Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

WSJ Article: The Credit-Card Kingmaker (TPG)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-credit-card-kingmaker-11553436000
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Behind the paywall. Hmm, if only someone were announcing a reasonably priced news subscription bundle that included the WSJ...
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by milypan
Behind the paywall...
WSJ articles are often republished by related publications after a few days.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Behind the paywall. Hmm, if only someone were announcing a reasonably priced news subscription bundle that included the WSJ...
searched for title of story in google in “incognito” mode on iPad safari, clicked on wsj link and was shown article without paywall.
Flexible Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
"Banks spent an estimated $4.5 million in banner, display and video advertisements on TPG in the fourth quarter of 2018, double from a year prior and more than triple from two years prior, according to Mintel Comperemedia’s analysis of data from digital-marketing intelligence firm Pathmatics. Roughly three-quarters of that came from American Express Co. and JPMorgan, according to those industry estimates."
Old Mar 30, 2019, 3:43 pm
FTA

https://www.marketscreener.com/news/...ker--28230200/
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
TPG site is like a 24 hour paid for infomercial. They used to post interesting and relevant posts at times but now the posts are just for the referral fees and a lot of the posts are regurgitated and reposted several times a year.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
People can say whatever they want about the guy but he is laughing all the way to the bank.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:26 pm

And I think Million Mile Secrets was also bought by the same people, and has gone a similar route - posts seem all about the referral links.

But got to admit, TPG was savvy enough to do what he did.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by themice
But got to admit, TPG was savvy enough to do what he did.
It’s a very old profession but it does pay.
Diplomatico, Drewm33 and roberto99 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Your public library is your friend.

The following recently published article

Get Ready for New Rules on Your Frequent-Flier Program

is still behind the WSJ paywall, but I found the full text in minutes by googling sfpl wsj and logging in followed by searching for the title of the article.
volabam likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Your public library is your friend.

The following recently published article

Get Ready for New Rules on Your Frequent-Flier Program

is still behind the WSJ paywall, but I found the full text in minutes by googling sfpl wsj and logging in followed by searching for the title of the article.
TPG is great for Midwestern housewives who heard from their uncle's wife's nephew's friend who knows a guy that scored a free economy ticket from Cleveland to Newark using credit card points. For the rest of us, the content is mostly garbage.
JHake10 and Drewm33 like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
TPG is great for Midwestern housewives who heard from their uncle's wife's nephew's friend who knows a guy that scored a free economy ticket from Cleveland to Newark using credit card points. For the rest of us, the content is mostly garbage.
Agreed. Only exception is occasionally it's nice when I want a quick hit on the best seats on a particular plane. Even from that Honig goober. Photos of yourself legs propped, saluting sparkling alcohol you don't even know about has never been cool.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
This basically happened to me this week... Relative told me about this "amazing" website that his wife showed him that shows people how to travel for "free" using "credit card tricks"... out of curiosity, I had to ask what website it was, and of course, TPG.

I just said "cool website, hope it works out for you"
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:07 am

I especially like the recycled posts that show up as 3 hours old and have comments from 13 months ago. Occasionally they might even update a few lines of content.
Drewm33 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.