Wiki Posts
Search

Lost baggage help needed asap

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Lost baggage help needed asap

Hi,

I need some help ASAP as I知 currently not getting anywhere with Air Canada or Brussels Airlines as both just want to past blame onto each other and his is getting me nowhere.

Yesterday me, my wife and 6 month travelled from YHZ on AC607 to YYZ, we had a long layover of around 8 hours, and then travelled SN552 to Brussels, when we got to Brussels we notice very little luggage came off the flight, possibly only around 30 bags.

I値l walked over to baggage services and was told my luggage did not make the flight as it was not loaded in YYZ along with 80 plus other customers from that flight.

I have a ref number that was given to me and was told someone would call me with a update.

I知 now in Berlin till Tuesday before visiting family in the UK, what is the likelihood I知 will be getting my lulggage in the next few days?

What are my rights in the form of compensate as we have any little on us in the form of clothes ? I have asked both airlines without luck.

Also will they deliver my baggage to me in Berlin?

thanks
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Couple of things here:

1. If you paid your tickets by a credit card that offers travel insurance, you can buy stuff such as clothes, up to some amount, usually either $500 or $1000. Usually it's for a dealy over 6 hours but check.

2. Hopefully when at BRU you went to declare missing luggage you gave them your complete itinerary? In which case they should deliver wherever you are.

3. My daugher onces had the same issue at BRU (but coming on the AC flight from YUL). Luggage arrived next day. Worst was the line up to file the claim at the airport. Also a child car seat (one of two) was delayed and we had to rent one.

4. There is a number to call somewhere. However apparently it does not have a stellar reputation and apparently the Indian accent is not always easy to understand.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stranger
Couple of things here:

1. If you paid your tickets by a credit card that offers travel insurance, you can buy stuff such as clothes, up to some amount, usually either $500 or $1000. Usually it's for a dealy over 6 hours but check.

We used Aeroplan points to book our flights and yes we have credit card coverage,

2. Hopefully when at BRU you went to declare missing luggage you gave them your complete itinerary? In which case they should deliver wherever you are.

Yes we did that in Brussels, and we was given some paper work by swissport with a reference number to use if we needed to call the airline.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
The last airline is responsible to you, even if the other was the one that misplaced the bag.
(My 2c is to get what you genuinely need - if you wait to be "approved", it raises questions about how badly you needed the things. Hopefully you have access to a credit card to cover the interim expense even if it is reimbursed as it should be.)
Your EU passenger rights are here
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...en.htm#luggage
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by halifaxtraveler
Hi,

I need some help ASAP as I’m currently not getting anywhere with Air Canada or Brussels Airlines as both just want to past blame onto each other and his is getting me nowhere.

Yesterday me, my wife and 6 month travelled from YHZ on AC607 to YYZ, we had a long layover of around 8 hours, and then travelled SN552 to Brussels, when we got to Brussels we notice very little luggage came off the flight, possibly only around 30 bags.
if single ticket and since the last carrier is Brussels Airlines, you have to file your missing bag with SN.

when you filed your missing bags at BRU with SN, you should have told them the address of your hotel and till when it is valid. In your case, you should have given the address in Berlin as well. did you file the missing bag with Brussels Airlines? you need to update your current location with them and its' validity period? you should be able to track at worldtracer.

https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero/WTRI...0-56A170B209B6

you can buy clothes, underwear, toiletries in a reasonable manner (note the montreal convention is a reimbursement scheme), otherwise it will be really hard to flight for reimbursement. also, you will need to keep the receipt and to submit probably online. SN will probably try to low ball you with flight voucher at first. if your purchase is reasonable, insist reimbursement in cash.

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/com...g/default.aspx
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
if single ticket and since the last carrier is Brussels Airlines, you have to file your missing bag with SN.

we have a return ticket for in the new year with Swiss airlines and then Air Canada, everything was booked on one ticket via Aeroplan as a reward ticket.

when you filed your missing bags at BRU with SN, you should have told them the address of your hotel and till when it is valid. In your case, you should have given the address in Berlin as well. did you file the missing bag with Brussels Airlines? you need to update your current location with them and its' validity period? you should be able to track at worldtracer.

yes I given them our address we staying at when travelling including our stay in Berlin and then our address for when in the UK. We did report it at the airport with swissport

https://wtrweb.worldtracer.aero/WTRI...0-56A170B209B6

you can buy clothes, underwear, toiletries in a reasonable manner (note the montreal convention is a reimbursement scheme), otherwise it will be really hard to flight for reimbursement. also, you will need to keep the receipt and to submit probably online. SN will probably try to low ball you with flight voucher at first. if your purchase is reasonable, insist reimbursement in cash.

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/com...g/default.aspx
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Forget about blame. This is solely about reimbursement and logistics. Reimbursement for your interim expenses and the logistics of being reunited with your bags.

Hopefully you have your first few days needs in your carry-on so the interim expense issue will never arise. But, if it does, as others note, you will need to submit receipts and a justification to SN. It may take time to collect, so be prepared for that.

Yes, SN will deliver your bags and should it come to pass that you have moved on from Berlin, just make certain that SN (via WorldTracer) is updated with a good address and your full mobile number (be certain to include country and city codes).

In the meantime, check WT if you wish. That is what SN will do if you call. Thus, you are as up-to-date as SN and there is no value in endless calls. It is also not worth worrying about this as you cannot affect the process. Nobody here can tell you when and if the bags will make it.
dav662 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:28 pm

halifaxtraveler: check your DMs...
arf04 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by flyquiet
The last airline is responsible to you, even if the other was the one that misplaced the bag.
(My 2c is to get what you genuinely need - if you wait to be "approved", it raises questions about how badly you needed the things. Hopefully you have access to a credit card to cover the interim expense even if it is reimbursed as it should be.)
Your EU passenger rights are here
https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...en.htm#luggage
SN should know where your bags are as the previous OP said. If there is a tag on the bag they can find it. I am sure they know where your bags are right now.
Are your bags tagged to the final destination?
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
Originally Posted by halifaxtraveler
Hi,

I need some help ASAP as I知 currently not getting anywhere with Air Canada or Brussels Airlines as both just want to past blame onto each other and his is getting me nowhere.

I値l walked over to baggage services and was told my luggage did not make the flight as it was not loaded in YYZ along with 80 plus other customers from that flight.

I have a ref number that was given to me and was told someone would call me with a update.

I知 now in Berlin till Tuesday before visiting family in the UK, what is the likelihood I知 will be getting my lulggage in the next few days?

What are my rights in the form of compensate as we have any little on us in the form of clothes ? I have asked both airlines without luck.

Also will they deliver my baggage to me in Berlin?

thanks
They'll deliver your bags to wherever you are. It's their problem that they lost your luggage - it's possible that there might be extra costs for you (which you can file a complaint for), but it'll be delivered to BRU, TXL, UK, YHZ... wherever. But you'll probably get your luggage within 1-4 days, at least that's my experience with LH group in Europe. Usually the next day.

I had a similar situation once where not a single bag came off a full Q400 (Croatia Airlines). The line for baggage services was ridiculous (apparently over 2 hours) - thankfully, I was travelling with an LH Senator so the wait for that line wasn't too bad.

You can buy compensated necessities for the time being, but don't expect SN to cover new Valentino sneakers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.