Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IB+ to BA transfer disabled?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

IB+ to BA transfer disabled?

With my Avios expiring at the end of the year in both BA EC and IB+ I thought I'd renew the former by transferring from the latter. Both accounts have been opened for well over 90 days.

On both BA and IB websites, I see the option to transfer from BA to IB, but not in the other direction. I called the IB service center and was told that option is disabled "due to an IT issue", and while they're working on the resolution, I can get the avios transferred by emailing [email protected].

They replied to my email with general terms and conditions for transfer, and telling me to call the service center if I still had any problems. Calling the service center again, I was told they're still working on the IT issue and I should email again.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to end this ordeal, preferably before the Avios expire in both programs?

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by AXR64
With my Avios expiring at the end of the year in both BA EC and IB+ I thought I'd renew the former by transferring from the latter. Both accounts have been opened for well over 90 days.

On both BA and IB websites, I see the option to transfer from BA to IB, but not in the other direction. I called the IB service center and was told that option is disabled "due to an IT issue", and while they're working on the resolution, I can get the avios transferred by emailing [email protected].

They replied to my email with general terms and conditions for transfer, and telling me to call the service center if I still had any problems. Calling the service center again, I was told they're still working on the IT issue and I should email again.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to end this ordeal, preferably before the Avios expire in both programs?

Thanks in advance.
I can't comment on the problems associated with the transfer, but are you certain that transferring Avios from IB to BA extends the expiration date on either account?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
I can't comment on the problems associated with the transfer, but are you certain that transferring Avios from IB to BA extends the expiration date on either account?
Not sure about IB and don't really care since I will be transferring all Avios out of it, but with BA my understanding is is any deposit moves the expiration date forward by 36 months.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure about IB and don't really care since I will be transferring all Avios out of it, but with BA my understanding is is any deposit moves the expiration date forward by 36 months.
The problem is that a transfer from IB might not count as a "deposit."
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
The problem is that a transfer from IB might not count as a "deposit."
Combining BA ->IB definitely does not count to extend validity in IB+. I would be surprised if a transfer to BA does.

In my account I see the option to transfer in both directions, as usual, although I haven't tried it.

Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You are definitely not going to extend the life of Avios by Combining Your Avios between IB+ and BAEC.

Depending on your expiry dates, I suggest you come up with a transaction, preferably in both accounts. In particular, old unused IB+ accounts have a habit of being quite nasty when you try to use them again in the future.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Well, I just called BA and they assured me that transferring Avios from IB+ to BAEC counts as a deposit and will definitely extend the validity of BA Avios.

As for the transfer itself, they attempted it and failed, then they transferred me to Iberia, and they also failed. They said it's an IT issue and to try again later.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I just called BA and they assured me that transferring Avios from IB+ to BAEC counts as a deposit and will definitely extend the validity of BA Avios.

As for the transfer itself, they attempted it and failed, then they transferred me to Iberia, and they also failed. They said it's an IT issue and to try again later.
Airline phone agents say lots of things; some of those things are correct, and some aren't. If the agent gave you misinformation, what is your recourse?

For your own sake, I would strongly suggest that you earn or redeem some Avios in each account ASAP. Take a survey, use a shopping portal, credit a car rental or hotel stay, etc.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

Just make sure to circle back round to complain when all of your Avios have expired... Agents hand out incorrect advice all of the time.

FWIW, do you have a Household Account?
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

I'll see what I can do about extending the validity on my own.

Yes, it is a household account (the BA one, IB is not). Interestingly enough, the BA agent at first told me it could be a problem, put me on hold for like 10 min, then came back and said it's not a problem.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 2:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The Executive Club T&Cs now indicates that a transfer will extend the life of your Avios

"If a Member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months, all Avios points that have accrued to that date will expire."
Old Dec 13, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Prospero
The Executive Club T&Cs now indicates that a transfer will extend the life of your Avios

"If a Member has not earned or redeemed Avios points or purchased or transferred Avios points in accordance with the Conditions of Use for 36 consecutive months, all Avios points that have accrued to that date will expire."
"Transfer" is from one BAEC member to another. You don't "transfer" to/from IB+, you "combine Avios"

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...ditions-of-use

Moving Avios using 'Combine my Avios' will not count as earning or redeeming Avios; and will not prevent the expiry of your Avios balance under the Programmes terms and conditions.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'll see what I can do about extending the validity on my own.

Yes, it is a household account (the BA one, IB is not). Interestingly enough, the BA agent at first told me it could be a problem, put me on hold for like 10 min, then came back and said it's not a problem.
You can't transfer FROM IB+ into a BA HHA. So, as usual, there's nothing "disabled". Simply somebody not understanding the restrictions on HHAs.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Indeed, IB customer support replied with the following:

We would like to inform you that we verified that all the personal details on both accounts are totally matching. However, you are only going to be able to transfer Avios from your BA EC account into your Iberia Plus account and not from your IB+ to your BA EC account. This is because you have your BA EC account configured as a Household account. Therefore, you would need to switch your BA EC account as a personal account in order to be able to transfer the Avios from your Iberia Plus to your British Airways account.

After I converted my BA account to individual, the transfer from IB+ worked like a charm. I then recreated the HHA.

Also, I called BA again and was told the exact opposite of what I was told yesterday. Combining Avios does not count as transfer and therefore does not extend their validity. The agent said the cheapest/quickest way to extend validity is to go to BA shopping portal and buy something, even for $1, which is what I will do.

Thanks again for all the info provided in this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.