Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

One World status denied when not direct booking with BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:22 am
Original Poster

I booked a BA ticket with Priceline, for travel tomorrow. It's a "normal" coach ticket, as far as I can tell (S bucket, and wasn't particularly cheap).

When I went to online check-in I was unable to add my AAdvantage number (which I certainly want to for Lounge access, bags, etc). The website errors out when I do that. I called BA and was told that "Well, you didn't book the flight with British airlines so you don't get to use your AAdvantage account".

I've never heard of this before. I plan to call back, but I'm curious if any other FTers have had similar issues, or ever heard of this before.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Absolute claptrap. Call back and get them to sort it out, and perhaps mention the original call once it’s done so they can get the first agent retrained.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
One way to remove and add frequent flyer numbers is to look at your booking on the finnair MMB and do it there.

Alternatively you can ask them to do it at the check in desk.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
What’s the route and flight number? And is it a BA operated flight or a codeshare?
Old Apr 24, 2019, 1:12 am
Original Poster

It's a BA operated flight on SJC LHR tomorrow. The finnair site worked great and updated my aadvantage number on the first try. Thanks!

Last edited by WhIteSidE; Apr 24, 2019 at 1:21 am Reason: Add outcome of using finnair site.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by WhIteSidE
I I called BA and was told that "Well, you didn't book the flight with British airlines so you don't get to use your AAdvantage account".
A classic, "I don't know the solution and can't be bothered to find out so I'm just going to guess/make up a reason and hope you go away"
Old Apr 25, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Another BA call centre classic. Perhaps the agent used to work for IHG or Hilton?
fluffymitten and nshep like this.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Just a quick update on all of this (albeit a couple weeks late). The Finnair website route is absolute genius, and many thanks to the excellent FTers who suggested it. Unsurprisingly, when I actually got to the airport, the BA staff were friendly and helpful with seats, and even blocked a middle for me ($975 to buy up to J for a short westbound on a 787 just didn't do it for me).

As for the phone agents, I have noticed BAs phone agents seem a particularly mixed bag, in comparison to their airport agents whom I usually find very knowledgeable and helpful.
Old May 12, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Finnair website I always a good way to refresh status changes too

ie booked when silver but now gold and your booking isn’t picking up the gold perks etc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.