Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Wrong Frequent Flyer number - Journey complete

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

Hello - I asked the gate agent to make sure that my AA number was attached to my ticket, but she did it only for my companion's ticket and I did not notice it till the journey ended yesterday. The flight ended up being credited to AsiaMIles instead. What is the optimal way to reverse this?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by levistrauss
Hello - I asked the gate agent to make sure that my AA number was attached to my ticket, but she did it only for my companion's ticket and I did not notice it till the journey ended yesterday. The flight ended up being credited to AsiaMIles instead. What is the optimal way to reverse this?
I would expect that sadly, you are entirely out of luck with this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 1:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Not if you do not have pretty high status with Marco Polo
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:02 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
We warmly welcome you to the Asia Miles / Marco Polo Club.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:07 am
Original Poster

No Marco Polo status, but I am Executive Platinum with AA.

I always wanted to be a Marco Polo elite but not like this, ha ha - but seriously, is there really nothing I can do?
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Thank you Kind Sir! Oh man!
Old Nov 22, 2019, 2:48 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by QRC3288
I always wanted to be a Marco Polo elite but not like this, ha ha - but seriously, is there really nothing I can do?
Thank you Kind Sir! Oh man!
(Probably crossed the border into Omni/PR but I pray indulgence for a one-off) You're now like voting for the CCP this weekend (or its connecting partners like the DAB) by mistake and you're now begging the returning officer (ahem!) to let you have a do-over...

Edit 25/11: Make a retro mileage claim. But AA will mark your claim "TENDERED" https://www.reddit.com/r/HongKong/co...mber_was_used/
Isochronous, tentseller and :D! like this.

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 24, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:10 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Just wondering why you had the Asia miles number in the booking in the first place since you have AA status, and you didn’t want to build CX status?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sxc
Just wondering why you had the Asia miles number in the booking in the first place since you have AA status, and you didn’t want to build CX status?
It's the default in my Cathay profile. Even if I change it to AA on the website it always defaults to Asia Miles and I ask the Gate Agents to change it for me. This time I did exactly the same thing except I didnt check my tickets after she handed it to me. They changed my wife's number but didn't change mine. This is on me as I really should have double checked the tickets.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:25 am
Original Poster

I am fine begging for mercy, a one time indulgence etc - but what is the optimael method? I am going to be in HKG in 10 days, but I fear it might be too late.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 3:29 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You might want to create a new “registered account” which allows you to manage your CX bookings without using an Asia miles number.
Old Nov 22, 2019, 4:08 am

It seems that I may be SOL as well. I had entered in my Alaska miles online, but it looks like the miles were attributed to my AA account. Im assuming there is no recourse?

Edit: Just checked my boarding pass and it says AS, but manage my booking says AA. Any idea where it gets credited to? This is weird.

Last edited by triks; Nov 22, 2019 at 4:38 am
Old Nov 22, 2019, 6:20 am

While I have no input on how to reverse it, I can offer some insights with changing FF#s. I travel with a laptop (maybe I shouldn't, but...), and up to almost anytime before the flight, I can log onto the US CX site changing FF#s, even having different FF#s for each respective flight on the PNR.

At least, in my experience, CX is extremely generous in allowing one to use his/her MPC FF# for elite benefits (seat selection, lounge & boarding), then changing it to another FF# pre-flight. I recall being surprised when a lounge rep suggested it as an option; I asked if CX would ok with that, and her reply was, "Why not? Let me write down your MPC number here so you can have priority boarding."
percysmith likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I am fine begging for mercy, a one time indulgence etc - but what is the optimael method? I am going to be in HKG in 10 days, but I fear it might be too late.
Unless your AA number is on your BP rather than your CX number, begging on your knees will achieve nothing.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Visconti
While I have no input on how to reverse it, I can offer some insights with changing FF#s. I travel with a laptop (maybe I shouldn't, but...), and up to almost anytime before the flight, I can log onto the US CX site changing FF#s, even having different FF#s for each respective flight on the PNR.

At least, in my experience, CX is extremely generous in allowing one to use his/her MPC FF# for elite benefits (seat selection, lounge & boarding), then changing it to another FF# pre-flight. I recall being surprised when a lounge rep suggested it as an option; I asked if CX would ok with that, and her reply was, "Why not? Let me write down your MPC number here so you can have priority boarding."
This isn't sneeky, there is a formal way of doing this properly assuming you can find an agent who knows how to do and not mess it up.

In the booking system there are a few fields for FFP data

FQTV - FreQuent Traveller a/c to credit for Value
FQTS - FreQuent Traveller a/c to use for Status
FQTR - FreQuent Traveller a/c used for Redemption
FQTU - FreQuent Traveller a/c used for Upgrade

The main one, the customer facing one, and the one that you update via the web is FQTV.

If you want to use another program for status without it being credited then you can try to get an agent to put this into FQTS, if it's done right this means you can be recognised as having status before and throughout your journey without needing to flip your FFP number at some point during the journey.
Visconti and royng like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.