Wiki Posts
Search

US Passport - Leave LHR during layover

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Delta AMEX Reserve, Ritz-Carlton Gold, Priority Pass
US Passport - Leave LHR during layover

My brother is flying through LHR from BUD (on BA) on a mandated return flight home tomorrow. He has a very long layover in LHR before connecting on VA to the US. Given the current state of affairs, will he be allowed to leave the airport (to go to a hotel) after checking his bags in LHR to the US or will he be required to stay at the airport? Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Legally the UK has no entry restrictions, so it's a matter of whether BA allow it or not.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Legally the UK has no entry restrictions, so it's a matter of whether BA allow it or not.
Is there any reason why BA won't allow the passenger to leave airside to go to a local hotel before taking his VA (I assume Virgin Atlantic (VS), or maybe BA, whichever it is)?

For a start, if the flights are on separate tickets, the OP's brother will have to go landside to pick up his bag at LHR and re-check anyway, whether it is a VS flight or BA flight the OP is travelling on.

If they are on a single ticket, they might be checked through to the US if BA has an interline agreement with VS (assuming it's VS), and if it's a BA flight, then it will be checked through, so the bag does not need to be collected at LHR.

In either case, I really do not see why the OP's brother will not be allowed to leave the airport by BA (or the border force) in any case.

The OP's brother should go straight to the hotel, and stay there, and then return to the airport just to take the flight, though, as only essential movement by people should be happening right now.

(On a separate matter, he would also be advised to get some sandwiches / salads etc. for the flight, due to reduced catering on board)
jerry a. laska likes this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 29, 2020 at 12:47 pm
Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:41 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
I guess you mean he’s travelling on Virgin Atlantic. The BA flight will arrive in Terminal 5. Virgin Atlantic leave from T3, so whatever happens there’s a transfer. How your brother does that is up to him - as has been said, currently there are no entry restrictions, and indeed if he holds a US passport he’ll be able to use the e-gates to get landside and won’t even have to speak to a human unless he gets flagged.

From that point he’s free to do what he likes in terms of movement, although currently I would advise going straight to the hotel and staying there. There’s nothing of real use to him open in the UK, and he may be asked what he’s doing out if he’s clearly a visitor to the country and decides to wander around central London.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
All the airport hotels (indeed all hotels in the UK) are currently closed aren’t they?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for these immensely helpful responses. Yes I meant VS. Though to complicate matters, the ticket was issued by VS and he’s flying BA to LHR and then connecting the next day to DL metal. I assume that doesn’t change the analysis. Does the fact he’s got a number of checked bags change any of the advice above?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by VolareBene
he’s flying BA to LHR and then connecting the next day to DL metal.
So he's got an overnight layover in London? In that case he has no option but to go through immigration as the airport closes overnight. BA *might* offer/be able to check the bags through to the USA from BUD, but also they might not. You'll have to see at BUD airport. It would probably be safer to have them checked only to LHR, then re-check them the next day with DL.

Does he have a hotel booked, as I believe that most hotels are shut. I would also advise to pack plenty of snacks, although I believe the M&S in LHR T5 arrivals is still open (although goodness knows what I left to purchase).

I presume he is aware that the UK is in lockdown, and no sightseeing etc is allowed. It's a trip from airport to hotel only (also allowed outside for 1 form of exercise per day, and to get essential food/medicine).
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by VolareBene
Thank you for these immensely helpful responses. Yes I meant VS. Though to complicate matters, the ticket was issued by VS and he’s flying BA to LHR and then connecting the next day to DL metal. I assume that doesn’t change the analysis. Does the fact he’s got a number of checked bags change any of the advice above?
If it is one ticket, one PNR then bags can be shipped to the US port of entry, where as is standard procedure all items are declared before any onward flight within the USA. He will also have the option of collecting the bags in T5 if he would rather have them with him in the hotel. Bags can be checked for a maximum of 24 hours scheduled stay within Heathrow.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
The exemption to hotel closures include for foreign nationals not immediately able to travel home.obviosulu, you will need to find one open as many have closed.

To be clear, law is not in place that you can’t leave your residence except for essential journeys, so travelling straight to the hotel and back int be morning.

It is also worth checking with the hotel about food arrangements, restaurants including those in hotels will be shut- but some hotels are still doing room service and there are takeaway options still available through the likes of the deliveroo app.

Not sure how long thrir layover is, and if on one Ticket/PNR as it soundscape their luggage may be through checked so worth ensuring they have a change of clothes etc in hand luggage.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I believe that the Aerotel at LHR T3 is still open for the time being for stays of less than 24 hours.
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I believe that the Aerotel at LHR T3 is still open for the time being for stays of less than 24 hours.
I'm doing a special thread on using T5 at the moment, but Sofitel and Thistle are both open, I suspect HGI T2 is too even though neither the Sofitel or HGI are taking bookings online (you have to call the front desk). The Thistle is taking online bookings.
navylad and jerry a. laska like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm doing a special thread on using T5 at the moment, but Sofitel and Thistle are both open, I suspect HGI T2 is too even though neither the Sofitel or HGI are taking bookings online (you have to call the front desk). The Thistle is taking online bookings.
The HGI T2 seems to be closed at least until 1 JUNE 2020; at the moment that is the first date they are accepting reservations.
The HGI Heathrow Airport Hatton Cross seems to be closed at least until 1 MAY 2020; at the moment that is the first date they are accepting reservations.

I haven't not tried to call to see if they will accept phone bookings as all my multiple transfers through LHR are now off. So as you say they might be taking walkup or old school offline bookings.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 29, 2020 at 3:33 pm Reason: edited to reflect more detail about offline bookings.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

He got what he believes is the last room at the aerotel. Thanks again!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.