Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WTP For the larger pax

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
WTP For the larger pax

Having read jenecho 's thread on NYE travel it has gotten me wondering. We have a WTP return leg from JFK-LGW on 2nd Jan 21. I've established the seat width for the seats as being 18.5 but was looking for some feedback on overall comfort for a redeye TATL.

On a recent CX flight we were bumped from coach to premium which was of course appreciated but my partner struggled due to the fixed/ solid seat dividers and that was only on a shortish hop from HKG to BKK. the life vest also attached to the seat belt was also a factor( which I dont think BA do?) as she is, for want of a better term, 'ample bossomed'. WTP is the only cabin we are yet to fly in on BA so I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on LH comfort for those who are of a larger disposition and/or has travelled with someone who is. I appreciate this is a delicate subject for some people so would welcome feedback via PM for anyone who didn't want to comment publicly ( and naturally would remain in confidence).

Naturally opting for CW would be the way to go but having booked an extensive multi sector Amex 2-4-1 this year the avios pool has taken somewhat of a hit & having already forked out on 4 LH's this year (ignoring all the SH's & being self funding leisure travellers, I know that number is nothing to many of you lol) and thus far this year being abit tighter than normal the cost is a factor. Whilst not wanting to disclose her size, or for anyone else to feel the need to either, but also ( very reticently) feeling giving some context as to Seat V Comfort is important in this case i'll say that her dress size does not start with a 1 or a 2

For anyone who feels I shouldn't say/ ask such things please understand that I've done so from genuine love and concern for her comfort and kept it as un detailed as possible while trying to get the right sort of feedback.

As ever thanks in advance for any and all feedback
Old Feb 28, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: BA GGL
I believe the CX ones are 19.3in (on the A330 that operates HKG-BKK anyway), the BA ones a little narrower at 18.5in. I'm not sure you'll notice a dramatic difference in reality.
Both carriers have those hard dividers between them, but I only find them a bother at night because you won't be sat in the traditional position - it's usually a bit of a twist in an attempt to sleep.
At least in WTP you can sit together as a pair where you'll not bother anyone else around you, so no need to be conscious of where your elbows or whatever body parts go.
As for your partner's natural protrusions, well, I don't see why it would be a bother to ask for a belt extender if it'd make her more comfortable? That said, BA doesn't have a two-part belt - it's around the waist only in WTP, nothing goes over the shoulder like it does in recent-fit business cabins (BA's Club Suite included).
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC-Silver, AMEX-BA Prem' Plus & Standard, Accor Gold, HH-Silver, IHG,IBIS On Business
Thanks mmxbreaks . We were scheduled to have the A350( something that excited me no end as an AVGeek) but it was changed to be the last 777 flight of the route about 10 days out( still something of note I guess). Asking for an extender is standard practice on any flight and oft a cause of consternation if she can't get CC's attention pre safety demo/ taxiing. Knowing you to be well travelled do you happen to know if the new CWS is compatible with seat belt extenders? - before that becomes the next problem! I think in the case of the CX flight it was having the life vest attached to the belt that added to her issues( tbf I found it a bloody annoyance without any size/ seat width issues although i've got a cracking set of 'moobs' if I do say so myself!). If that isn't present then I think that having an over-the-shoulder belt wouldn't be so much of an issue. Having seen several reviews from the likes of Michele at TLFL ( ever heard of it, great blog ) and the boys from TPG i'm yet to see a photo showing a life vest attached to the belt in the new CWS but maybe that's good photography
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Whilst I can’t answer your query, am sure others on here will be able to, I just wanted to say that you shouldn’t need to justify asking such a question and thank you for asking. I know of a number of FTers who will be grateful for the answers and after all, this is no place for discrimination or judgement. Thank you.
srcga, The_Diamond_Z, LiHS and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

navylad I agree, and THANK YOU, but knowing that motive/ intention can fail to come across correctly online I wanted to make it clear and emphasise why I was asking. She would probably blow her lid if she knew i'd asked tbh but as I insisted we fly CX instead of a carrier offering comparable service on the route for 1/3 of the price I have a level of guilt about her discomfort on said flight ( despite it only being a factor because they gave us, an appreciated, free upgrade). If consensus is it might not be a great option due to the WTP's seat design then i'd rather look at alternative revenue to ensure her comfort if need be unless this years financial projections improve before hand.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 12:56 pm

FWIW it isn't the life vest that is attached to the seatbelt you are referencing. It's an air-bag device designed to protect the wearer in the event of deceleration in the event of being surrounded by a hard shell that could cause injury.

​​​​​​Airbag seatbelts normally aren't compatible with extension seatbelts. You'll usually notice the seatbelts are much longer as a result when seated in a seat fitted with an airbag.

BA currently operate airbag style seatbelts in Club World on the A321 (a hand full of mid haul routes) , therefore I suspect everyone's dignity will remain intact for your proposed itinerary.
nancypants, etiene, TWCLAM and 2 others like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Feb 28, 2020 at 1:02 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Tit, Accor Plat
My colleague purchased his own seat belt extender and never had any problems using it, and he also liked the fact that not having to request one was one less thing to worry about upon boarding. Almost all airline seat belts are made by a single company (I forget the name) so it always fitted. He also preferred buying an "extra economy seat for comfort" if business class wasn't an option. As others have already mentioned, thank you for the relevant and nicely-worded question.
TWCLAM and acucobol like this.

Last edited by Andrew_G; Feb 28, 2020 at 2:19 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:13 pm
Suspended

I have travelled in CX A350 PE and the BA B777 B747, B789, A380 WTP, I do think these newer seats are more roomy and the recline is good, I slept well on the long flight from HKG.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Feb 28, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Andrew_G Now that isn't something I had even thought about. If it's not too much to ask could you source where it was brought from( if you'd rather not ask a work colleague I 100% understand and will go off and try find it myself if it's not easily available intel you have) as, the original question aside, I hadn't even considered the ability to buy one that airlines wouldn't question it's use.( From experience but not as a consistent fact) On BA they are noticeably red, on EZY they are more orange, on others they are a shade of grey/ blue and the inconsistency has always made me feel they are carrier specific and something that X airline would question if using a belt of Y carriers color scheme. Even for SH's this would undoubtedly save her stress and embarrassment & be something i'd pay through my teeth for if need be as a long term investment for her own comfort and lack of blushes everytime we board a plane. Times being tight if such things are transferable between carrier it's still worth more than upgrading a single flight
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
​​​​​​Airbag seatbelts normally aren't compatible with extension seatbelts. You'll usually notice the seatbelts are much longer as a result when seated in a seat fitted with an airbag.
I am sure it varies with the airline or set, but Delta A330s have airbags in the lap belt and I have been able to get an extender. It had a warning about disabling the airbag, and I think was designed with car seats in mind.

Originally Posted by Andrew_G
My colleague purchased his own seat belt extender and never had any problems using it, and he also liked the fact that not having to request one was one less thing to worry about upon boarding. Almost all airline seat belts are made by a single company (I forget the name) so it always fitted. He also preferred buying an "extra economy seat for comfort" if business class wasn't an option. As other have already mentioned, thank you for the relevant and nicely-worded question.
I've considered doing the same (and the only airline I've noticed with a different latch is Southwest Airlines). However, warn your friend about using his personal extender with airbag seatbelts. The extender that I just mentioned above (from Delta, not BA), disabled the airbag from deploying. An improperly placed airbag, depending on how the belt settles, can be very dangerous.
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Not that i'm ever going to communicate the feedback directly ( my plan is to gather consensus and if need be borrow some money from somewhere if need be to ensure she has a pleasant flight but my, possibly outdated but happily held, approach is to never breach the issue with her and cause her further embarrassment ) but it is my good lady this refers to. CX are the only ones the airbag issue has been an additional issue with. I don't think BA use them in the new CWS ( welcome's FTers feedback on this as it will have a major impact on ability to fly J with BA)

Hopefully being UK based and only using AA for internal US flights ( gotta get those TP's and avios!) the Southwest thing wont be an issue but appreciate you highlighting it
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I am sure it varies with the airline or set, but Delta A330s have airbags in the lap belt and I have been able to get an extender. It had a warning about disabling the airbag, and I think was designed with car seats in mind.

I've considered doing the same (and the only airline I've noticed with a different latch is Southwest Airlines). However, warn your friend about using his personal extender with airbag seatbelts. The extender that I just mentioned above (from Delta, not BA), disabled the airbag from deploying. An improperly placed airbag, depending on how the belt settles, can be very dangerous.
You'll also need to ensure your own extender is compliant with the aviation administration for the airline you're travelling (US airlines needs to be FAA compliant, UK airlines with the CAA etc..) in addition to this some airlines own policy may supercede this. Such as only extender belts provided by the airline for passenger use being permitted. Lufthansa have a different latching system, some Virgin Atlantic seat belts are car seat belt style (complete with red release button).
TWCLAM likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

LH arent an issue.I was half way to Gold with them( my 1st uneducated-by-FTers, failed attempt, to play the status game) until I flew with her. Whilst safety wise they are right to have done so the words "it's not our fault you can't fit our standard seat, now you must leave" in a not so quiet manner to the entire cabin( words burnt into my memory to this day) when they couldn't find an extender( after complaint the two held on board had already been used) meant we will never fly with them again.

As a boy I want to get some status. As a man my ladies dignity comes above seat selection
pacenotes likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The self-supplied extender has been mentioned on threads before. It’s is absolutely not allowed on any BA operated aircraft. The link is for a sort on-board AA, but I absolutely would not advise binging your own seat belt on board.
AA and use of personal Seat Belt Extenders

I think a quiet word with the cabin crew who are dotted around the aircraft or in the galleys during boarding should avoid any issue.
1Aturnleft and TWCLAM like this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 11:16 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I'm just wondering (I'm not really familiar with the WTP as I have only flown it it a couple of times, but I do know that they're not that wide, and I have also seen someone not fitting into a WTP seat), if she can temporarily lower the arm rests during take off and landing in WT (it should be fine if she can lower them on short haul flights), if it would be better to buy 3 seats for 2 of you in WT, with movable arm rests, and put them up during cruise?

Scroll down the page below to "Booking an extra seat for additional personal space" for further info:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ving-your-seat
blackdog047 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.