Search

Click n Save email stalking/nagging

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:09 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Click n Save email stalking/nagging

This year Southwest has begun sending emails nagging me to buy flights I had looked at while logged in. I can opt out, but that will also kill the useful Click n Save fare sale notifications.

Annoying customers this way is very un-Southwest.

I will try to remember to logout before looking at fares. Such a nuisance.
olouie and ryw like this.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I've noticed this too. So, I try to remember to search for flights in incognito without logging in whenever I can.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 2:54 pm

Very annoying. But unfortunately a common tactic these days.

Now, if they send a nag that includes a discount offer...
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I get that sort of thing on many sites.

But rarely on WN. And I am checking flights often (OCD issues when it comes to sitting at PC and thinking about travel)
Old Sep 19, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this bugs you, never ever ever browse for a hotel on Trip Advisor. You'll get price alerts for a year.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 12:42 am

You can probably create a filter in your email software. Compare the emails you don't want with the ones you want. Hopefully, there is a phrase in the "bad" ones that won't exist in the "good" ones. Any decent email application will allow you to auto-delete emails based on content phrases.

That said, I agree that this type of annoyance is rotten. Citibank sends me email I don't want on a monthly basis. They inaccurately claim it is related to my account, which is why I can't opt out. It's 100% sales stuff, however. Once I remembered I could set up a filter to auto-delete the emails, I was less annoyed with them.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
I got one yesterday as well. Too bad they don't have a method for me to tell them I booked it with another airline
nsx and RoyalFlush like this.
Old Sep 20, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ursine1
Now, if they send a nag that includes a discount offer
Hertz did that to me recently. I normally go National when renting cars, but there was a glitch which prevented me from booking at SNA the other day. I checked Hertz, saw their prices, went "FTS, I'll Uber instead" and left. For two days I was getting "Wait- what about this price, then?!" E-mails; it was kinda funny.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:51 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I find it particularly annoying when I’ve already bought a ticket but I search a flight for a possible refare, but still get the automatic email to remind me to book that flight. Not surprising that their IT doesn’t know that it’s encouraging me to try to make a double booking against their CoC!
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ursine1
Very annoying. But unfortunately a common tactic these days.

Now, if they send a nag that includes a discount offer...
Pax trawl through websites and check daily for best fares and airlines monitor what they are doing. Both are normal ways of doing business. What many appear not realize is that apart from sending you a reminder, there may well be a cookie stored on your computer that will ensure you do not see a new fare if goes down but just brings up the original.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: AZ Exec, FB PFL, OneWorld Sapphire, IHG Diamond, Accor Platinum, Avis/Hertz President
Non to mention, following a purchase, being bombarded with e-mails to buy additional products to "enhance" your experience (car rentals, hotels, airport transfers, sim cards, and so on).

U!
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:16 am

This really bothers me. My method to avoid it: I search for flights in one browser that I never log into my account from. When I see a fare that I want to buy, I switch to a different browser and purchase the ticket. It's a waste of time, but so far, it's the best method that I've come up with.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help with the "Have you booked your rental car yet" spam emails that I get after I book my tickets.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by rickg523
If this bugs you, never ever ever browse for a hotel on Trip Advisor. You'll get price alerts for a year.
Or look for or buy something on Amazon. You'll get popup ads everywhere (such as here on the forum) for pretty much forever.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:00 am

Programs: LTP, PP
My pet peeve is buying a "unique" item from a specialty merchant, like a baby stroller, then getting an almost daily email for 2+ years of specials and closeouts. Like I would need another so soon? Ironically, I will need another in a few months so watch the emails stop...
TXJeepGuy likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Oct 1, 2019 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
Or look for or buy something on Amazon. You'll get popup ads everywhere (such as here on the forum) for pretty much forever.
REI is bad about that, also, although they don't last very long.

Originally Posted by joshua362
My pet peeve is buying a "unique" item from a specialty merchant, like a baby stroller, then getting an almost daily email for 2+ years of specials and closeouts. Like I would need another so soon? Ironically, I will need another in a few months and watch the emails stop...
Yup. I bought a nice graphics card last year from the manufacturer. I keep getting ads from them. Like I really want a new graphics card this soon?!?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.