Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Adding paid domestic flight to Avios redemption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:29 am
Original Poster

I have only found conflicting info on this, none of which was very recent, so be grateful for advice...
We have a LHR-JNB return flight in J made with the 2-4-1 voucher. We need to travel onwards from JNB to DUR when we arrive, which I can get ticketed via BA as a codeshare (Comair flight). Any idea if I could get the paid domestic flight added to the existing Avios ticket so luggage can be checked through to DUR? Not worried about the higher baggage allowance of J on the domestic segment, but it would give us a cushion as the layover is currently 2 3/4 hrs.
TIA
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
No it is not possible to ticket this, and you have to collect your luggage in JNB and re-check it for the domestic flight anyway (same desks regardless of whether your onward flight is on a separate booking or the same). If you are doing the same on the return you will need to allow a sufficient buffer, but comair are likely to check your luggage through to the mainline BA LHR flight even on separate bookings.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
There is no way to do this. There have been reports of agents through checking where a paid ticket was bought for a segment which was not available as an award but that is against policy and has probably stopped.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by dmm27
I have only found conflicting info on this, none of which was very recent, so be grateful for advice...
We have a LHR-JNB return flight in J made with the 2-4-1 voucher. We need to travel onwards from JNB to DUR when we arrive, which I can get ticketed via BA as a codeshare (Comair flight). Any idea if I could get the paid domestic flight added to the existing Avios ticket so luggage can be checked through to DUR? Not worried about the higher baggage allowance of J on the domestic segment, but it would give us a cushion as the layover is currently 2 3/4 hrs.
TIA
No you can't is the simple answer.
You could try and obtain Avios availability JNB-DUR and have it added to your LHR-JNB reservation but it's not possible to link a paid for flight and a redemption flight within the same booking.

As for checked luggage, you still wouldn't be able to thru-check baggage because you would be entering ZA in JNB and have to walk them through customs here anyway.

My advice is keep to what you've got. 2.75hrs connection is ample even with a lengthy immigration queue and you'll be able to collect bags, process customs, walk back upstairs to check in with BA Comair and have some time in the SLO lounge before boarding commences for DUR.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Airprox
...If you are doing the same on the return you will need to allow a sufficient buffer, ...
Just to repeat this great advice...you are entirely responsible for your own connection on the return, so do allow plenty of time.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
You could try and obtain Avios availability JNB-DUR and have it added to your LHR-JNB reservation ...
The OP’s 2-4-1 voucher can only be used on BA-operated flights.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
The OP’s 2-4-1 voucher can only be used on BA-operated flights.
Good point - I hadn't processed that part.
An even simpler response to the question then...

No.
Stay as you are

Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
My advice is keep to what you've got. 2.75hrs connection is ample even with a lengthy immigration queue and you'll be able to collect bags, process customs, walk back upstairs to check in with BA Comair and have some time in the SLO lounge before boarding commences for DUR.
Whats the SLO lounge? Can we access it arriving J but departing domestic in economy?

We are flying home direct from JNB so no issues there.

Thanks for the input
Old Dec 16, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by dmm27
Whats the SLO lounge? Can we access it arriving J but departing domestic in economy?

We are flying home direct from JNB so no issues there.

Thanks for the input
It is the absolutely excellent domestic lounge by Comair, just keep your inbound J boarding card from LHR to show at the entrance desk. Nice showers, great food and drink, good views of the apron, and I guarantee the biggest mountain of cheese you will have ever seen. Go up one floor in the lift on the right hand side as you come out of domestic security.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - Showers and cheese - not sure which seems the most tempting :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.