Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why so few audio choices on the Delta IFE?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

While Delta seems to have hundreds of movies and TV shows, they only have about 30 music albums and rarely change them? I listen to streaming services so cannot rely on my phone for music when in the sky. Has anyone else wondered about this? It's not storage space, music takes up far less space than a movie. I'd like to listen to music when flying. Yes, spotify has an offline mode, but that's work :-(
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL MM 3.2, DM; UAL; AAL
I have wondered the same and also wonder WHY on the tv they have NBC and CBS and FOX (local) but not ABC???

Any idea?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
My guess is that most people have portable audio devices with them (phone). Why would Delta want to try and compete with that? I personally never rely on Delta inflight entertainment. I bring my own music and
movies. It is just so easy. As far as which networks they carry, that is probably dictated by the satellite company they use (Dish. i think) and what they allow (copyrights).
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
My guess is that most people have portable audio devices with them (phone). Why would Delta want to try and compete with that? I personally never rely on Delta inflight entertainment. I bring my own music and
movies. It is just so easy. As far as which networks they carry, that is probably dictated by the satellite company they use (Dish. i think) and what they allow (copyrights).
Yet they offer tons of movies. If they're gonna have IFE at all, why not offer better audio?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pfreet
While Delta seems to have hundreds of movies and TV shows, they only have about 30 music albums and rarely change them? I listen to streaming services so cannot rely on my phone for music when in the sky. Has anyone else wondered about this? It's not storage space, music takes up far less space than a movie. I'd like to listen to music when flying. Yes, spotify has an offline mode, but that's work :-(
30 albums isn't a small selection. Also o believe they use a service that determines what to load. It's why some albums appear at same time across multiple airlines.

Also the newer systems hold more than holder. The A339 has much more than others.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
My guess is they don't want to pay the licensing fees. I too am perpetually disappointed in Delta's lack of music choice. AA isn't much better - more titles but mostly lousy selections. But Virgin Atlantic is awesome. Took 15 minutes to flip through the 500+ albums on a recent flight.
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Slightly off-topic, but JetBlue's refurbished A320s (Phase II) and the A321neo do not have any audio options. It appears they are no longer installing SiriusXM satellite radio. The classic A321s and Phase I refurbished A320s still have it.

I nearly always listen to the music when I fly and keep my TV on the map. Now I guess I can watch the map in silence.

-J.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by DLDMFLL
I have wondered the same and also wonder WHY on the tv they have NBC and CBS and FOX (local) but not ABC???

Any idea?
Lawyers. ABC doesn't want to license the rights to them, or Delta isn't willing to pay what ABC is demanding.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:33 pm

Yet they offer tons of movies. If they're gonna have IFE at all, why not offer better audio?
because money
Old Oct 16, 2019, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
My guess is that most people have portable audio devices with them (phone). Why would Delta want to try and compete with that?
Legal/licensing issues aside, I can think of two ways in which this isn't necessarily the best comparison:

- without looking up the history/timeline my feeling is that personal music devices have been a thing for much longer than it's been possible to download Prime/Netflix etc. to a device. So maybe they just haven't caught up to that yet. But in addition...

- the audio will be roughly the same listening to music from your own device as from the IFE since you'll be using the same headphones, whereas if you watch a movie on IFE you will probably be watching it on a larger screen than on your personal device (depending on age of plane) and/or at a better viewing angle (eye-level vs. on the tray table)

unless you go for this approach I guess: https://www.instructables.com/id/Unu...s-Ziploc-Bags/

(or other airlines w/o TV screens that have put a slot in the seatback that can be used as a tablet stand)
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:23 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Pre-merge, NW had an amazing album selection. One of the things I especially liked about flying NW was the ability to sample music that was new to me, especially international music.
Of course, many, many years ago, NW gave a sampler CD to intl business class pax. Sort of NW’s answer to the KL house or the Kenya Air bag of coffee beans.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM
It seems pretty obvious. Everyone has a smartphone with music on it. Not everyone has movies on their smartphone or want to watch a movie on a small device. Thus Delta providing movies on a larger format display is extremely more valuable than them focusing on providing music that 99% of passengers will never use. And the ones that would have used it probably don't end up with absolutely nothing to do - they just listen to whatever they already have. Doesn't seem like a business needle-mover in the slightest, and I doubt that royalties are that much of an issue, it's just the effort isn't worth it at all.
Duke787 and Gig103 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by danielvdm
It seems pretty obvious. Everyone has a smartphone with music on it.
lots of people stream all of their music here in the 21st century
defrosted likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danielvdm
.....providing music that 99% of passengers will never use. And the ones that would have used it probably don't end up with absolutely nothing to do - they just listen to whatever they already have...
Wow... I am usually never classified as "the 1%", so this is a first for me.

Seriously though I stream music, and don't have ANY music on my device, so I actually like having audio selections on the plane. I agree they are very limited and wish the selection was better.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
I am on an A330-200 now and I count more than 130+ albums in the Audio section under “Artists A-Z” across all genres. Not sure where the 30+ is coming from? Perhaps it was on an aircraft type with an older AVOD system?
ryw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.