Wiki Posts
Search

Regional Upgrades with GPU vs RPU?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Regional Upgrades with GPU vs RPU?

ok, we all know the relative value of these - and unclear what is going to happy with the RPU/GPU that expire early 2020 once we go to points (will the points last longer? can we request them til april like previous years, etc) - but for those of us with a bunch left over in 2019 that will probably expire in early 2020.... I have a few shorter flights within the US in the next few months, typically <2.5 hours - given the lack of success in using RPU's - does using a GPU place you any higher on a list for an increased chance of a domestic upgrade? Is it even worth it????

-m
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No priority benefit for GPU compared to RPU.

GPU and RPU converted to PlusPoints will have the same expiry.

It's not known yet whether they will allow extension of 80 PlusPoints (2 GPU equivalent). Early indications are they will not.

The only nuance is after conversion to PlusPoints on 4 Dec, you can effectively use half a GPU (in place of RPU).
Old Oct 23, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mfirst
ok, we all know the relative value of these - and unclear what is going to happy with the RPU/GPU that expire early 2020 once we go to points (will the points last longer? can we request them til april like previous years, etc) - but for those of us with a bunch left over in 2019 that will probably expire in early 2020.... I have a few shorter flights within the US in the next few months, typically <2.5 hours - given the lack of success in using RPU's - does using a GPU place you any higher on a list for an increased chance of a domestic upgrade? Is it even worth it????

-m
No. Same priority for upgrade, unfortunately.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Also, don't GPUs and RPUs get converted to PlusPoints on Dec 4? GPUs will become twice as many points as RPUs. I guess it doesn't make a difference if they don't clear, though.

EDIT: oops, already covered by fumje above. Sorry.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If you can, wait until December 3. As everyone's noted, your GPUs will double in value that day for domestic or PP upgrades.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by aacharya
If you can, wait until December 3. As everyone's noted, your GPUs will double in value that day for domestic or PP upgrades.
Having twice as many RPUs that are nearly impossible to use is not much of a benefit.
jtet, fl1ger and Absolute like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.