Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best elite options in Phuket or Bangkok?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador

I'm looking for advice on where to stay during my time in Thailand, likely in both Phuket and Bangkok. Platinum with Ambassador. Mid-thirties female, I'll be traveling alone (adding this on to a work trip in Phuket).

What I care about:
- Things within walking distance (I walk a *lot* - 40 min walk to get somewhere is fine). Even just sightseeing, fun areas to walk around, I don't actually care about shopping.
- Quality fitness center
- Ambassador Elite upgrades to suites
- Breakfast! Items like ice cream or warm carbs like bread pudding, OR local specialties are a bonus.
- Other Titanium Elite benefits - lounge, vouchers for drinks, happy hours with canapés, just any other extra special things.
- Working air conditioning

What I don't care about:
- Pools
- Great formal dining (I do love this in general, but not when traveling solo)
- Concierge services
- Family friendly activities
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
There's a looooong thread on best hotels in Bangkok you should have a search and read through. Whilst you might not mind walking you're likely to find the heat in Bangkok fairly oppressive so walking too far isn't an option if you don't want to arrive sweating buckets!

Very generally speaking the hotels in Bangkok are located in 4 areas. The Sheraton on the river is next to the temples. Then you've got a few hotels (W, Surawong, LeMeridien) that are in the business district of Silom. The downtown shopping district is covered by the St Regis,W, Ren and Plaza Athenee. Finally you have the Sukhumvit area which is more touristy and in places more sleazy, the hotels in that area are the Aloft, JW, Westin and Sheraton Grande. There are a few other outliers in more upscale 'local/expat' areas that are fine too but they are quite a way from everything IMO.

If you have SNAs you should have a pretty good success rate in Bangkok. Whilst there is generally good elite recognition you aren't always guaranteed a suite especially at properties that are popular with elites or have plenty or revenue customers (Sheraton Grande & St Regis). All of the hotels have functional gyms. I find the properties on the Sukhumvit side to all be more than adequate. The W, LeMeridien and St Regis are all OK but nothing special. It's too long since I've stayed at the others to comment.

As far as breakfast is concerned, this is a hotly debated topic but the Sheraton Grande is one of the best and I'd argue LeMeridien is pretty strong too. Suggest you drop in on the other thread for specific comments on this. Air Con is fine at all prperties except the Aloft where I've found it to be pretty weak.
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 8:37 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Really? Sleazy places in Bangkok? I don't think so, unless you really go looking for them.

In Bangkok I like the suites at the Plaza Athenee which has a great breakfast and is away from those "sleazy" places some people like to complain about. The Sheraton Grande is very convenient to transportation and the breakfast seems to make everyone happy, as well as the afternoon/evening F&B. I like the views from the Sheraton ROS on the river, and recently got an SNA UPG to the Exec Suite for a staycation, and there would be plenty of walking areas nearby.The lounge there is overrun with tourists and the food is just ehhh. Of course, eating and drinking in Bangkok is so inexpensive, it really isn't necessary to subject yourself to a lounge experience. I'd pass on the Westin, any lounge that pours Johnney Walker Red as their best scotch is off my list.

In Phuket, we like to stay away from the crowds so Mai Khao is our favorite. Haven't stayed at the Renaisance but got a tour of the property last time we were there and will definitely try it. A nice walk along the beach to some great hole-in-the-wall (some food trucks with great fish and Thai dishes) places to eat and get beach massage. Stilll uncrowded, but developing rapidly, so hurry before they ruin it like they did with Karon Beach.
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah, I don't really agree with the gratuitous "sleazy" comment. While JW is very close to Nana, LM is right next to Patpong, and Westin does get some streetwalkers right in front, none of this is a safety issue or really responsive to any of OP's questions. Bangkok is overall extremely safe by western standards.

OP should definitely peruse the Bangkok thread, as the various choices have been discussed there in great deal. (Though I'll say that IMO SGS has a better breakfast and warmer service than Athenee, while Athenee has nicer rooms and a great pool. Both properties have excellent fitness centers.)

I don't stay at Marriotts in Phuket . . . all the options involve too much compromise for my taste. I've been staying at the Surin Phuket and it is one of my favorite places anywhere. The beach is spectacular.
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Overall for the OP's criteria, I'd vote for Athenee, although when I stayed, elite breakfast was downstairs in the restaurant with the big buffet, not up in the lounge. I'm not sure whether the hotel gives you a choice on that now. I walked to all the major shopping centers, SGS, and the downtown park. You're also close to several public transportation lines, but not literally on top of or attached to a station as some of the hotels are.
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Sounds like you may like the Sheraton by the river. Right outside daily are a few local street food (if you are adventurous enough to try them, they are actually very good IMO). A small mall next door. Great views at night. However, last time I was there they didn't upgrade me to a suite, but that could just be their suites are all occupied. Decent lounge. What is the best part is the free boat ride to another major mega mall + outdoor lifetstyle mall that is just 5 minutes (boat speed) away. On weekend the line could be long, but weekdays the lines are short and the wait is only 10 minutes max to get on the boat. The river also takes you up and down all the major tourist sites, so it's very convenient in that regard.
jewree likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Overall for the OP's criteria, I'd vote for Athenee
Which of the other Bangkok properties have you actually stayed at?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:19 am

While everyone has a special favourite hotel in Bangkok, the reality is you could stay in any of them and not be disappointed...at least ROS, Westin, PA, SGS, LeM, Marquis, Four Points ( even Aloft) , ie the ones at which I’ve stayed. Very, very rare to have a ‘bad’ stay.
I do recall seeing bread and butter pudding at breakfast somewhere in Bangkok, but since my reincarnation as a low carb zealot , I’ve forgotten which one.
EuropeanPete, Kacee, JBord and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by paolo64
While everyone has a special favourite hotel in Bangkok, the reality is you could stay in any of them and not be disappointed...at least ROS, Westin, PA, SGS, LeM, Marquis, Four Points ( even Aloft) , ie the ones at which I’ve stayed. Very, very rare to have a ‘bad’ stay.
So true!

Like Hyatt in Tokyo, but even better.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:27 am

Yeah .. but there's only one SGS. Meets all your criteria and then some.

-David
Dr. HFH, EuropeanPete and jewree like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Dec 22, 2019 at 8:00 pm
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sukhumvit Marriott on Soi 57 is my favorite when traveling alone. It’s in a trendy area for local Thais and Japanese tourists. Tons of good dining and cool music clubs and bars in Thong Lo area and right on the BTS line so it’s convenient to get to other areas. It has a pretty good gym and a fairly happening rooftop bar. Usually get upgraded as a titanium and they have awesome huge bathtubs.

You may want to look into this as a possibility.
newshound and jewree like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by SHLTP
No sleaze? What are people smoking? I have no problem with BKK's nightlife and it certainly is not dangerous but if you don't want your kids seeing teenage hookers with usually much older men, you don't want to stay at Westin, SGS or JW where Street hookers are everywhere. I've stayed at the fat two with kids in tow & the kids were oblivious.

But if you don't want your kids to see that, then stay away from the areas the person outlined above. Patpong is a little hidden from LM but not really

PA would get my vote
Couldn't agree more !
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by newshound
Couldn't agree more !
Not so much right at and in front of the SGS or JW. Around the corner? Across the street? Sure. It's Bangkok.

-David
Dr. HFH and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
While everyone has a special favourite hotel in Bangkok, the reality is you could stay in any of them and not be disappointed...at least ROS, Westin, PA, SGS, LeM, Marquis, Four Points (even Aloft) , ie the ones at which I’ve stayed. Very, very rare to have a ‘bad’ stay.
The ROS is probably more of a mid-market, large tour group hotel than OP wants. In terms of quality of hard product, soft product, genuineness of service, etc., it's not in the same category as the others in this list, even Aloft.

I do recall seeing bread and butter pudding at breakfast somewhere in Bangkok, but since my reincarnation as a low carb zealot , I’ve forgotten which one.
LM. Every day, -- it's part of the regular breakfast buffet.

No sleaze? What are people smoking? I have no problem with BKK's nightlife and it certainly is not dangerous but if you don't want your kids seeing teenage hookers with usually much older men, you don't want to stay at Westin, SGS or JW where Street hookers are everywhere.
I stay in that area regularly, including another stay starting in a few days. There are street walkers in the area, but you have to look for them.

But if you don't want your kids to see that, then stay away from the areas the person outlined above.
Nonsense. Don't want them to see what, -- girls standing on the sidewalk? Your kids will not be accosted.

Patpong is a little hidden from LM....
It's right across the street!
EuropeanPete, jewree and ftrichard like this.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Dec 10, 2019 at 6:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.