Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

ATLANTA Security Checkpoint Reopened after Temporary Shutdown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Apparently a TSA screener in Atlanta has tested positive and the Main Security Checkpoint has been closed for cleaning.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...1-7bbcfb0dcedb

http://apps.atl.com/Passenger/FlightInfo/Default.aspx
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:27 pm

Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Apparently the Main Checkpoint has reopened.

Alex Helmick
@HelmickWABE
UPDATE:
@ATLairport
has reopened the Main Checkpoint after closing it for a deep cleaning after a TSA officer tested positive for #Covid_19 this morning.
4:54 PM Jul 1, 2020Twitter Web App
LegalTender likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I am all for being safe, cleaning, etc.

But come on folks. Surely a handful of those TSA folks are positive... we just do not know it.
And, based on national testing, 5-10% of those walking through TSA are also positive without knowing it.

Shutting down for 'cleaning'????
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Shutting down for 'cleaning'????
It increased waIt times - maybe - 20 minutes.

So, yeah. If I'm charged with protecting the welfare and safety of the public, I'll take that downside every time.
steved5480 and ryw like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Oh... should have read.

20 minutes... not bad.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 6:15 am

The CDC has established that COVID does not spread through surface contact. This is more theater, which the TSA specializes in. Wasn't the TSA screener wearing a mask? Masks don't work?
Tanic, bchandler02 and fotographer like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pfreet
The CDC has established that COVID does not spread through surface contact. This is more theater, which the TSA specializes in. Wasn't the TSA screener wearing a mask? Masks don't work?
but at the same time, I dont really trust the CDC... if this virus is so new to all of the science folks... how do they all become experts so soon
hurnik likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:32 am

Um... what?

How COVID-19 Spreads

The virus may be spread in other ways

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
but at the same time, I dont really trust the CDC... if this virus is so new to all of the science folks... how do they all become experts so soon
By literally spending their educational lives and careers studying viruses, including other corona viruses.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: WN A+, AA, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG
My wife was in that line yesterday. She said it wasn't a 20 minute delay. She was in the line for an hour.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mile ho
My wife was in that line yesterday. She said it wasn't a 20 minute delay. She was in the line for an hour.
I saw other reports on Twitter that said the same thing. My wife was due to fly out yesterday evening and changed her flight to this morning. Southwest allowed a no cost change.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jul 2, 2020 at 10:53 am
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Um... what?

How COVID-19 Spreads
It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads.
When the CDC says "it may be possible" that means they have no evidence that COVID spreads that way but want to cover their rear just in case. If they believed it spreads from surfaces, they would say so.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 10:59 am

When the CDC says "it may be possible" that means they have no evidence that COVID spreads that way but want to cover their rear just in case. If they believed it spreads from surfaces, they would say so.
Your initial comment is still wrong. The CDC has absolutely not established that "COVID does not spread through surface contact."
sdsearch likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 12:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
If it's the person that is the concern, it should be easy enough to remove them and go on. If it's surface areas, break out the lysol, soak everything down, and get back to business. Nothing to see here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.