Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qatar Flight - Qantas Points + Status Credits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2019, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold

Hi,

Flight itinerary with QR. Booked directly with Qatar.
04/10/19 - SYD - DOH - LHR - ECONOMY(W)
19/10/19 - LHR - DOH - SYD - ECONOMY(Q)

I am Gold status with Qantas and had my FF number on the booking. I have yet to receive any points or SC in my Qantas account. Is this because of the booking class? (W and Q).
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/fl...ine-earning#qr

This seems a bit ridiculous. The Qantas calculator does not indicate this when I looked to fly. Would I be able to credit another rewards program?
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: QF WP
Unfortunately for partners the calculator only tells part of the story. I have the long form “which booking classes are eligible?” page bookmarked and consult it every time I book a partner. I have been caught out too many times in the past!

so I suspect it’s correct and you won’t be getting any SC or points

as to whether you can credit elsewhere- maybe, although it’s possible that QR will consider it to have already been credited to QFF (granted, as a zero balance). I think this is especially so if you have used any benefits of your QFF status (eg extra baggage, lounge access etc). Happy to be corrected though
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas Gold
Looking into a bit further and looking at other sample dates, it's almost impossible to get an eligible booking class with Qatar that will get any Qantas points.

I foolishly assumed that as a OneWorld partner they would give some points. It appears the airlines are not that friendly to each other:
https://www.smh.com.au/business/comp...15-p50g5p.html
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It is easy to book fares that will earn points - just phone and purchase in any of KLMV BH Y for economy or book business or 1st class

You might be better off crediting to a different scheme or just not worrying about miles, than paying for higher fares though.

Q and W will both earn 25% to the AA or BA schemes, so would give .5,474 miles if credited to one of those
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:21 pm

If you really want to be pissed off book an MH F ticket from SYD-LHR
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
If you really want to be pissed off book an MH F ticket from SYD-LHR
Given that MH doesn't have 1st class, I would be really annoyed if I purchased one and then travelled
nancypants and shillard like this.
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that MH doesn't have 1st class, I would be really annoyed if I purchased one and then travelled
they still sell tickets booked in F class, albeit marketed as business suite (whatever that means ). Credit to QFF as economy...
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:42 pm

they still sell tickets booked in F class, albeit marketed as business suite (whatever that means ). Credit to QFF as economy...
'F' is just a letter of the alphabet and doesn't have to mean 1st class. MH no longer offers 1st class but business and business suite ( which is from what I can tell a way of charging more for nicer business class seating - old 1st class seats )

Of course - there are other schemes where the points can go and possibly be a lot more valuable
Old Oct 22, 2019, 6:45 pm

'F' is just a letter of the alphabet and doesn't have to mean 1st class. MH no longer offers 1st class but business and business suite ( which is from what I can tell a way of charging more for nicer business class seating - old 1st class seats )

Of course - there are other schemes where the points can go and possibly be a lot more valuable
while I agree with you in general, I think it is a bit of a stretch in that particular case for QFF to choose to credit it as economy

i’ve only been at it for 3 years but my general overview of the QFF scheme is that it penalises those who fly airlines other than QF group, especially so in premium cabins. That is merely a quirk that one needs to find ways of responding to
Old Oct 22, 2019, 7:19 pm

Qantas does indeed these days favour travel on Qantas. I don't think that Qantas would even consider denying it. The Qantas scheme is generally, imo, a very poor scheme for earning and redeeming
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:13 am

Programs: Enrich
actually, qantas just updated now it will credited as first class for FPA booking class. I recalled last year even MH J class is only credited to Y by QFF.

it just seems like QF has a very bad relationship with MH. on the other hand, most of QF Y class ticket also unable to credit in MH enrich
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by dici
actually, qantas just updated now it will credited as first class for FPA booking class. I recalled last year even MH J class is only credited to Y by QFF.

it just seems like QF has a very bad relationship with MH. on the other hand, most of QF Y class ticket also unable to credit in MH enrich
yeah I think the larger point I’m making is that I find it a bit sad within an alliance. I am very familiar with BAEC and LATAM not crediting anywhere near as many points/KMs/avios etc as on their own metal but the tier points or similar were always comparable. Obviously a lot of bad blood between QF and MH/QR which I also find incredibly sad as there are places on the route map that it’s just not possible to get to entirely on QF or codeshares

edit to add
the earning table has not been updated to reflect enhanced earn beyond economy ex ANZ or towards LHR
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:20 am

I wouldn't read anything more into it other than what the airlines are prepared to pay for mileage credit
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:28 am

I wouldn't read anything more into it other than what the airlines are prepared to pay for mileage credit
do airlines pay a separate amount for SCs? The KMs I can understand on that basis. I suppose this is the sort of thing that is commercial in confidence and we’ll never really get an official answer about
Old Oct 23, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I found Perth offered the best sc when flying Qatar out of Oz. Haven’t looked again lately.

Otherwise as a general rule I aim to credit partner flights to BA or AA. Easy enough to keep points alive in those schemes currently. Domestic BA to QF was ok with 10sc per economy leg.

Not sure about all airports but I was still allowed entry to the BA lounge in Singapore even with my nonstatus number in the booking and showing my Qantas card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.