Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Crediting Korean Air operated Delta flights to Virgin Atlantic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Hi there! I apologize if this was posted somewhere else, but I only have 30 minutes till my flight departs so I am in a bit of a rush.

I am flying Korean Air from the USA to Seoul today. I booked my ticket with Delta, so my ticket number begins with 006 and my flight number is a Delta flight number. I am flying in business class J.

Can I credit this to Virgin Atlantic? From wheretocredit.com, it seems this credits 400% of miles flown?

Thanks so much for any quick help!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by mathwizard314
Hi there! I apologize if this was posted somewhere else, but I only have 30 minutes till my flight departs so I am in a bit of a rush.

I am flying Korean Air from the USA to Seoul today. I booked my ticket with Delta, so my ticket number begins with 006 and my flight number is a Delta flight number. I am flying in business class J.

Can I credit this to Virgin Atlantic? From wheretocredit.com, it seems this credits 400% of miles flown?

Thanks so much for any quick help!
Virgin Atlantic is not part of SkyTeam, nor is it partners with Korean Air separately. So, unfortunately you cannot credit your miles for this flight to VS.

This might change now that the new VS/AF/KL/DL joint venture has received preliminary approval to replace the separate AF/KL/DL and VS/DL joint ventures, but that won’t help you retroactively.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Gotcha, I was just realizing that about VS not being part of Skyteam, too. I guess I had hope since Virgin says you can earn miles on Delta flights (but it looks like only domestic Delta flights?): https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...air-lines.html

If I don't credit to Virgin, is there any other option besides Delta? When I check Wheretocredit.com, I should be looking at Delta J and not Korean J, since Delta is my marketing carrier and Korean is my metal operating carrier, right?

Thanks again for your help!
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't travel frequently, there are other issues to consider (like mileage expiration). Sky Miles don't expire, so you wouldn't have to worry about that if you credit to DL. Also, if you spreading around credit to different programs, it makes it difficult to earn status. If you do fly somewhat frequently, most find value on focusing on one program so they can earn status there. If you fly DL domestically, having status with DL would carry the most benefits.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 19, 2019 at 10:37 am
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Yep, I've got a bunch of points in a bunch of different programs. We are boarding in about 10 min. From what I can gather in old Flyertalk threads, Skyteam points are earned if both the operating and marketing carrier are Skyteam partners. Delta and Korean both are, so I think I should be OK crediting to Delta, Korean, or Air France. I am thinking Flying Blue might be my best bet.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 10:43 am

When I check Wheretocredit.com, I should be looking at Delta J and not Korean J, since Delta is my marketing carrier and Korean is my metal operating carrier, right?

Thanks again for your help!
Not exactly. Wheretocredit.com assumes flights are ticketed and operated by the same airline, and therefore doesn't capture the complexities of milage credit for codeshare tickets. By way of an example, if you were to look at wheretocredit.com for VA flights, you might mistakenly assume that a VA-marketed, QF-operated flight could be credited to Delta (it cannot).

All that to say that wheretocredit.com is not a reliable source for codeshare flights. It's also worth noting that some partnerships (especially non-alliance partnerships) have route-specific restrictions for milage credit.
Old Sep 19, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...........I guess I had hope since Virgin says you can earn miles on Delta flights (but it looks like only domestic Delta flights?): https://www.virginatlantic.com/us/en...air-lines.html.........
You can earn on all DL flights, domestic and international.

As a Flying Club member you can earn on all Delta operated and marketed services including the flights operated by Delta regional services; Delta, Delta Shuttle, Delta regional services (Delta Connection)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.