Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates launches 2-second biometric boarding system for US flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold

"Emirates has become the first airline outside the US to receive approval for biometric boarding from the US Customs Border Protection (CBP).

Soon, customers flying from Dubai to any of Emirates' 12 destinations in the US will be able to choose facial recognition technology at the departure gates, reducing the time taken for identity checks to two seconds or less. No pre-registration is required, and customers may also choose not to use the technology. Emirates does not store any biometric records of its customers - all the data is managed securely by CBP.

The technology was piloted at the departure gates of Emirates' flights from Dubai to New York and Los Angeles through the peak periods in July and August.

The results were encouraging with some flights achieving 100 per cent biometric boarding and zero manual checks.

The airline expects to make biometric boarding available for all its US destinations by year-end, once the equipment is in place."
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
I suppose this might make the departure gates more predictable as the equipment would only be limited to certain ones?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
Originally Posted by kq747
I suppose this might make the departure gates more predictable as the equipment would only be limited to certain ones?
Probably, but I'm still trying to figure out why this will save time? Getting through the layers of security for laptop checks once at the gate was the only problem I noticed last time I was in Dubai. I'll be going back in a few months, so maybe I'll notice some new changes on my flight back to the US.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
Probably, but I'm still trying to figure out why this will save time? Getting through the layers of security for laptop checks once at the gate was the only problem I noticed last time I was in Dubai. I'll be going back in a few months, so maybe I'll notice some new changes on my flight back to the US.
It definitely saves some time although I wonder how much? Agents flipping through various passports to verify identity can take a while for almost 500 pax so I can see the savings there. It's been praised in the US where used and that does not even need identity check for most flights at boarding.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by kq747
Or portable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.