Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta now forces passengers to get their APP in order to get mobile boarding pass!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta now forces passengers to get their APP in order to get mobile boarding pass!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum

Tried to check in to a flight on the Delta website and gone now is the option to put your phone number in to receive a text with boarding pass link. You have to now either print it, get the app(it says) or go to airport to print it later.

Why is Delta doing this? Sure most maybe have the Delta App but I don't like having to download it in order to have a mobile scan(which because of covid19 most are using now).

To me it's shady and more proof that these companies in all industries want to track you. I didn't want to download and install their damn app and now I am pretty much forced to.

BS Delta total BS.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
You could just print it off since you're on the website to Check In.

Or - be sure that you Un-Check Location Services for all your apps so that nobody can track you.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Cost savings measure?
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL
It was an announced cost saving measure, due to having to pay a contractor or something to run the service. There should be some options in the future to link to Google/Apple wallets.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul21
It was an announced cost saving measure, due to having to pay a contractor or something to run the service. There should be some options in the future to link to Google/Apple wallets.
Where did you find this info or hear about it? I just called Delta and spoke to a supervisor and she told me she wasn't aware that this phone number option is gone and she didn't think it was. She was saying maybe it was a glitch and she would talk to IT. She also said that she didn't get any information or emails about this so that's why she thinks it was a glitch.

But you are saying it is a cost cutting measure smh. Where did you read or hear this? Thx.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Lol you think that downloading the app is the action that finally lets DL track you.

That's rich.
hockeystl, CMK10, hnewman and 24 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Duke787
Lol you think that downloading the app is the action that finally lets DL track you.

That's rich.
The POINT is we shouldn't be forced to download and use their app in order to get mobile boarding passes. You should be equally outraged. And that ain't rich.
smartytravel likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mikebor
The POINT is we shouldn't be forced to download and use their app in order to get mobile boarding passes. You should be equally outraged. And that ain't rich.
Why would I be outraged that DL makes me use their app to access the mobile boarding pass?

It’s called 2020. It’s how things work these days.

If you want a mobile keycard, Hilton forces you to use their app. If you want directions at your fingertips, Google or Apple forces you to use their app. If you want an Uber or Lyft from your phone, you have to use the app.

Why would DL do something different? They already know everything about you — they have your travel records tied to your airport movements tied to your CC transactions tied to your FF account tied to your passport and face (see Facial ID boarding). They can also track your web movement once you leave DL.com. They can see anywhere you’ve accessed DL.com (and cross reference that with your travel records if they really wanted to).

If your concern is privacy and/or not being tracked, the app is near the bottom of the list.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott, IHG
Alternative explanation

SMS is horribly insecure and really should not be used for any transaction that requires a modicum of security.

If the messages were being delivered by a technology that is used in iMessage it could be done securely. The problem, however, the Android-based phone ecosystem does not have a consistent messaging infrastructure other than SMS. Google is trying to change that, but their messaging track record is less than impressive.

I shudder whenever I see SMS-based account recovery offered at financial or other high-consequence web sites. The annoying part is that many sites that offer time-based one-time passwords (OTP) as an option won't let you disable SMS-based authentication. At that point it's like why bother offering OTP.
hhdl likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
You should be equally outraged.
oh, the humanity.
tkey75, HDQDD, emrdoc and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:11 pm

Where did you find this info or hear about it? I just called Delta and spoke to a supervisor and she told me she wasn't aware that this phone number option is gone and she didn't think it was. She was saying maybe it was a glitch and she would talk to IT. She also said that she didn't get any information or emails about this so that's why she thinks it was a glitch.

But you are saying it is a cost cutting measure smh. Where did you read or hear this? Thx.
I had a flight today and OP is correct. The option to get a boarding pass text to cellphone is gone.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:16 pm

#GoodbyeCruelAirline
DiverDave, fotographer and hhdl like this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
I'm surprised that DL is still printing off boarding passes at the airport now that there's the mobile app. There was a time airlines wouldn't do that to save money too.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL

Well, I don't want to be a source on this, but basically there are certain travelers who cannot use FlyDelta to get boarding passes and may have used that option frequently in the past who now must print at home or the kiosk only. Those travelers were assured that a new feature would be coming to replace it, and that it was removed to save money in the short term.
ryw likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ab2013
I'm surprised that DL is still printing off boarding passes at the airport now that there's the mobile app. There was a time airlines wouldn't do that to save money too.
If I have anything more than a direct flight, then I make sure to print a hard copy of my boarding passes for the flights... and especially for international.

I've seen enough issues with the app and Delta IT meltdowns during irrops where the itinerary gets hosed and doesn't show the next boarding pass on the app... or shows one for a rebooked flight when I can still make the original one. Those situations I am glad I have my piece of paper showing what flight I am booked on.
Daze, SPN Lifer, DiverDave and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.