Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Surprise ticket: Adding friend's BAEC number without them finding out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2019, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G, BA Silver

I've bought a mileage run to HEL for me and a friend in the recent BA sale (£200 return in CE!). He is a silver and I'd like to take advantage of his status to book seats in advance, but the ticket is a present so I'd like it to stay a surprise. If I add his FF number to the booking I think the booking will display in his app. Has anybody found a way around this? Thanks!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by tomauk
If I add his FF number to the booking I think the booking will display in his app. Has anybody found a way around this?
AFAIK, there isn't one. If you want to keep the surprise, accept the downside that comes with it.
Redhead likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I've got the reverse; upgraded two friends to CW in March to LAX - they think they are in Y (they're Blue I'm gold)

He keeps asking why it's not in their app; I blame the ropey BA IT. They believe it !
PETER01, TTmex and polochick like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:27 am

Get them to add it at the airport.
armouredant likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Add it, select seats then remove and hope friend doesn't check app inbetween?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:53 am

I don't believe there is a workaround to this and I don't think there should be one.

It's one thing booking a ticket for someone else - there's no practical way or reason to prevent that - but I'd be unhappy at anyone else using the perks of my status without my knowledge. That would cross the line for me, even as a potential beneficiary.

But then I'm not big on surprise trips either. Anticipation (and preparation) is a big part of the travel experience for me (well, for leisure trips anyway).
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: BA GGL
Add the FF number to the booking, select the seats, then remove it?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I assume you friend knows you have planned something for that day and Isn't expected to be somewhere else?

Few years ago friends tried this with another friend and lets say it did not work well with lots of recrimination and arguments!
TTmex likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Platinum, TK *G, BA Silver
Thanks for the suggestions! I added his number and selected seats, but I couldn't see an option to remove the number in MMB. A quick search of this forum indicated that it can be done under MMB on finnair.com which seems to have worked.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I assume you friend knows you have planned something for that day and Isn't expected to be somewhere else?

Few years ago friends tried this with another friend and lets say it did not work well with lots of recrimination and arguments!
That is definitely an unfortunate one.

I still wait around every year at birthdays and christmas for someone to tell me they've got me a TP run or even just a flight to the beach. Still waiting...
HIDDY and Agent69 like this.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:57 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Or maybe the OP will tell the friend on the way to the airport, to discover he has only packed shorts and t-shirts for a January trip to Finland

To the OP, when will you actually tell your friend that you have booked this? I don't really get the leaving it to the last minute thing, surely the nice surprise is when you tell them (leaving them time to plan what they want to do, pack, etc).
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks for the suggestions! I added his number and selected seats, but I couldn't see an option to remove the number in MMB. A quick search of this forum indicated that it can be done under MMB on finnair.com which seems to have worked.
I was under the impression BA eventually kick people out of seats their status is no longer entitled to, ie. golds booking 1A/K and soft landing to silver before departure.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Just for completeness, what does MMB now show, in relation to the seats you’ve chosen and the prices shown for booking/chancing them ?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:26 am

Is his name before yours in the alphabet? Mr W's is, and whenever I pick seats (I have status, he doesn't and I make teh bookings) he receives the confirmation email.... could be other forces at work here, but I seem to recall that was the theory suggested on here.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by BA707
I was under the impression BA eventually kick people out of seats their status is no longer entitled to, ie. golds booking 1A/K and soft landing to silver before departure.
I think that 1A/K being reserved for Golds is a different thing. Most reports here suggest that normal seat reservations tend to stick until/unless something on the booking changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.