Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

EDI-LHR-JFK - Change EDI-LHR Flight for free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:48 am
xdh
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G

Hi, I've a booking on a BA Holiday (so flight (BA Metal on all sectors) + hotel) with a fairly tight (but legal) connection at LHR.

Am I right in thinking that any domestic ticket can be changed on the day free of charge either online or at the airport?

Might get a flight (space permitting) a couple of hours earlier if that's doable.

It's the mega cheap non-upgradable fare buckets that the flights are booked into (Economy) if that makes any difference (aware I can't upgrade to WTP on the TA sector).
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xdh
Am I right in thinking that any domestic ticket can be changed on the day free of charge either online or at the airport?

Might get a flight (space permitting) a couple of hours earlier if that's doable.
No, that's not the case, domestic tickets in this scenario are inflexible.

Any T5 connection greater than 40 minutes is do-able, particularly if arriving as a domestic customer. If you don't make the connection the computer will normally just rebook on to one of the many BA or AA flights to New York.

However if your service is running late, usually the EDI gate or lounge staff can look at you using the earlier service. The key bit is when the LHR-EDI service takes off from LHR since that pretty much seals the arrival time, until that point BA can and often does jig flights around to keep to timetable.
xdh likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
It’s only point to point fares that can be changed free on the day as far as I know. You _might_ be lucky at check-in in Edinburgh even if officially it’s not allowed but no guarantees on this.

Otherwise your best hope is to keep an eye out for you a schedule change. I’ve got a domestic connection changed with a 10 minute shift in flight times - you’d need to call and do this but it’s pretty straightforward.

Finally, do consider that you really don’t need long at LHR coming off a domestic as there is a quick boarding pass check and then you’re in T5 departures, no long walks or additional security checks to worry about.
xdh likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:03 am
xdh
Original Poster

Thanks - the connection is 80 mins so fine but my wife wants to look round the shops whereas I was more interested in the hundreds of pounds difference in price and lack of hanging around. I'll keep an eye on flight times for schedule changes in advance and on the day as well. Later departures to JFK are available on the day anyway so even if it's a late delay not a major pain.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:05 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by xdh
Thanks - the connection is 80 mins so fine but my wife wants to look round the shops whereas I was more interested in the hundreds of pounds difference in price and lack of hanging around. I'll keep an eye on flight times for schedule changes in advance and on the day as well. Later departures to JFK are available on the day anyway so even if it's a late delay not a major pain.
Send her to Jo Malone Edinburgh, problem solved.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:09 am

Your partner is going to NYC - a shoppers heaven..or at least what my wife says
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by xdh
Thanks - the connection is 80 mins so fine but my wife wants to look round the shops...
That's a lucky escape.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Shopsalot here on FT is based in NYC and organizes shopping tours as a profession.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:32 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

We went to the Woodbury Outlet Mall in NY state (about an hour outside NYC). I thought I'd bagged a load of bargains.... until I went to Macy's and found things the same price or cheaper there
xdh likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:28 pm
xdh
Original Poster

Thanks for the help - very useful.

Just looking at the flight back and they only have 60 minutes to get from landing into LHR to getting to the EDI flight which may be much tighter depending on the queues but I've always preferred having a small a connection as possible on the way home as you don't really mind having to get the next flight home.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:56 am
xdh
Original Poster

Quick update - their flight is delayed a bit and not due to land according to ba.com until 17:13 and the 18:05 to JFK is showing on time. Going to be close - is anyone from ba likely to be waiting to whisk them to the gate or are they going to have to have a mad dash?
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'd say more likely you have already been rebooked on to a later flight to JFK.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 10:45 am
xdh
Original Poster

final update - they made it.
golfmad likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.