Wiki Posts
Search

Delta CRJ900 Carry-on Bag Models

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United, AA
Delta CRJ900 Carry-on Bag Models

I am flying a lot of Delta CRJ-900 flights, and my Briggs Riley U-175 Carry-on garment bag does NOT fit in the overhead compartment. I am looking to buy a smaller carry-on bag that WILL fit the Delta CRJ-900, I see lots of thread history of people bringing their rollaboards on to Delta CRJ-900, but not a lot of sharing the brand and model of bag.

Theoretically my current bag is 9" deep, but in reality it is 9.5" empty, and 10" packed which despite my best efforts, was not fitting.

Most bag manufacturers seem to stretch the truth on their dimensions, so I am looking for real world experience of those who travel regularly and use the overhead compartment, what bag do you use? I want to max out the size of bag I can buy, so far I have found the TravelPro FlightCrew 19" should fit, but at 19x14x7 that will be tight for a suit. Ideally I find a real world 21x14x8 carry-on.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: Delta PM
My Pelican elite carry on fits perfectly. It's truly 22x14x9, doesn't expand, and the wheels and handle don't extend outside the maximum dimensions. It's obviously not a garment bag, so might not be what your looking for.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The problem you face is that DL is quite specific in its definition of dimensions, e.g., those include handles, wheels and anything else protruding. Manufacturers usually do not include those protrusions and that leads to problems at the sizer. The best approach is to use a measuring tape on the case and not rely on published dimensions unless they specifically limit the way DL does (which most brands don't).
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The problem you face is that DL is quite specific in its definition of dimensions, e.g., those include handles, wheels and anything else protruding. Manufacturers usually do not include those protrusions and that leads to problems at the sizer. The best approach is to use a measuring tape on the case and not rely on published dimensions unless they specifically limit the way DL does (which most brands don't).
This has nothing to do with the sizer. I am specifically talking about carry-on for CRJ-900. My Briggs Riley bag fits fine in sizers and on overhead on regular sized aircraft. But now that I am flying regularly on an CRJ-900 route, I would like to buy a smaller carry-on to temporarily use to avoid gate checking the bag.

You are right about manufacturers not including protruding areas of bags. I am not all that interested in going to a luggage store, and would prefer some real world examples. A luggage store is going to have a limited selection, I last bought a suitcase in a store 20 years ago. It is a bit crazy to me in an online shopping world, manufactures all lie about their true bag dimensions making online shopping difficult. There is no retailer anymore who would have all the available models on display to physically measure.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Out of curiosity, do the CR9s still have half-size bins in F on the starboard side?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:30 am

A laptop bag fits quite well. As does a sandwich bag.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
My travelpro crew 10 22" 2-wheeler fits fine (and a few years ago my weekly commute was a -900 so plenty of experience). Only thing is with the 22" bag one side (either the wheels or the top part) will need to slide over the latch for the bin as you stow it. It may seem like at first it doesn't fit (especially if it's overstuffed) but you just need to guide it in.

The bag is great for travelling with suits/work shirts (it has a very nice folding suit area inside the lid that portrudes into the suitcase when packed, not outward)

Originally Posted by findark
Out of curiosity, do the CR9s still have half-size bins in F on the starboard side?
They're more like cubbies (with sliding doors) versus the half-size bins you would find on the E170/E175 with regular doors. Good place to stuff the pillow/blanket or maybe a small purse but definitely not big enough for my (what I think is reasonably-sized) computer bag...
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
Yes, with the little sliding doors. Half-size would be a generous description, not much fits in them.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
They're more like cubbies (with sliding doors) versus the half-size bins you would find on the E170/E175 with regular doors. Good place to stuff the pillow/blanket or maybe a small purse but definitely not big enough for my (what I think is reasonably-sized) computer bag...
E75 is full-size (same as mainline more or less - fits my 22" carryon the same way) in F, but good to know. Yet another reason the CR7-series is not the equal of the E70s
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFTNYC
My travelpro crew 10 22" 2-wheeler fits fine (and a few years ago my weekly commute was a -900 so plenty of experience). Only thing is with the 22" bag one side (either the wheels or the top part) will need to slide over the latch for the bin as you stow it. It may seem like at first it doesn't fit (especially if it's overstuffed) but you just need to guide it in.

The bag is great for travelling with suits/work shirts (it has a very nice folding suit area inside the lid that portrudes into the suitcase when packed, not outward).
That bag looks huge, bigger than my Briggs (but potentially less thick). Is it a true 9" thick?

My only concern with a bag like that is getting some attitude from staff on carrying it on regularly. Guess i am still scarred from being a former AA flyer who I can only assume hires based on how angry you look and what new rules you can makeup.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:19 am

E75 is full-size (same as mainline more or less - fits my 22" carryon the same way) in F, but good to know. Yet another reason the CR7-series is not the equal of the E70s
Yes - on the C/D side indeed it goes wheels first on the E70/75 - I was talking about the bins on the A-side...
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by AussieNomad
That bag looks huge, bigger than my Briggs (but potentially less thick). Is it a true 9" thick?

My only concern with a bag like that is getting some attitude from staff on carrying it on regularly. Guess i am still scarred from being a former AA flyer who I can only assume hires based on how angry you look and what new rules you can makeup.
I've actually never measured it but also never had a problem. In terms of staff attitude, I usually tell them "it fits" when they attempt to give me the pink tag (and most agents are understanding), or if they insist I take the tag and stuff it in my pocket on my way down the jetbridge.

It is worth noting the bins on the -700 are smaller than the -900. My bag still fits if not stuffed but any kind of protruding/stuffing things (even an eyeglass case) in the front pockets etc. is a no-go for that airplane with that bag...
Old Jan 28, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond for life, Bonvoy Titanium for Life, Delta Million Miler, Delta Platinum
My Briggs and Riley Torq just fits. Had it for a few years it always works. Not certain about the new Torq line
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
Yes, they have the half size (ladies purse size) on the starboard side.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
The osprey ozone smallest international bag will work. You cannot overstuff it. Put a few things in only. I think I usually put it in longways, i.e. east/west in the overhead bin.

The osprey courier bag will work. You cannot overstuff it.

A cheapo knapsack, not overstuffed will also work. ($10.00 or $15.00 price point)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.