Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA trialling new Avios pricing – NO taxes but more Avios

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold

Did not see this posted already (apologies if I missed it) but interesting article: british-airways-trialling-new-avios-pricing-no-taxes/

In short, paying reward flights / redemptions with more Avios to reduce the amount on taxes. Interesting as could be the first step towards ‘"Dynamic" pricing in that BA scraps the reward charts and just charges a random amount of Avios based on prevailing cash prices.

Hopefully will not lead to this as I like the reward charts and know what to pay to go where but could be a sign of things to come.

Last edited by ens100; Apr 18, 2019 at 1:27 am
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ens100
Interesting as could be the first step towards ‘"Dynamic" pricing in that BA scraps the reward charts and just charges a random amount of Avios based on prevailing cash prices.
That's an interesting change. I'm not sure they'll scrap the reward charts though as I'd expect that there are a lot of people that use that as a target, i.e. I want to fly to XXX, I need YYY more Avios to make that happen.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
I hope that doesn't happen. The whole point of RFS is to avoid the dynamic pricing madness.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:56 am

This is good news IMO -- it's an option for Avios-rich travelers that other travelers can choose to ignore.

I don't really see the connection between this and dynamic redemption pricing. This looks more like an extension of "part pay with Avios" to the tax/fee element of a redemption. The advantages/disadvantages of dynamic pricing have been (and will be) debated ad nauseum, but this isn't it. No need to get excited just yet!
KeaneJohn and email2markt like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Isn't the big issue carrier imposed fees such as fuel surcharges and not so much actual taxes paid to the government?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by hearingdouble
This is good news IMO
Hate to sound pessimistic, but to be honest, when it comes to changes to FFP structure, nothing is ever good news...
glennhaak, tynmar, etiene and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It's not reducing anything. You can just use avios to pay for them.

VS has allowed people to do this for a couple of years if you use the 'miles plus money' option. Something like £20 for 3k miles.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
I think that when a lot of people outside FT look at reward flights and find the taxes equivalent, or more, than a cash fare on the same route they equate their Avios as having no value. Which makes them less likely to be loyal to BA/IAG/oneWorld, defeating the purpose.

I think regular flyers, maybe with the Blue BA Amex would be quite happy with this option. As would less frequent flyers with small, or orphan, Avios balances.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by benjai
I hope that doesn't happen. The whole point of RFS is to avoid the dynamic pricing madness.
Actually, the whole point of RFS is so that people actually spend Avios on short-haul. Otherwise the taxes and "surcharges" overwhelm the value proposition and you're better off paying cash. (i.e. Miles & More)
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I assume this is just the surcharges, rather than taxes proper...? Regardless, it will be at a rubbish rate of exchange. Not bad to have the option for the Avios rich - probably not a good bet for those who are eking out the Avios to that one dream trip.

A rewriting of the award chart with the elimination of carrier surcharges might be more consumer friendly - though we'd risk losing the regular visits from our American friends whinging about the "BA fee" [while they miss the fact that that is what keeps availability reasonable on BA when they can't find anything on AA]...
Old Apr 18, 2019, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This might suit those who earn lots of Avios through work travel but grudge having to use their own cash to pay the taxes when redeeming for holiday flights.
etiene and gerilege like this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Might this need IT to make it work?

Say no more.............
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not helpful to refer to carrier surcharges as taxes. They not the same. While both may currently involve a cash outlay, they are simply a form of miles + cash, thinly disguised. Taxes are, of course, imposed by various taxing authorities and are not a competetive issue as they are by and large the same across all carriers.
etiene likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:39 am
formerly smoaky

So what are they going to charge you 60k avios extra instead of $600 fuel surcharge?
george77300 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No more fuel surcharges.

Plain and simple "carrier fees." How BA works out the pricing is really no different than how it charges for tickets. In fact, if BA wants to push people to pay fees in avios, it could lower the avios price. Or the reverse and raise that price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.