Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Comparable perks with other carriers' programmes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling

Firstly, this is quite OT, but please bear with me.

My colleague (who lives in Belgium) has status with Lufthansa similar to what I have with BA (I'm GGL/CCR). Anyway last week she was called by Lufthansa, asking if she would like to go out to dinner as a "thank you" for her loyalty. She went last night. along with her husband (no status), to what turned out to be a two Michelin-starred restaurant where they were wined and dined, along with other "loyal pax", and the CEO of Brussels Airlines was also there.

She was complaining of a hangover today.

So all in all, quite an unexpected reward for loyalty and programme membership.

Has anything similar happened from BA to the GFL, LTGGL etc members here?

Jim

Last edited by HighwayToHEL; Sep 21, 2019 at 5:36 am
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Had an invite to the Fortnum's do a couple of years ago, which was very nice, but other than that very little love... on board or on the ground. And I'm a CCR cardholder again this year, only halfway through my membership year. Not holding my breath for a Michelin-starred dinner invitation !
Old Sep 21, 2019, 5:43 am

Broadening the conversation slightly (and in line with the OP's title), I also have *A Gold (via UA) and ST Elite+ (via DL). In comparison with BA GGL, I would say the following:

* Telephone team: had to call UA Plat line a couple of times for reroutes etc and they were excellent; not had to use the DL one so far. GGL line of course remain the best
* Seat selection: very smooth and easy on both UA and DL apps, exit rows no problem, getting slightly more legroom helped make 9+ hours on a 757 just about bearable
* Priority check in: well managed by both UA and DL; saved my bacon once at EWR when late at the airport for a flight in UA Y and the regular line was out the door... BA of course have the superb First Wing at T5; elsewhere the picture is mixed...
* Priority boarding: UA consistently clear and well controlled; DL consistently confusing and badly managed - DL a clear 3rd here behind BA
* Baggage handling: UA and DL consistenly get my priority-tagged bag out in the first 20 or so; BA always a total crapshoot
* On board love: a couple of nicely done Plat greetings on UA, ditto on DL (bear in mind that I am equivalent to BA Silver in both programmes). Pretty much zilch on BA.

That's my experience so far in 2019 anyway
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If you mean your colleague is HON, this is simply not equivalent to Ggl/Ccr or FB ultimate. Of the three, HON gets you by far the best soft perks but is also by far the hardest to reach.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you mean your colleague is HON, this is simply not equivalent to Ggl/Ccr or FB ultimate. Of the three, HON gets you by far the best soft perks but is also by far the hardest to reach.
She is Senator level, not HON Circle.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once I was invited by DL/AmEx to dinner in a "hot" restaurant in Minneapolis which was being taken over that evening for this event. The criteria was top DL status (125,000 status miles per year published level) and having the top DL affiliated credit card.

SQ hosts some events for their top elites in Singapore on a regular basis. I've heard of other airlines doing similar things.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Lots of carriers do this. For top tier travelers who already fly paid premium cabins, one has to look for special things to do. Similarly, many carriers use these marketing opportunities for people they believe would increase their spend if paid some attention.

At the top of the heap are the people who control large corporate spend. Even if they never fly, they are the customer.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
When I lived in Belgium SQ used to host brilliant dinners for their Gold equivalents, plus partners. The SQ Eurpean boss class did the hosting. I was also BA Gold at the time, and got sfa from them, .................
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
BA don’t know who I am.

But all I want from BA is a comfortable and safe flight, which they deliver. I don’t need greasing.
AlanA likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by T8191
BA don’t know who I am.
Wrong - they know who you are but don’t really care
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Physci
Wrong - they know who you are but don’t really care
Wrong again - they know who he is: nobody (sorry, Uncle T, nothing personal , I am nobody too)
T8191 and Physci like this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I know my place.

Our £10k+ a year is peanuts to BA, but at least we have the comfort of knowing it’s OUR money!
Jed likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
She is Senator level, not HON Circle.
Oh, then I'd say that is not equivalent either. To me, SEN is very much the equivalent of GCH, not of GGL/CCR though of course that might make your observation on differences of treatment even more noteworthy.
ams2174 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:44 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by T8191
I know my place.

Our £10k+ a year is peanuts to BA, but at least we have the comfort of knowing it’s OUR money!
There is indeed something satisfying reaping the OW Emerald benefits (on BA and even better still on other airlines) whilst spending the least possible amount of money and taking advantage of sale fares.
T8191 likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by orbitmic
And the actual FF perks aren’t great.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.