Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Round trip award ticket: skip last leg on outbound - any problems for return?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb

I have a round trip ticket booked with award miles for my son OMA-MSP-RST; RST-MSP-OMA. Because of Delta schedule change he has been moved 10 hours later (from am to pm) and will sit for 3.5 hours at MSP before the final leg arriving in RST at 11:30 pm. It is an hour drive for us. So what if we drove up and picked him up at MSP and he skips the last leg and we get him home almost 4 hours earlier? Carry-on only.

Will the fact that this is a round trip ticket affect/cancel the return trip?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I have a round trip ticket booked with award miles for my son OMA-MSP-RST; RST-MSP-OMA. Because of Delta schedule change he has been moved 10 hours later (from am to pm) and will sit for 3.5 hours at MSP before the final leg arriving in RST at 11:30 pm. It is an hour drive for us. So what if we drove up and picked him up at MSP and he skips the last leg and we get him home almost 4 hours earlier? Carry-on only.

Will the fact that this is a round trip ticket affect/cancel the return trip?
Generally speaking, the ONLY leg you can skip is the very last leg of the entire trip itinerary.

In your scenario (if I'm reading it correctly), Delta would cancel the rest of the roundtrip ticket, RST to MSP and MSP to OMA.

As a side note, if there is a flight change >1 hr on after a customer books the flight(s), Delta waives all change fees. You can pick new flights at no cost to you (assuming no fare difference I believe).
Spiff likes this.

Last edited by Jeremy3292; Aug 20, 2019 at 3:34 pm Reason: adding
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Yes, the return trip will be cancelled, without compensation.

If you call Delta, they will allow you to rebook the flights to a better time (if one is available) they'll likely even allow your son to travel one day earlier or later if that helps. They will also let you cancel for a full refund without penalty
Spiff likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You could also ask them to rewrite the ticket as open jaw, deleting the segment you don't want. I'm not sure whether they would charge you a fare difference in this case, but there shouldn't be a change fee for such a big schedule change.
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Just call Delta, period.
gooselee and ijgordon like this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Jeremy3292
As a side note, if there is a flight change >1 hr on after a customer books the flight(s), Delta waives all change fees. You can pick new flights at no cost to you (assuming no fare difference I believe).
The fare difference doesn't matter - they will rebook you on anything reasonable and waive the change fee and all fare difference one time.

OP - definitely do not have your son just skip the first segment - the entire return will be cancelled. You can either find an itinerary with a shorter connection time that day that works for you, or you can ask them to delete MSP-RST on the outbound but keep the return in tact. Either as possible, as long as you notify them before travel commences on the outbound.
Jeremy3292 likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:17 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Thanks for the advice. I perhaps did not communicate clearly. The schedule change was earlier into the day (7:30 a original dep) and he couldn't get a ride (one hour earlier) and so they moved him (with some cajoling - they were going to charge a 150 redeposit fee and more mileage) to a 5:30 dep but that has a 3.5 layover in MSP. I will call and try to ask for them to drop the MSP-RST segment turning it into an open jaw. But, worst case scenario, I guess we will have him fly it so the return isn't canceled.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Thanks for the advice. I perhaps did not communicate clearly. The schedule change was earlier into the day (7:30 a original dep) and he couldn't get a ride (one hour earlier) and so they moved him (with some cajoling - they were going to charge a 150 redeposit fee and more mileage) to a 5:30 dep but that has a 3.5 layover in MSP. I will call and try to ask for them to drop the MSP-RST segment turning it into an open jaw. But, worst case scenario, I guess we will have him fly it so the return isn't canceled.
This changes things. If the fare wasn't a roundtrip fare and was constructed as two one ways, they could possibly split them up into separate records. Possibly.

That way, the outbound is on a separate PNR so the MSP-RST is the only thing left for it to auto cancel. Or just have him fly it.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
apparently DL has already changed the original booking once, so they’re unlikely to offer a second free change
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:37 pm

Usually better to book two separate one ways if the cost in miles is the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.