Wiki Posts
Search

CPAP battery required

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GM
CPAP battery required

Flying LAX-NRT-LAX this month and want to use a CPAP with the onboard power at my PE seat. The airline e-mail says "CPAP should be self powered".

Am I correct in believing that means that a battery is not required? I would rather leave my battery at home.

I saw a 2017 thread here that indicates it would be ok but would like some reassurance, if available, as this is my first long haul SQ flight.

I've pretty much decided not to take the battery. i just got a call from them and the battery is "recommended".

I just got another call and the same person now says it is "required".

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Nov 13, 2019 at 11:03 am Reason: new response from SQ
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
CPAP should be self powered
This sounds to me like a battery is required, and that you won't be able to use it without a battery. I suppose you can always get in touch with SQ again to clarify this point.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The written policy is fairly clear that it is a recommendation, not a requirement. But, having called, one presumes that your PNR was noted with the "required." In any event, the reason for this is that seat power is not part of the MEL. If it is not functioning or cannot generate the required power, the aircraft still flies as the power is considered a non-essential convenience.

For this reason, most carriers leave it to the passenger but also make it clear that this is undertaken at your risk. Bottom line is a medical one, e.g. "what happens to you if there is no power and between time in the air and a delay here and there, you are off the machine for 15 hours?"

You don’t need approval to use these devices on board our flights. However, we may not be able to provide inflight power supply on all your flights with us. We recommend that you use a gel or dry battery that can power the equipment for at least 150% of the flight time. For instance, if your flight is 10 hours long, please have a battery supply of 15 hours.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I am regretting having contacted them because now the "required" is in my PNR. I probably would have been ok without the battery if I had not done so.

That requirement for battery life to be 150% of the flight duration is ridiculous. This is not a portable oxygen container. It is just for sleep. If I got five or six hours of sleep on the flight then I would be very happy.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
Yes, I am regretting having contacted them because now the "required" is in my PNR. I probably would have been ok without the battery if I had not done so.

That requirement for battery life to be 150% of the flight duration is ridiculous. This is not a portable oxygen container. It is just for sleep. If I got five or six hours of sleep on the flight then I would be very happy.
It is there for liability purposes. If the power to your seat is not functioning and you suffer an adverse event as a result, they want it clear that you were told in advance not to depend on the power.

Nothing more.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It is there for liability purposes. If the power to your seat is not functioning and you suffer an adverse event as a result, they want it clear that you were told in advance not to depend on the power.

Nothing more.
Indeed. Suprised OP doesn't realize this
Old Nov 14, 2019, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Ok, so this:
"We may not be able to provide inflight power supply on all your flights with us, so your POC device or CPAP machine must use a gel or dry battery that can power it for at least 150% of the flight time."

just means that if I use a battery then it must be of that type and must last an impossibly long time. And it doesn't mean that I must use a battery. That is what got me spun up.

The ANA webpage on this is much more clear about using in-seat power. "CPAP machines are the only medical equipment that can be operated using the electric power outlet of aircraft seats."

Thanks for the replies.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:51 pm

Ok, so this:
"We may not be able to provide inflight power supply on all your flights with us, so your POC device or CPAP machine must use a gel or dry battery that can power it for at least 150% of the flight time."

just means that if I use a battery then it must be of that type and must last an impossibly long time. And it doesn't mean that I must use a battery. That is what got me spun up.

The ANA webpage on this is much more clear about using in-seat power. "CPAP machines are the only medical equipment that can be operated using the electric power outlet of aircraft seats."

Thanks for the replies.
Have I missed something here?

Are you referring to SQ or NH? You posted on SQ forum but the link you listed here is for NH....
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Mlee888
Have I missed something here?

Are you referring to SQ or NH? You posted on SQ forum but the link you listed here is for NH....
I think the poster was contrasting the information he has from SQ vs NH.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:47 pm

The requirement is not ridiculous especially for short flight. 2hrs x 150% =3hrs. So they just make it a fixed value for easy sake. For longer flight, the difference will be bigger but you can bring what you feel is necessary. Dun think SQ is going to check how long is the battery life.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by fimo
I think the poster was contrasting the information he has from SQ vs NH.
But NH also got mention that not all aircraft have power supply. NH just did not mention that the spare battery life requirements
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Take a battery. Nobody at SQ is going to have the technical expertise to know how many hours it will last for, they will take your word for it. As others have stated, they require a battery so that you can't complain if there is no power supply at the seat and you can't use the device (and they build in a massive safety margin of time so that there's no way it will expire during a delayed flight etc.).
Old Nov 16, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
I use CPAP on all my long haul flights and always bring my battery. I find the inflight power supply no matter which airline to not being 100% stable. I.e. have had it cut off so I woke up because of that. Sometimes I go to hotels that still don't have a plug next to the bed and so I use the battery there as well.
Old Nov 16, 2019, 6:42 pm
Suspended

It's up to OP. He's been warned and that's all that matters. If he's OK with the CPAP machine cutting out earlier than he would have wanted, that's fine.

The same policy applies to other devices such as portable oxygen concentrators. If that cuts out, the passenger may die and a diversion may not be feasible. So, common sense suggests that one bring two batteries.

This isn't difficult.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

I did not take a battery.

The CPAP was not an issue, no questions, at check-in at LAX. On-board, an FA plugged it in for me and waited until I verified that the CPAP would work.

I did have to sign a form at check-in at NRT for the flight to LAX. That was it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.