Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA99 (MEL-LAX) - Forced to Divert to Noumea, New Caledonia -- 25 March 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority

https://www.smh.com.au/national/smel...25-p517h8.html
obviously a file photo in the report.
onward flight to LAX cancelled
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It's all over the news now. Reports that the 256 pax will overnight in Noumea. There are worse places.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...e-from-cockpit
EWR764 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Premier Plat (1.2 MM), Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, GE
Emergency landing here in Noumea, New Caledonia due to smoke in the cockpit. Landed safely without incident. However, it was a bit unsettling to see the aircraft dumping fuel over the ocean before landing. Also, it was my first time seeing the flight attendants demonstrate how to do the "brace position". Hope to get more info on when we can leave the island (hopefully tomorrow morning). New Caledonia is a beautiful place. United and the people of New Caledonia have taken good care of us.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Wow, I was on the previous flight on Sunday. Other than a slight delay out of MEL, it went fine.

I was amazed at how friendly the UA staff was, both on 98 and 99. This has not been my experience on previous UA longhaul flights.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by stimpy
It's all over the news now. Reports that the 256 pax will overnight in Noumea. There are worse places.

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/e...e-from-cockpit
You know it's a developing story when the author feels the need to flesh it out with references to problems with a completely different aircraft.
nancypants and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by iapetus
You know it's a developing story when the author feels the need to flesh it out with references to problems with a completely different aircraft.
When I read that, I immediately thought: "What have those flights got to do with this???"
I simply put it down to bad journalism.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA Mike
Emergency landing here in Noumea, New Caledonia due to smoke in the cockpit. Landed safely without incident. However, it was a bit unsettling to see the aircraft dumping fuel over the ocean before landing. Also, it was my first time seeing the flight attendants demonstrate how to do the "brace position". Hope to get more info on when we can leave the island (hopefully tomorrow morning). New Caledonia is a beautiful place. United and the people of New Caledonia have taken good care of us.
Thanks for the update and of course glad you and the others are OK.

Always amazes me at the number of times an issue is posted with a specific flight, and turns out a FlyerTalker was on board to provide an update...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM
UA got creative in getting these pax back to LAX, big props for that.

The original UA99 that diverted (N15969) is going to ferry back to LAX empty tomorrow as UA2740.

To get the stranded passengers back to LAX UA has cancelled UA842 on 26 MAR and will ferry that plane (N35953), currently in route to SYD as UA839, to NOU as UA2739 to pick up the stranded passengers and then depart for LAX as UA2829 arriving in LAX at 0817 on 26 March.
​​
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:20 am

So will the crew due to fly SYD-LAX operate SYD-NOU and the crew that has been resting in NOU operating the disabled aircraft fly NOU-LAX?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by chuck1
So will the crew due to fly SYD-LAX operate SYD-NOU and the crew that has been resting in NOU operating the disabled aircraft fly NOU-LAX?
Not sure I am assuming it is one crew flying SYD-NOU-LAX and then the crew currently in NOU flying the disabled aircraft
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by N104UA
UA got creative in getting these pax back to LAX, big props for that.

The original UA99 that diverted (N15969) is going to ferry back to LAX empty tomorrow as UA2740.

To get the stranded passengers back to LAX UA has cancelled UA842 on 26 MAR and will ferry that plane (N35953), currently in route to SYD as UA839, to NOU as UA2739 to pick up the stranded passengers and then depart for LAX as UA2829 arriving in LAX at 0817 on 26 March.
​​
Thanks for this update! Just received the text from UA confirming UA 2829 will be departing NOU at 3:00 pm on March 26 and will arrive at LAX at 8:28 am Tuesday, March 26.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by UA Mike
Just curious, why is a brace needed? It sounds like this wasn't an emergency landing as the pilots had time to dump fuel. So I would assume it was "just" another landing. I would think if smoke in the cockpit was severe enough that pilots might have imparied judgement landing, the flight would immediately land.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by BThumme
Just curious, why is a brace needed? It sounds like this wasn't an emergency landing as the pilots had time to dump fuel. So I would assume it was "just" another landing. I would think if smoke in the cockpit was severe enough that pilots might have imparied judgement landing, the flight would immediately land.
Thankfully, the pilots were able to execute a normal landing having dumped enough fuel. I think that the flight attendants briefed us on the "brace position" just in case the standard landing procedures would not be possible.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: united
I was hoping UA would introduce nonstop service to NOU!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BThumme
It is done "just in case". When there is smoke in the cockpit, you never know what might happen...an otherwise normal landing may turn into something else.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.