Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Misconnect international flight overnight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:23 pm
mr8
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold

My parents missed their INTL AA flight due to a mechanical delay on their domestic AA flight and have to overnight in DFW for the next flight. AA provided them with a hotel voucher, but can they request some vouchers for food or chose their own food/accommodation and get reimbursed? Anything else they need to do? They don't have any status on AA, and I believe they did have some checked baggage as well.
GoodFastOrCheap likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:49 pm

They can ask for food vouchers, but they probably won't cover much. The limits tend to be fairly low.
Do your parents have travel insurance? They may be able to submit expenses that aren't covered by AA there.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Certain credit cards provide reimbursement for food and lodging resulting from misconnects that cause a forced overnight. How did the travelers pay for their tickets?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If your parents are coming from the EU, then EC 261/2004 requires aa to provide a duty of care which would include meals. Getting those reimbursed will be fairly easy. If not the EU, then AA still owes them something reasonable, but it can be tougher. Best of all is travel insurance which typically provides a fixed sum for a delay overnight and that can be quite generous.
rosege and FA mom like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:41 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Often1
If your parents are coming from the EU, then EC 261/2004 requires aa to provide a duty of care which would include meals. .
Sounds like they originated in US and stayed overnight in DFW due to maintenance and had to wait til next day for Intl.flight. It's not clear where the intl. destination is, either. In fact, that part is irrelevant since it's no different than missing last flight of day due to MX and being re-booked to next day.

Absent any trip insurance, the passengers would have to accept the AA hotel if they don't want to pay for their own. Sometimes this can be very convenient, like at the airport, or other times it could be a 30 minute ride. They should have provided some food vouchers, no matter how scant.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by mr8
My parents missed their INTL AA flight due to a mechanical delay on their domestic AA flight and have to overnight in DFW for the next flight. AA provided them with a hotel voucher, but can they request some vouchers for food or chose their own food/accommodation and get reimbursed? Anything else they need to do? They don't have any status on AA, and I believe they did have some checked baggage as well.
They should request the food vouchers from the same location they received the hotel voucher.
In the future, I would recommend asking which hotel they are giving the voucher for, BEFORE accepting the voucher.
If I didn't like the hotel they were choosing, I would book my own and request compensation later for the hotel. While you might not get full compensation for the hotel you do chose, you should get something back from AA.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
If not the EU, then AA still owes them something reasonable, but it can be tougher.
I believe, per the CoC the only thing they "owe" them is a hotel, if AA has them available. Beyond that anything else AA gives them is a CS gesture.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:22 am

Programs: Enough
Most answers here are incorrect. AA is liable for any reasonable costs incurred pursuant to Article 19 of the Montreal Convention as the travel is international in nature. Their liability cap is aprox. $6537 USD.

Preserve all receipts, buy things that you need as a result of the delay, and claim for lost hotels, value of vacation time, wages, etc.
AA100k and not2017 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:48 pm

While I think AA is likely to provide meal coupons if asked, and should have to, the Montreal Convention does not clearly require it.

"Article 19 of the Montreal Convention provides that a carrier can be liable for damages to passengers caused by delay in transportation. However, Article 19 further provides that, the "carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures." "All measures" has not been interpreted to mean an airline must do everything in its power to avoid delay, only what is reasonable. The carrier need only show that it took "all precautions that in sum are appropriate to the risk, i.e. measures reasonably available to defendant and reasonably calculated, in cumulation, to prevent the subject loss. ... Courts have found that airlines behaved reasonably in delay situations caused by increased security measures, mechanical failures, and weather disruptions."

Damages For Delay Of International Flights Under Article 19 Of The Montreal Convention - Transport - United States
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I'm surprised they didn't get anything. When I've received hotel vouchers from other airlines (DL, UA) due to mechanical or bump, they have always explicitly included meals at the hotel. AA must have a specific policy for this situation, so it'd be interesting to know if it's worse than other carriers, or just wasn't followed in this case.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Kremmen
I'm surprised they didn't get anything. When I've received hotel vouchers from other airlines (DL, UA) due to mechanical or bump, they have always explicitly included meals at the hotel. AA must have a specific policy for this situation, so it'd be interesting to know if it's worse than other carriers, or just wasn't followed in this case.
When I've taken a VB I've gotten them. Usually if there's an AC I just hand them off to some pax that might need them-like a family.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Neither the Contract of Carriage nor Customer Commitment references food vouchers where AA is at fault for extended delay. (I've received food vouchers on Delta, too.)
Old Mar 28, 2019, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by seattlebruce
While I think AA is likely to provide meal coupons if asked, and should have to, the Montreal Convention does not clearly require it.

"Article 19 of the Montreal Convention provides that a carrier can be liable for damages to passengers caused by delay in transportation. However, Article 19 further provides that, the "carrier shall not be liable for damage occasioned by delay if it proves that it and its servants and agents took all measures that could reasonably be required to avoid the damage or that it was impossible for it or them to take such measures." "All measures" has not been interpreted to mean an airline must do everything in its power to avoid delay, only what is reasonable. The carrier need only show that it took "all precautions that in sum are appropriate to the risk, i.e. measures reasonably available to defendant and reasonably calculated, in cumulation, to prevent the subject loss. ... Courts have found that airlines behaved reasonably in delay situations caused by increased security measures, mechanical failures, and weather disruptions."

Damages For Delay Of International Flights Under Article 19 Of The Montreal Convention - Transport - United States
The caselaw for MC provides that any actual receipts provided that aren't excessive should be compensated. So even without food vouchers, if you were like I had to order room service bc I don't have a car and nothing is in walking distance -- reimbursed. If you had to go to Morton's when there was a Wendy's next door, probably not reimbursed. Food is most definitely covered.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:25 pm

What's the escalation steps with American because my son faced a similar situation?
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ncarmine
What's the escalation steps with American because my son faced a similar situation?
The best way to do this is to first ask them while they are giving you hotel vouchers
If it doesn't happen then, contact Customer Service
If that doesn't work, you can go to small claims.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.