Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Problems booking rooms with two beds under new Marriott system

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems booking rooms with two beds under new Marriott system

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 50K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Problems booking rooms with two beds with points under new Marriott system

Has anyone else had trouble booking rooms with two beds using points since all bookings transferred to the Marriott website? With Starwood, I could always pick whether I wanted a king bed, or 2 queens/doubles. This is no longer an option. I also used to be able to book suites with my points, and preferred views, and balconies. I just had to pay extra points. Now - under the new system, these options are no longer available. Some (like the two beds) I cannot get at all. Others, like suites and views, they seem to offer only as a 'cash and points' option. I am very disappointed with this downgrade in service.

When I called the concierge line to try to book my room manually - I was told it was 'more fair' to have this new system. I don't see how fairness has anything to do with it. I feel like I am being told by Marriott that unless I am travelling with a partner with whom I will share a bed, they don't want my business.
friscotrvlr likes this.

Last edited by 3bsm; Mar 25, 2019 at 5:16 pm Reason: not clear - problem was with points bookings
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This and the (literally) dozens of other "problems with Bonvoy" threads on FT alone, have convinced me that Marriott is currently a shambles, an utterly unreliable travel partner, and whether they want my business or not, is unworthy of and will not receive it.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 3bsm
Has anyone else had trouble booking rooms with two beds since all bookings transferred to the Marriott website? With Starwood, I could always pick whether I wanted a king bed, or 2 queens/doubles. This is no longer an option. I also used to be able to book suites with my points, and preferred views, and balconies. I just had to pay extra points. Now - under the new system, these options are no longer available. Some (like the two beds) I cannot get at all. Others, like suites and views, they seem to offer only as a 'cash and points' option. I am very disappointed with this downgrade in service.

When I called the concierge line to try to book my room manually - I was told it was 'more fair' to have this new system. I don't see how fairness has anything to do with it. I feel like I am being told by Marriott that unless I am travelling with a partner with whom I will share a bed, they don't want my business.
CSRs, along with most other staff, seem to like making up reasons for the failures. Saying it is "more fair" to not allow you to choose the bedding is ridiculous and they should be called on it. Going this direction, I expect we will start getting calls saying we have a room booked in some city somewhere and we need to make travel plans to get there!
3bsm, nancypants and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by 3bsm
Has anyone else had trouble booking rooms with two beds since all bookings transferred to the Marriott website? With Starwood, I could always pick whether I wanted a king bed, or 2 queens/doubles. This is no longer an option. I also used to be able to book suites with my points, and preferred views, and balconies. I just had to pay extra points. Now - under the new system, these options are no longer available. Some (like the two beds) I cannot get at all. Others, like suites and views, they seem to offer only as a 'cash and points' option. I am very disappointed with this downgrade in service.

i think it property specific. I don’t ever recall being able to book upgraded rooms on points on SPG.com (needed to call in) and with Marriott, you can still book upgraded awards for some properties, such as JW Singapore that comes to mind. Also with Marriott, you can select your (guaranteed elite bedding) towards end of booking or after booking where as SPG it was not guaranteed (if the room type selected has that bedding type).
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks

i think it property specific. I don’t ever recall being able to book upgraded rooms on points on SPG.com (needed to call in) and with Marriott, you can still book upgraded awards for some properties, such as JW Singapore that comes to mind. Also with Marriott, you can select your (guaranteed elite bedding) towards end of booking or after booking where as SPG it was not guaranteed (if the room type selected has that bedding type).
Yes - you had to call in - but you could do it. It has not been possible at all on any of my recent attempts. I tried several properties in NYC; Toronto; the Swan & Dolphin at WDW; Miami; on several recent planning sessions for upcoming trips and could not do it at all. I was told that I should book my king bed and hope for an upgrade. That is not sufficient for me. If I am travelling with my sister - we need two beds. Not a hope and a prayer that an upgrade may come through to a suite with a pullout couch.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 4:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
It's property-specific.

Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

You can still do it with cash - my problem is that you cannot book two beds with points.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:15 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by myperks

Isn’t the bed guarantee now bizarrely dependent on what continent you’re staying in?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm now seeing more and more properties offering generically bedded rooms ("1 King or 1 Queen or 2 Double Beds") which I'm sure is an attempt to evade the guaranty.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:29 pm

I found 2 beds in my first check.... but I searched for availability for 4 adults. Not sure what city, I tried NYC for mid April. Once I found it, I modified for just 2 with no problem.

So... maybe just location/hotel specific.

Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm now seeing more and more properties offering generically bedded rooms ("1 King or 1 Queen or 2 Double Beds") which I'm sure is an attempt to evade the guaranty.
i rather see this because once you book this room, you can select one of the three bedding type and it’ll come up as guaranteed for elites. I hate seeing (mostly in Europe) where the room type only shows queen and of course the bedding preference won’t show another type you can choose because that’s the only one available in that room category.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:01 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Just checked the T&C’s - Guaranteed room type (incl. beds) not available for a list of brands including most notably St Regis, Ritz Carlton or Edition hotels or outside any brand of US, Canada or Europe unless you are Titanium or Ambassador.

So you’re fine if you just stay in the Four Points Des Moines, but if you travel or stay in luxury hotels technically the programme is not going to do much for you.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I was looking to book a hotel in Kauai on points and even after putting in 4 people, I was still only given the option of a king bed. With no sofa bed, I can see how a king room could fit 3 people if you include a rollaway, but not sure how they think 4 people would manage....odd.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:10 pm

Just had a stay at the Waikiki Beach Marriott with 2 rooms each with a King bed booked. When chat was available on the app around 2-3 days before I stayed, I requested 2 twins for each room and was approved a few hours later. For some reason when I attempted to switch it on the room type to 2 twins, it wouldn't save.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.