Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA-Cascading Catastrophic Failure in process (multiple complaints re AA)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me

• A cascading failure is a process in a system of interconnected parts in which the failure of one or few parts can trigger the failure of other parts and so on. Such a failure may happen in many types of systems, including power transmission, computer networking, finance, transportation systems, organisms, human body, and ecosystems.

Cascading failure - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_failure

1. Every interview with AA senior management about the "Summer of hell" is a version of the blame game. 737Max, Rogue unions, weather, etc. A stark contrast to Delta, United, Southwest, where management seems to be both accountable and responsive.

2. Delta steals LATAM out from underneath AA's nose. LATAM senior management just spent 3 days in Doha with Qatar senior management. Alaska is heading to divorce court. Is a pattern starting to form? What do these professional airline people (away from AA) see long term? Who's next to go? (My guess CX).

3. United has "ConnectionSaver https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/24/unit...assengers.html AA has D0. (Last night at DFW, coming off a flight delayed one hour, one passenger was told about his connection 15 gates away-"You should probably run".)

4. Oasis-A concept fundimentally flawed and out of touch with the real world, but so in line with management's flawed perceptions.

5. Employee relations-Unlike Delta, and to a rising degree at United, employees are valued, respected, and given the freedom to do the right thing, take care of the customer, focus on customer service. At AA, employees are given no leeway to do right by the customer out of fear. and are slaves to the gods in revenue management, where EVERY decision seems to come from.

6. Sadly, there is possibly a doctoral thesis or NY Times bestseller on how this eventually plays out. Since "The Smartest Guys in the Room" was taken by Enron, perhaps "The Most Out of Touch Management Within Their Industry-2000 to 2025".

You all probably have more failures you would like to add, or may disagree, which is fine. Interested in other ideas.

Old Oct 15, 2019, 5:31 pm
Suspended

How can we help you?
dls25, cedric, CPRich and 28 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
So be it!
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: CK or bust
From the title I really thought that this was going to be about 2020 Executive Platinum EQD changes.

Phew... dodged one there.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I fail to see how any of those failures were connected or triggered by a previous listed failure point which is curious since you seem to have correctly copy/pasted the definition correctly...
cedric, Yemona, mrcool1122 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:47 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Stepping back for a second and thinking about it, AA is pretty much a train wreck. I now assume the worst and am pleasantly surprised when things run smoothly and on time. It never used to be this way and isn't at other airlines mainly Delta.
cmx and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
So be it!
That’s not to say that you aren’t wrong on those points. Even introducing an AA version of Connection Saver would help!
nancypants likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by enpremiere
From the title I really thought that this was going to be about 2020 Executive Platinum EQD changes.

Phew... dodged one there.
And I thought it would be about the crazy weather that just passed through and how it was impacting AA's operations. Crazy in the AUS area, have no idea about DFW.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Interestingly enough, it appears it was AA that chose to end the AA - AS Award relationship, iirc. Mr. Parker’s shoes must be very well ventilated by all the bullet holes he’s put there. And Boards of Directors are usually very conservative and slow to act definitively in these issues.
wrp96, no1cub17, Gringa and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
If we're doing definitions, some other relevant ones here might be hyperbole, melodramatic, etc.
GTITAN, FAA1996, bse118 and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:48 pm

I can’t even imagine the energy put into this. It’s a friggin airline. In the grand scheme of things, I can’t even say any of this matters, even a little.
GTITAN, nancypants, 757FO and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

• A cascading failure is a process in a system of interconnected parts in which the failure of one or few parts can trigger the failure of other parts and so on. Such a failure may happen in many types of systems, including power transmission, computer networking, finance, transportation systems, organisms, human body, and ecosystems.

Cascading failure - Wikipedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascading_failure

1. Every interview with AA senior management about the "Summer of hell" is a version of the blame game. 737Max, Rogue unions, weather, etc. A stark contrast to Delta, United, Southwest, where management seems to be both accountable and responsive.

2. Delta steals LATAM out from underneath AA's nose. LATAM senior management just spent 3 days in Doha with Qatar senior management. Alaska is heading to divorce court. Is a pattern starting to form? What do these professional airline people (away from AA) see long term? Who's next to go? (My guess CX).

3. United has "ConnectionSaver https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/24/unit...assengers.html AA has D0. (Last night at DFW, coming off a flight delayed one hour, one passenger was told about his connection 15 gates away-"You should probably run".)

4. Oasis-A concept fundimentally flawed and out of touch with the real world, but so in line with management's flawed perceptions.

5. Employee relations-Unlike Delta, and to a rising degree at United, employees are valued, respected, and given the freedom to do the right thing, take care of the customer, focus on customer service. At AA, employees are given no leeway to do right by the customer out of fear. and are slaves to the gods in revenue management, where EVERY decision seems to come from.

6. Sadly, there is possibly a doctoral thesis or NY Times bestseller on how this eventually plays out. Since "The Smartest Guys in the Room" was taken by Enron, perhaps "The Most Out of Touch Management Within Their Industry-2000 to 2025".

You all probably have more failures you would like to add, or may disagree, which is fine. Interested in other ideas.
The funny thing here though is that this is not really any new information.

AA was a tragedy the moment it was taken over by USAir and Doug.

Yes, the first loss was the pmAA soft product. Then it became the on time performance. Then customer service. Then AAdvantage...

... and then a few dozen bullet points later we now have AA severing its partnership with AS and LA being swiped out under the nose of the same inept management team. So yes, AA sucks, it couldn't care less about customer or employee relations, it's losing partners left and right, AAdvantage is a shell of what it once was, and even the plane AA forced Boeing's hand to produce is a dramatic failure and has been grounded for months. As you state, even an airline like United has been able to innovate its way ahead of AA. So yes, I don't disagree, AA has been pretty much a complete failure now for half a decade, which is why I've flown with them two times in the last 18 months. There are a number of better options so the best advice I can offer is to use them.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:39 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Agree, AA has some issues, but what is truly a "cascading failure" is the fact you used valuable time to put all that together and post it here. Dude, it's just an airline. Move on.....
carlosdca and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I am just happy that AA gets me from point A to B, usually on time and sometimes early
GTITAN, 757FO and Beachfun71 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:38 am

Sir, this is an Arbys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.