Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Bluetooth Signal Issues @ YYZ Int'l MLL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75K

This might be too niche or specific, but I've observed it a few times now so wondering if it's just me.

Over the last few visit to the YYZ Int'l MLL, I've noticed intermittent signal disruptions for my AirPods. Has anyone else encountered the same?

At this point, I assume most of us have experienced / heard about the mobile signal issues on the Dreamliner, but this is a new one for me.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've never had that issue at any lounge or on any 787, with either of my Bose headphones.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I've never had that issue at any lounge or on any 787, with either of my Bose headphones.
To be clear, my issue with Bluetooth / AirPods connectivity pertains only to the Int'l MLL.

The Dreamliner signal interference issues have nothing to do with headphones or Bluetooth — this one is about cellular reception.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
YYZ Intl has a couple cellular repeaters plus many wifi access points.

Thesr can overlap the 2.4ghz signal band used by Bluetooth.... but usually a device with closer proximity (headphones) would operage fine, with loss of range or xfer speed being the biggest issue.

If others with your same device model # don't have issues, I'd suspect your device was built on a Friday (maybe an off spec or damaged insulation layer, etc).
Bohemian1, ecc and capedreamer like this.

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 6, 2019 at 4:41 pm
Old Dec 6, 2019, 4:32 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Yeah, sounds device specific to me too.

Or, depending upon your degree of paranoia, someone is following you around with a Bluetooth jammer.
expert7700 and capedreamer like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by expert7700

Thesr can overlap the 2.4ghz signal band used by Bluetooth.... but usually a device with closer proximity (headphones) would operage fine, with loss of range or xfer speed being the biggest issue.

If others with your same device model # don't have issues, I'd suspect your device was built on a Friday (maybe an off spec or damaged insulation layer, etc).
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Yeah, sounds device specific to me too.

Or, depending upon your degree of paranoia, someone is following you around with a Bluetooth jammer.
Thanks for the input. Oddly, I’m pretty certain I had the same issue in this lounge (and seemingly only this lounge) with my last pair of AirPods as well.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700

Thesr can overlap the 2.4ghz signal band used by Bluetooth....
The WiFi access points most likely would, but the cellular repeaters won’t unless they’re rather faulty... rather different frequencies.
ecc likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That said, the 787-8 seems to do a great job of blocking cellular service....at least in BNE.

My phone can barely hold a connection at the gate
capedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: *$ Green
Airports generally have a lot of red wave interference which can prevent bluetooth devices from working carefully.

The YYZ MLL is right next to one of the emitters.

If you can get a purple inverter software on your device, it'll be able to filter out the red and leave you with the blue.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:11 am
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Airports generally have a lot of red wave interference which can prevent bluetooth devices from working carefully.

If you can get a purple inverter software on your device, it'll be able to filter out the red and leave you with the blue.
maybe we should call in Green Lantern to take care of the issue.
SparseFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SparseFlyer

Oh interesting. What is this emitter for?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Oh interesting. What is this emitter for?
Eum... Eum... that's classified.
capedreamer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.