Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Only juice and water in business class PDB at Sydney...?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:41 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

sorry if this is a repeat question...just want to know if I was lied to just now.

Sitting on BA 16 in SYD. Only juice or water offered as pdb: no sparkling, no anything other than juice or water.

FA blames Sydney airport policy. This sounds very wrong to me as Qantas offered sparkling wine in business class on a domestic Australia flight SyD-MEL.

Just curious and thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Not sure whether this is the norm for SYD flights, but likely the ‘airport regulations’ part is synonymous with BA being too cheap to pay duty on what is served on the ground
orbitmic, wrp96, Calchas and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Not sure whether this is the norm for SYD flights, but likely the ‘airport regulations’ part is synonymous with BA being too cheap to pay duty on what is served on the ground
indeed. Unless this is a very recent change, I’ve had champagne offered on the ground at SYD on numerous other airlines (though I usually take the water precisely!)
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:59 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Update: even before I could make a stink on Twitter the FA came back and said although he couldn’t open the proper bottle he grabbed a couple of minis from coach for us to enjoy at the gate.

Alls well that ends well...for us. My wife made the point that others in the business class were staring enviously.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sorry that all sounds wrong!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Update: even before I could make a stink on Twitter the FA came back and said although he couldn’t open the proper bottle he grabbed a couple of minis from coach for us to enjoy at the gate.

Alls well that ends well...for us. My wife made the point that others in the business class were staring enviously.
so much for the WT+ pax from whose drink contingent this was taken and who won’t get it...

I actually don’t think this has been handled very well by the crew.
wrp96, nancypants and Unionruler like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by orbitmic

indeed. Unless this is a very recent change, I’ve had champagne offered on the ground at SYD on numerous other airlines (though I usually take the water precisely!)
Pretty sure we are offered champagne whilst on the ground.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 12:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I'm aware lounges in Australia have rules surrounding early alcohol consumption. My first instinct was something to do with this, but seems othesbhave said they have had it before.

My next thought was if this is to do with Easter? Are there any additional rules?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: BA Silver
Had champagne PDB as normal on BA 16 at SYD just a couple of weeks ago.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by madfish
I'm aware lounges in Australia have rules surrounding early alcohol consumption. My first instinct was something to do with this, but seems othesbhave said they have had it before.

My next thought was if this is to do with Easter? Are there any additional rules?
What’s Easter got to do with being served champagne as PDB?
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
I had champagne PDB on departure from SYD with BA a few weeks ago - crew were proactively offering top ups also.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carrotjuice

What’s Easter got to do with being served champagne as PDB?
Easter as a religious event often brings additional rules. For example larger stores in the UK are closed on Easter Sunday. I heard yesterday from a friend who claimed that bars may not be open in Dublin on Easter Sunday (unconfirmed). Therefore, it is conceivable that there may be rules in Australia around serving any alcohol (including PDB) around the Easter holiday.

It's a possible theory. Happy for it to be debunked.

Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

And a quick search shows there are some additional regulations on Good Friday. Maybe this does impact PDB on flights on this date.

https://www.finder.com.au/buy-alcohol-on-good-friday
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by madfish
I'm aware lounges in Australia have rules surrounding early alcohol consumption.
This only applies to domestic lounges. No restriction on (separate) Intl lounges at all. I'd be horrified, otherwise.
lhrpete, orbitmic, Revenge and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Maybe the “Duty Paid” stuff wasn’t loaded, or used up at LHR or SIN on the way?

I have had the crew run out of Duty-Paid Champagne in SIN on the BA15. As soon as the seatbelt sign went off the hugely embarrassed crew brought me a very large glass indeed.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.