You just need documentation of legal admittance and place for quarantine.
But I'm unable to obtain information of which kind of documentation is the right one?

I have been to YUL 8 to 10 times a year for some time now and immigration has always been really nice (and yes the two words really nice and immigration can actually be combined
But times are different now and I would really not like be turned away at the border.

​​​​​​
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I'm pretty sure that all your questions are answered on the official website. Specifically:
Originally Posted by GR15
1. What kind of documentation do they want as proof of relation to a Canadian citizen? Would a foto copy of a relatives Canadian passport be sufficient?
The official site is quite clear here. Only "immediate family members" of Canadian citizens are eligible to enter Canada. This is defined as spouse or common-law partner, dependent child, parent, step-parent, guardian or tutor. You need documentary evidence of your immediate family member’s status as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (e.g. passport or resident card) and evidence of your relationship to that person (e.g. marriage certificate or birth certificate)
2. In terms of the location for the 14 days quarantine is an address sufficient?
You must provide a detailed quarantine plan, including details of where you'll be staying, how you will get there and how you will access essential services during the quarantine period. Failure to adhere to the plan carries very severe penalties.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Just to be clear, by close family, do you mean immediate family as Canada defines it?All spelled out on the website:Documents to use as proof that you’re an immediate family member

You must have 2 types of documents:
  • one that shows your immediate family member’s status as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • one that shows your relationship to that family member
Documents that show your immediate family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status include
  • a Canadian passport
  • proof of Canadian citizenship, such as a citizenship certificate, citizenship card, or provincial or territorial birth certificate
  • a Canadian permanent resident card
  • a Canadian permanent resident travel document
Documents that show your relationship to that family member include
  • a marriage certificate or proof of common-law status (documents showing a shared address)
  • a birth certificate
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) for the family class (the COPR category under Application Details will be FC) or under the One-Year Window of Opportunity Program (coded OYW under Special Program)
  • other documents that show an immediate family connection (for example, correspondence from us showing a spousal sponsorship application in progress or documents that show a shared home address)
Note: Paper and electronic copies of the documents above are accepted. Please note that the documents above are examples only. An officer may request or accept other documents as needed.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...xemptions.html
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Just to be clear, by close family, do you mean immediate family as Canada defines it?All spelled out on the website:Documents to use as proof that you’re an immediate family member

You must have 2 types of documents:
  • one that shows your immediate family member’s status as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • one that shows your relationship to that family member
Documents that show your immediate family member’s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status include
  • a Canadian passport
  • proof of Canadian citizenship, such as a citizenship certificate, citizenship card, or provincial or territorial birth certificate
  • a Canadian permanent resident card
  • a Canadian permanent resident travel document
Documents that show your relationship to that family member include
  • a marriage certificate or proof of common-law status (documents showing a shared address)
  • a birth certificate
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) for the family class (the COPR category under Application Details will be FC) or under the One-Year Window of Opportunity Program (coded OYW under Special Program)
  • other documents that show an immediate family connection (for example, correspondence from us showing a spousal sponsorship application in progress or documents that show a shared home address)
Note: Paper and electronic copies of the documents above are accepted. Please note that the documents above are examples only. An officer may request or accept other documents as needed.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...xemptions.html
Thanks, for the very thorough account!!
My mother is an Canadian citizen, so I should be OK there.
Your Note was just what I was looking for, in regards to the actual format of documentation.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 7:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I really appreciate that you all, take the time on this one!
Kind regards GR15
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:09 am

Sorry but I don't think you will be admissible based on relation to your mother, as the exemption category only includes dependent children!
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Make sure you fall under the definition of dependent child if this is the family link you intend to use.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYCCL3
Sorry but I don't think you will be admissible based on relation to your mother, as the exemption category only includes dependent children!
It does include parents under the family reunification exemption. See here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...family-members

However, from the site:

The objective of this exemption is to facilitate unity of immediate family members who have or would be separated as a result of these travel restrictions. Migration officers and case processing officers are to assess the circumstances surrounding the foreign national’s travel prior to authorizing in writing that the foreign national is exempt under this provision. As noted above, the officer must be satisfied that the foreign national is not travelling for an optional or discretionary purpose.

So your travel can't be optional or just to visit. It has to be because you have a good reason to be with your parent.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by atsak
It does include parents under the family reunification exemption. See here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...family-members

However, from the site:

The objective of this exemption is to facilitate unity of immediate family members who have or would be separated as a result of these travel restrictions. Migration officers and case processing officers are to assess the circumstances surrounding the foreign national’s travel prior to authorizing in writing that the foreign national is exempt under this provision. As noted above, the officer must be satisfied that the foreign national is not travelling for an optional or discretionary purpose.

So your travel can't be optional or just to visit. It has to be because you have a good reason to be with your parent.
Yup. That's a whole different ballgame requiring written authorization in advance. Not just showing up at the airport with a copy of the mother's passport.

Good luck with your visit GR15 8 weeks is September so hopefully the situation has changed by then to allow you to travel more smoothly.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 9:08 am
Suspended

Thanks, for the very thorough account!!
Your Note was just what I was looking for, in regards to the actual format of documentation.
As others have said, if you are an adult child of a Canadian citizen, I believe you will need to visit for a good reason, rather than just coming in for the fun of it.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
That is both strict and complicated! (A flowchart with step-by-step questions might have helped.)

Yet I believe a Canada resident can visit a parent in Denmark (and return). And can fly to the U.S (and return).
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:53 am
Suspended
Original Poster

As the last posts above explains, it would look like my mother being a Canadian citizen is not enough admittance... This deffinently changes the game.
As one wrote, its a completely different ball game. And it is!
My mother should have been my way in to Montréal *shoot* :/
My girlfriend through 3 years would have been the main reason.
So it seems like I would have to get a written confirmation from somebody, which might prove to be more difficult, then I thought?
Does anybody know who I could contact for an assessment of my case?
I have been in contact with the Canadian embassy in Denmark and UK and they couldn't really help.

just for information my fellow FT'ers and because it is important for me to emphasise due to these unprecedented time.
​​​​​​​I do have access to an empty apartment for solitary quarantine and I'm arriving from a country with 12 people admitted to the hospital with Covid19 as of today. And I will of course be very conscious, for the sake of my family and the general society in Québec.
ajGoes likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2020, 11:01 am
Suspended

The purpose of letting in people in your situation is to allow for help with parents during the crisis. Perhaps you can build an argument around that. But to be clear, if your main plan was to visit your girlfriend using your mother's citizenship as a reason for entry I think you'll be denied on existing rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.