Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Most Miles for Fewest Dollars to Maintain SE Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Most Miles for Fewest Dollars to Maintain SE Status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond/ Altitude SE100K/ SPG Platinum/ Marriott Platinum
Question Most Miles for Fewest Dollars to Maintain SE Status

I am guessing this has been asked but looking though 25 pages of topics I couldn't find it. I have determined I am going to be about 10-12K miles short of SE this year. So I am wondering what routes typically have the best mile to dollar ratio? I figured if I could track the best routes I could grab one on a seat sale. I'm pretty flexible on when I can go between now and end of year. Any advice would be appreciated. This will be my 3rd year of SE but the first one I had to push to get.

On a separate note how do I tell what Altitude miles I will get for flying *A flights? I have a BNE-AKL-SYD flight later this year on Air NZ that is about 2800 miles without any bonuses. I haven't added that in yet as I wasn't sure what I would received for it.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:02 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
So I am wondering what routes typically have the best mile to dollar ratio? I figured if I could track the best routes I could grab one on a seat sale. I'm pretty flexible on when I can go between now and end of year. Any advice would be appreciated.
I would suggest either just watching or posting your request to this thread:

UA/Star Alliance: 2019 Consolidated Mileage/Status/Challenge Runs help needed
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Last year YYC-PTY was a good deal on UA stock in P. Around 1k for 10,000aqm.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Look for cheap UA P fares. HNL, LIM, basically anywhere in the Caribbean.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
YVR-TPE round-trip in PY is often pretty cheap and is about 15k AQM.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by dcmic
On a separate note how do I tell what Altitude miles I will get for flying *A flights? I have a BNE-AKL-SYD flight later this year on Air NZ that is about 2800 miles without any bonuses. I haven't added that in yet as I wasn't sure what I would received for it.
On aeroplan.com you can check the mileage charts for various *A partners. It's all based on fare class.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by dcmic
I am guessing this has been asked but looking though 25 pages of topics I couldn't find it. I have determined I am going to be about 10-12K miles short of SE this year. So I am wondering what routes typically have the best mile to dollar ratio? I figured if I could track the best routes I could grab one on a seat sale. I'm pretty flexible on when I can go between now and end of year. Any advice would be appreciated. This will be my 3rd year of SE but the first one I had to push to get.

@dcmic

As you may know, towards the end of each year, there is a "frantic" rush for people to get missing AQM/AQD for whatever status level they want to achieve and so a few post the usual threads like "I'm short 10,000 AQM for SE" kind of thing.

Lots of others post examples of trips or routes.

It is really up to you to decide how much you want to spend to achieve the AQM and most of us have our own methods of looking for and calculating costs. We also all have different way of tracking our current AQM, AQD, total spend and so on.

A simple .xls will do the math for you if you are wiling to plug in the mileage values. Even if you only use numbers from routes you've already flown, or you pick routes and use the approximate numbers from Great Circle Mapper it's pretty easy to find value that meets your criteria.

Everyone has a different CPM threshold. If OPM pays for most of your trips and you are looking to spend your own money for the missing amount, then your budget/spend might be different.

Anyway, you might want to pick a few routes and see where they take you. As noted, TPE can be very efficient in PE, sometimes in J when the price is right. Same can be true of other Asian routes.

YYZ-YVR-TPE nets 20,070 AQM if in PE, 24,084 if in J

Also, we may all use different sources for fares.

I created a simple example of letting XL do some work for you while you can add the routes that might interest you.

If you don't want to do the exercise and just want someone to tell you which route gives you the best cost efficiency (CPM), well, you already have that answer.

Random route, random fare
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:15 pm

I think I once did it for about $3000.

Just need those YYZ-YVR-SYD-YVR-HKG-YVR--SYD-YVR-YYZ tickets
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
You can do Air China from YUL-PEK in J for around $2500..
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
There are many options, just have to find the right flights and sale!

PY (125%) YYC-YEG-YVR-TPE-YVR-YEG-YYC Total Altitude Miles 16,758 Actual Cost of Flights $1,520.76 AC AQD $1,442.00 Actual Cost Per Mile $0.09 AC AQD Cost Per Mile $0.09
PY (125%) YYC-YVR-YYZ-DXB-YYZ-YVR-YYC Total Altitude Miles 23,474 Actual Cost of Flights $1,911.92 AC AQD $1,799.99 Actual Cost Per Mile $0.08 AC AQD Cost Per Mile $0.08
Bohemian1 and Santander like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 11:58 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Take a look at some of the flight passes - depending on where you are based out of there might be some options. There is one North American one that I use occasionally that has an interesting routing from my home airport. Flight is usually a red-eye but gets me down to around $0.07/mile. Best of all I can defer flight until next year it looks like I’ll have enough in the current year (although already made SE for 2020 so not doing any of it this year).
Dolphin2 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about FRA-SYD or LHR-SYD?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Fra-syd looks like 40k miles for 6k CAD all J. Not a bad fare. 14 cpm

Last edited by Nitehawk; Jul 18, 2019 at 1:25 pm Reason: CPM wrong
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Fra-syd looks like 40k miles for 6k CAD all J. Not a bad fare. 14 cpm
Don't forget the positioning
Old Jul 18, 2019, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Don't forget the positioning
For those of us who fly to Europe multiple times per year that's a non-issue. Especially if there is a reason to go to Australia. :-)
Bohemian1 and canadiancow like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.