Wiki Posts
Search

Flight duration differences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold
Flight duration differences

Probably a really boring/insignificant question, but..
Looking at the LHR-GVA schedules the flight durations are:

13:10 1hour 35m
14:00 1 hour40m
15:00 1 hour 45m
16:35 1 hour 40m

All the same A320 all the same distance? so why the small flying time difference?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
It will be because of anticipated congestion at departure and/or arrival airports.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: BA Gold
2pm onwards is probably considered the chairmans flight... more people will have had a big lunch, plane weighs more... takes longer...
Tobias-UK, Shingi, squawk and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ironmouse
Probably a really boring/insignificant question, but..
Looking at the LHR-GVA schedules the flight durations are:

13:10 1hour 35m
14:00 1 hour40m
15:00 1 hour 45m
16:35 1 hour 40m

All the same A320 all the same distance? so why the small flying time difference?
Slow day at work?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Flight times from GLA into heathrow vary from 1hr 35 to 1hr 15
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:47 am

Flight times from GLA into heathrow vary from 1hr 35 to 1hr 15
Its probably due to the variation in anticipated time spent waiting for a gate or in the queue for the runway.

Back in the days of Trident and the Shuttle, the scheduled time was almost always 70 minutes, but Captain Speaking usually announced as we left the gate "Our flight time today will be 60 minutes" and we were actually in the air for 50 minutes.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Carriers, BA included, estimate the block time for flights based on averages. On short-haul flights, ground time on departure and arrival takes a disproportionate percentage of that block time. Thus, the varying scheduled arrivals.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
On a related/not-related note, I always wondered if it had something to do with airport slots too. There's always talk about buying slots at, say, Heathrow but surely there's a corresponding slot at the destination airport too and maybe that plays into the varying block times?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by fluffymitten
On a related/not-related note, I always wondered if it had something to do with airport slots too. There's always talk about buying slots at, say, Heathrow but surely there's a corresponding slot at the destination airport too and maybe that plays into the varying block times?
I had always assumed that this was the case too, it will be interesting to hear if this is indeed true.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:41 am

Taxi-ing time can vary greatly also.. they could be clever in take in to account something to do with that at LHR perhaps, including planned runway alternation but I doubt they are that clever
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
it is padding to allow for delays, especially in and out of LHR

most airlines do it, not just FR!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Head wind ?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
Head wind ?
And what happens if the wind is late?
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by john205
Taxi-ing time can vary greatly also.. they could be clever in take in to account something to do with that at LHR perhaps, including planned runway alternation but I doubt they are that clever
Actually, all our departures use the expected taxi time and runway into account. Historical data in aanalyzed for every route to predict the fuel required for the coming period.

As you can imagine small over, or under, estimates of fuel can, over a long period, cost small fortunes in money spent to no point or last minute purchase of additional fuel. We also look at opportunities to reduce fuel cost by "tankering" ie carrying fuel for the return leg if the fuel is cheaper at base. To do all this we look at historic fuel burn and sector length, including statistical holding and taxi times.

Sector lengths vary with time if day and time of year, but must be married to slot pairs so may vary just to fit - it is both science and art, but it is important to get right .
Tobias-UK and rossmacd like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.