Wiki Posts
Search

BA245 [LHR-EZE] is “Night Stopped”

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
BA245 [LHR-EZE] is “Night Stopped”

Im in the lounge and they’ve just made announcements that the BA245 is “night stopped” and passengers need to go to guest services to collect procedures for obtaining their luggage.

Is “night stopped” corporate speak for cancelled?
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:18 pm

It means it’s delayed overnight. You’ll get a new departure time before you leave the airport.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:23 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For the benefit of the few remaining FTers who have so far failed to memorise the entire timetable, this is the late departing LHR-EZE (Buenos Aires) service, which normally departs at 22:25, and now down to depart tomorrow, Monday, at 21:25, presumably at BA9245.

But to answer your question, no, it's not cancelled in that the service will run, there will be two services tomorrow. A cancelled flight would result in just one service tomorrow. What it means is that they are probably short of either an aircraft or crew, and the timings on that service are fairly delicate, it 's easy to end up out of hours. So they just cannot run the flight today and it's being postponed to a point where crew and aircraft can be assured. Hopefully the earlier in the morning arrival will head off the not-so-good passport queues at EZE.
BearX220, flygirl68, Hoch and 8 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver
It is pretty stupid use of jargon, though. No real reason for not saying “delayed until tomorrow” other than a misplaced sense of trying to sound important and knowledgeable.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by expataus
Im in the lounge and they’ve just made announcements that the BA245 is “night stopped” and passengers need to go to guest services to collect procedures for obtaining their luggage.

Is “night stopped” corporate speak for cancelled?
Sorry to hear that. They booking you a nice hotel for the night with some food vouchers?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, LY, QF, UA, HH
Thanks for fixing the title.

Still no mention of why they’re not flying tonight and all the sign boards at the airport and in the app seem to still think we’re, “on time.”
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by expataus
Thanks for fixing the title.

Still no mention of why they’re not flying tonight and all the sign boards at the airport and in the app seem to still think we’re, “on time.”
Well, BA has advised you directly. Ask for hotel & meal vouchers and head to your hotel or, even better, hope that BA leaves it to you, allowing you to select where you stay and then submit for reimbursement.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For the benefit of the few remaining FTers who have so far failed to memorise the entire timetable, this is the late departing LHR-EZE (Buenos Aires) service
Now this is another easy one - it just relies on knowing the day the Falklands War started (2nd April), and the month that the Belgrano sank (May). Thus 02-4 5.

I'm surprised that BA didn't cause a diplomatic incident by choosing such an obvious flight number...
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If it's any conciliation tomorrow's a national holiday with not a lot open so you won't miss much....and it's ruddy freezing.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Originally Posted by Deltus
Now this is another easy one - it just relies on knowing the day the Falklands War started (2nd April), and the month that the Belgrano sank (May). Thus 02-4 5.

I'm surprised that BA didn't cause a diplomatic incident by choosing such an obvious flight number...
I'd say it's purely coincidental, as the other South America flights are the 247/249/251. Don't think anyone thought of what you said before!!
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass

Are you a cryptic crossword fan too?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond

This is fantastic. Well done!
Deltus likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:34 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
It is pretty stupid use of jargon, though. No real reason for not saying “delayed until tomorrow” other than a misplaced sense of trying to sound important and knowledgeable.
At a previous employer (not an airline) it was common policy to avoid words with a direct negative connotation, and find alternate ways of expressing things. For example, on a durability test, instead of "Test Passed" vs "Test/Component/Thing Failed" you'd log it as "Test Ran to Completion" or "Test Ran to Removal." The latter being short for something like "Test ran to removal of Thing X from the test rig because it blew itself apart." It gets the point across without using a word like "failed" "exploded" or whatever.

In that specific case I think it was corporate / legal's policy in the event of litigation and if internal records got subpoenaed. "Night stopped" seems like a similar play though. Avoid a negative word like delayed, and say "Oh no no, just having a little night stop, that's all" instead.

That'd be my guess anyway.
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jerseytom
At a previous employer (not an airline) it was common policy to avoid words with a direct negative connotation, and find alternate ways of expressing things. For example, on a durability test, instead of "Test Passed" vs "Test/Component/Thing Failed" you'd log it as "Test Ran to Completion" or "Test Ran to Removal." The latter being short for something like "Test ran to removal of Thing X from the test rig because it blew itself apart." It gets the point across without using a word like "failed" "exploded" or whatever.

In that specific case I think it was corporate / legal's policy in the event of litigation and if internal records got subpoenaed. "Night stopped" seems like a similar play though. Avoid a negative word like delayed, and say "Oh no no, just having a little night stop, that's all" instead.

That'd be my guess anyway.
Indeed, in a manufacturing company I worked for, we were not allowed to record things as ‘problems’ for risk of being construed as non compliant. Instead, the term ‘concern’ was used!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
"Night stopped" = "I Can't Believe It's Not Cancelled!"

When the Emirates 777 crashed in Dubai a couple of years back, the airline kept putting out press statements referring to a "landing incident." It takes balls to try and pass off a smoking hole in the ground as an "incident."
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.