Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Kauai to Seattle Red Eye in First: What to expect

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:16 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Flying the Kauai to Seattle red eye in First in a few weeks. The plane is a 757-200 although I cannot be sure which version. ( Seatguru lists 5 possible versions) " Dinner" is served even though our flight leaves at 9:40 PM.

What might I expect on this flight? Blankets? Pillows? a real dinner? I do not have high expectations..... just curious.

Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would keep the expectations down. (If you have no expectations, you can't be disappointed). It will be pretty much your basic 5 1/2 hour domestic flight
in first class. With likely a continental breakfast prior to landing. Blankets and pillows. Last time I did this flight (from Maui), the food was "okay" and my seat
did not recline. Not particularly comfortable.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
I would keep the expectations down. (If you have no expectations, you can't be disappointed). It will be pretty much your basic 5 1/2 hour domestic flight
in first class. With likely a continental breakfast prior to landing. Blankets and pillows. Last time I did this flight (from Maui), the food was "okay" and my seat
did not recline. Not particularly comfortable.
There won’t be any breakfast prior to landing. Only one meal service which will be the dinner shortly after departure.
jaimemayo likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:54 pm

Recliner seat, blanket, pillow and choice of sandwich/salad for a meal. If you are <21 days out, you can go into the DL app and select your meal which is highly advised. You are wise to keep expectations low.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:24 pm

Keep your expectations low. I flew this same flight a few years ago and ended up with back pain for a couple of years as a result. Not a very comfortable seat, nor spacious “first class” cabin. Foot rests make a world of difference to me. As does not having to grab the seat in front of you to escape your row.

Also the flight where I saw FAs making mai tais with diet coke floaters...

I have honestly been much happier flying Hawaiian.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
I flew this exact flight a few months ago. It certainly beats doing an ex-Hawaii redeye in economy, as I've done many times on either DL or UA. Its essentially exactly the same as a SEA-JFK (non D1, obviously) or SEA-ATL redeye in first, with the same seat and blankets, etc. The one big drawback to this flight and the timing is the food. With such a late departure, you're liable to get the dreaded warm chicken club sandwich with "bistro sauce", or possibly some type of Cobb salad. In my experience, the flights TO Hawaii are much better and have improved food, Mai-Tais, general pax and crew morale, etc.

I did have a HNL-SEA redeye late last year that had a really good panini type sandwich with ham and swiss on a pretzel bun, but that was probably the best food I've ever had on a DL domestic FC redeye.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
Random side note: the outbound SEA-LIH flight on the same trip I reference above occurred on UA and was probably the best flight experience I've ever had. My GF and I both got upgraded to FC (I was UA Premier Gold at the time) at the window and were very happy as a result. The mai-tais were flowing and the food was actually amazing: lobster mac and cheese, fresh bread and a delicious ice cream sundae. Even better, we got warm chocolate chip cookies and milk on our approach into LIH. I've had good Delta FC flights, too, but that UA flight sits at the top of my list to this very day!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Daitheflu84
Random side note: the outbound SEA-LIH flight on the same trip I reference above occurred on UA and was probably the best flight experience I've ever had. My GF and I both got upgraded to FC (I was UA Premier Gold at the time) at the window and were very happy as a result. The mai-tais were flowing and the food was actually amazing: lobster mac and cheese, fresh bread and a delicious ice cream sundae. Even better, we got warm chocolate chip cookies and milk on our approach into LIH. I've had good Delta FC flights, too, but that UA flight sits at the top of my list to this very day!
how do they bake bread in the galley?! sounds incredible.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by mctaste
how do they bake bread in the galley?! sounds incredible.
Well, it probably wasn't baked ON the plane, but it was really good and a lot more fresh tasting than most bread I've had on an airline. The lobster mac and sundae were the real highlights though!
mctaste likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:16 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Interesting that DL actually serves a "meal" on the redeye flight. I've not flown DL on any redeye, or to/from Hawaii. But three years ago, when I was regularly flying AA, their redeye flight from HNL-LAX only served a "cheese plate" with five cubes of American cheese from your local Albertson's and two sad grapes. The lead FA had to explain to each passenger that it was "too late" in the evening (10PM) to serve anything more than that.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP75k, Marriott Titanium
I flew HNL - SEA one time in F. I asked the flight attendant to hold the dinner until before arrival, and they happily obliged. Ended up eating those sliders at 5am PT, but it does beat stuffing myself right before sleep.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by hikouki
Interesting that DL actually serves a "meal" on the redeye flight. I've not flown DL on any redeye, or to/from Hawaii. But three years ago, when I was regularly flying AA, their redeye flight from HNL-LAX only served a "cheese plate" with five cubes of American cheese from your local Albertson's and two sad grapes. The lead FA had to explain to each passenger that it was "too late" in the evening (10PM) to serve anything more than that.
I do not remember having a meal on HNL-SLC in F a few years ago. It was on an A330 though, so I was happy to sleep as much as possible. I did the same flight in Y about a year ago, and that was much worse. I flew HNL-DFW on AA last summer in Y, and we were served wraps and chips. My veggie wrap seemed much better than the meat option.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by hikouki
it IS too late for a meal.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Redeye meals appear to be a relatively new thing Delta is trialing - I’ve started to see them appear on flights roughly 5 hours or more. The meal seems to be designed for quick delivery and consumption, so for those who want to partake the service is hopefully over in time for you to still get plenty of rest.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by BenA
Redeye meals appear to be a relatively new thing Delta is trialing - I’ve started to see them appear on flights roughly 5 hours or more. The meal seems to be designed for quick delivery and consumption, so for those who want to partake the service is hopefully over in time for you to still get plenty of rest.
I’d rather see meals on all meal flights between 8-9pm (not just those of 1300mi +) than on a few select red-eye flights. It’s annoying to take an 8:10pm flight and not get served anything, especially since some people could be coming off connecting flights and potentially not eaten in hours. Eating dinner between 8-9pm is fairly normal for most people, 11pm-12am is not a normal time to eat.
SJC ORD LDR and dmarge18 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.