IST Passport Clearance & Baggage Collection

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

IST Passport Clearance & Baggage Collection

Anyone knows if i could:
-Arrive from LHR on BA with checked baggages on May 1
-Do not clear passport control and check in to YOTEL Airside on May 1
-Clear passport control just to pick up our checked luggages from LHR on May 2 (luggages to be left overnight)
-Departing on SQ flight on May 2.

This is as such as i need a Turkey Visa to enter.
BA and SQ do not interline.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Anyone knows if i could:
-Clear passport control just to pick up our checked luggages from LHR on May 2 (luggages to be left overnight)

You could do that however, you might need to deal with various checks ( passport, baggage tag, boarding pass, etc... ) and it might take up to 30 minutes-1hour for a Havaş ( BA ground service ) agent to bring your bag to you. However, this process might take shorter.

By the way, you would still need a visa to enter Turkey regardless of your duration of stay. Staying overnight or 1-2 hours won't change the regulations.

Plus, your situation has nothing to do with TK, next time for airport related questions please consult the Europe forum.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You could do that however, you might need to deal with various checks ( passport, baggage tag, boarding pass, etc... ) and it might take up to 30 minutes-1hour for a Havaş ( BA ground service ) agent to bring your bag to you. However, this process might take shorter.

By the way, you would still need a visa to enter Turkey regardless of your duration of stay. Staying overnight or 1-2 hours won't change the regulations.

Plus, your situation has nothing to do with TK, next time for airport related questions please consult the Europe forum.
Thanks!
What do you mean by "...for a Havaş ( BA ground service ) agent to bring your bag to you?"
Actually since i will be staying at Airside hotel overnight and do not clear passport control. So i would not need to apply for a visa.
Can i request for BA ground staff to pass my bags to SQ? I do know some airports do that.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Thanks!
What do you mean by "...for a Havaş ( BA ground service ) agent to bring your bag to you?"
Actually since i will be staying at Airside hotel overnight and do not clear passport control. So i would not need to apply for a visa.
Can i request for BA ground staff to pass my bags to SQ? I do know some airports do that.
I meant that if you proceed to the Havaş Baggage Services desk with your baggage tag, if your bag is at the airport, they would bring it to you.

You wouldn’t need a visa ( regardless of nationality ) if you stay in the transit area; however, as you would enter to Turkey to claim and recheck your bags ( the check-in hall is open to the public and is at landside ), you would need a visa ( except if you’re a citizen of a nation that doesn’t require a visa ). Also as a reminder that you are not considered as a transfer passenger as you have two tickets one to and one from IST. You would need to clear passport control to recheck your bags ( if needed ).

Both SQ and BA is handled by Havaş at IST so you might try your luck at the transfer counter but be prapared for a no.

If you aren’t maximizing Tier Points or if your flight is refundable, fly TK from LHR and IST and don’t worry about your bags or travel HBO.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I believe the visa information to be incorrect. According to the FCO website:From 2 March 2020, British nationals travelling for tourism or business purposes will no longer need a visa to enter Turkey for visits of up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

I meant that if you proceed to the Havaş Baggage Services desk with your baggage tag, if your bag is at the airport, they would bring it to you.

You wouldn’t need a visa ( regardless of nationality ) if you stay in the transit area; however, as you would enter to Turkey to claim and recheck your bags ( the check-in hall is open to the public and is at landside ), you would need a visa ( except if you’re a citizen of a nation that doesn’t require a visa ). Also as a reminder that you are not considered as a transfer passenger as you have two tickets one to and one from IST. You would need to clear passport control to recheck your bags ( if needed ).

Both SQ and BA is handled by Havaş at IST so you might try your luck at the transfer counter but be prapared for a no.

If you aren’t maximizing Tier Points or if your flight is refundable, fly TK from LHR and IST and don’t worry about your bags or travel HBO.
Thanks for your explanation! Very clear information.
I can try to print my onward SQ online check in boarding pass, then go to transfer desk (if any, at new IST since it's my first time at new IST) to try my luck.
I'm not based in UK, thus i don't have Avios. And ticket prices for TK is $200 more per pax, And since there are 6 of us, it adds to a bit.
If all fails then no choice but pay for VOA.

Last edited by terbangalways; Feb 24, 2020 at 7:53 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
I believe the visa information to be incorrect. According to the FCO website:From 2 March 2020, British nationals travelling for tourism or business purposes will no longer need a visa to enter Turkey for visits of up to 90 days within a 180-day period.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
I'm not Brit, merely flying BA to catch SQ flight home.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:15 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Make sure you qualify for VOA/eVisa. BA won't let you board at LHR if you do not. You need a visa to exit and recheck bags to SQ. Do not count on them re-checking your bag without you.
terbangalways likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:12 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
I would strongly advise against doing this. Even if you manage to talk BA into getting you onto their flight, Turkish authorities do not take people who try to bend their immigration rules lightly. Your bags might very well just stay at a lost&found counter at IST. Worst case, get a visa just for as many people as you need to legally enter the country, pick up your bags, check them back in, and go on your way.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hdogan
I would strongly advise against doing this. Even if you manage to talk BA into getting you onto their flight, Turkish authorities do not take people who try to bend their immigration rules lightly. Your bags might very well just stay at a lost&found counter at IST. Worst case, get a visa just for as many people as you need to legally enter the country, pick up your bags, check them back in, and go on your way.
Which part is bending the rules?
Well I'm sure no one wants to do it if it's illegal.
Just asking the pro here the situation in new IST as is my first time.
Only been few times to IST Ataturk.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Which part is bending the rules?
Well I'm sure no one wants to do it if it's illegal.
Just asking the pro here the situation in new IST as is my first time.
Only been few times to IST Ataturk.
It's not illegal to transfer on separate tickets, but if you leave your baggage overnight at IST, you and your family could be subject to customs screening and additional inspection. Plus, ground service agents would probably not take responsibility in your case.

Now, I would like to ask this, as you are traveling with a party of 6. Was it really cheaper and efficient for the family to travel on two separate tickets plus a stay in one of Istanbul's most expensive hotels? ( Yes, you might not believe but YOTEL is one of Istanbul's most expensive hotels. ) Emirates, Etihad, Sri Lankan, Qatar, Turkish ( if you purchase a single LHR-SIN ticket ), Malaysian, etc... have low fares from London to Singapore. If I were you, I would change my reservation to the landside YOTEL ( which is a little bit cheaper ), clear passport control and immigration after arriving from the BA flight, take all belongings to the landside YOTEL room. Leave the landside YOTEL when the SQ check-in desks open.

By the way, Singapore citizens don't require a visa to enter Turkey.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

It's not illegal to transfer on separate tickets, but if you leave your baggage overnight at IST, you and your family could be subject to customs screening and additional inspection. Plus, ground service agents would probably not take responsibility in your case.

Now, I would like to ask this, as you are traveling with a party of 6. Was it really cheaper and efficient for the family to travel on two separate tickets plus a stay in one of Istanbul's most expensive hotels? ( Yes, you might not believe but YOTEL is one of Istanbul's most expensive hotels. ) Emirates, Etihad, Sri Lankan, Qatar, Turkish ( if you purchase a single LHR-SIN ticket ), Malaysian, etc... have low fares from London to Singapore. If I were you, I would change my reservation to the landside YOTEL ( which is a little bit cheaper ), clear passport control and immigration after arriving from the BA flight, take all belongings to the landside YOTEL room. Leave the landside YOTEL when the SQ check-in desks open.

By the way, Singapore citizens don't require a visa to enter Turkey.
We are arriving at 23.55PM on May 1, and with taxi etc, we should be out past midnight on May 2. Hopefully it does not poses much problem with passport control.
Yes. I realised how costly Airside yotel is after i booked my tickets!!! LOL. EUR173 per room...
In detailed, I use my miles to redeem SIN-IST-SIN. Initially was meant to spend entire time (13 days in Turkey). However, some family members who had been to TR several times decided that we should also do a side trip to UK. Hence, buying a separate paid ticket from IST-LHR-IST. So we are transiting and venturing out in TR for a week on the outbound.

On the inbound, we have decided to just go to transfer level and sleep as is late past midnight. Then only have one person to go "out" and pick up all our luggages.

We are based in Singapore, but we are not Singapore citizen.
Paying for visa is not so much than the airfare and timing. Mostly for convenience sake as there are some elderly and an infant in the family.
We could also try to sleep in TK lounge with SQ J since we could do online check in and have same day boarding passes ready.
But would not want to risk it and also read somewhere that only TK flights are eligible for those night rooms at new IST.

Also, do you have any idea where exactly is the SQ transfer desk?
And is the arrival and departure zone on different level? Means I have to pass general security screening rather than gate screening.

Thank You for your help ISTFlyer!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We are arriving at 23.55PM on May 1, and with taxi etc, we should be out past midnight on May 2. Hopefully it does not poses much problem with passport control.
Yes. I realised how costly Airside yotel is after i booked my tickets!!! LOL. EUR173 per room...
In detailed, I use my miles to redeem SIN-IST-SIN. Initially was meant to spend entire time (13 days in Turkey). However, some family members who had been to TR several times decided that we should also do a side trip to UK. Hence, buying a separate paid ticket from IST-LHR-IST. So we are transiting and venturing out in TR for a week on the outbound.

On the inbound, we have decided to just go to transfer level and sleep as is late past midnight. Then only have one person to go "out" and pick up all our luggages.

We are based in Singapore, but we are not Singapore citizen.
Paying for visa is not so much than the airfare and timing. Mostly for convenience sake as there are some elderly and an infant in the family.
We could also try to sleep in TK lounge with SQ J since we could do online check in and have same day boarding passes ready.
But would not want to risk it and also read somewhere that only TK flights are eligible for those night rooms at new IST.

Also, do you have any idea where exactly is the SQ transfer desk?
And is the arrival and departure zone on different level? Means I have to pass general security screening rather than gate screening.

Thank You for your help ISTFlyer!
There won't be any problem with passport control if you enter and leave Turkey at the same day. That is not an issue.
The issue here is that all passengers who have a checked bag should show up at the check-in desk. As you're flying SQ J, you would have 3 pieces of baggage allowance ( or kilo allowance ) and you wouldn't be allowed to check more by yourself. Also due to security reasons, they wouldn't let you check bags on behalf of other people regardless of being your relatives.

The SQ transfer desk is located at the left side of the transfer desks ( when you face to it ) just across the main transfer security checkpoint. You would have to clear security to reach airside.
By the way, you wouldn't be eligible for the sleeping rooms at the TK Business Lounge. They are for eligible TK transfer pax only.

IMO, the most convenient and safe way to handle this trip is that all of you clear immigration after you arrive at IST, pick up your bags from the carousel, stay at the YOTEL landside or outside the airport, check-in for the SQ flight at the check-in desks, go back to airside. I assume that the 173 EUR YOTELAir per room is refundable.
terbangalways likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 9:26 am

Anyone knows if i could:

[EDITED]

Sorry, but you are making things VERY complicated for the folks here to help you.

Do you have a valid visa to enter Turkey, and is this visa a single entry or multiple entry one?

You specify in one post that the main purpose of your trip is to visit Turkey for a week, so at least you have a single entry visa to Turkey (otherwise you are going nowhere). If you have that, then you CAN'T enter Turkey to recheck your bags, you will need another visa. If you hold a multiple-entry visa, then there is no problem.

Last edited by schrodingerdog; Feb 28, 2020 at 9:33 am
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by schrodingerdog
[EDITED]

Sorry, but you are making things VERY complicated for the folks here to help you.

Do you have a valid visa to enter Turkey, and is this visa a single entry or multiple entry one?

You specify in one post that the main purpose of your trip is to visit Turkey for a week, so at least you have a single entry visa to Turkey (otherwise you are going nowhere). If you have that, then you CAN'T enter Turkey to recheck your bags, you will need another visa. If you hold a multiple-entry visa, then there is no problem.
Well I plan to VOA. and it is valid for single entry.
I have to apply for a second VOA once i have used the first one. Hence my post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.