Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Light Fare on longhaul routes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Economy Light Fare on longhaul routes

Lufthansa started yesterday selling Light fares from Denmark, Sweden and Norway to California, New York and Florida.

http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p...1736495293.pdf
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Interesting. Between Eco Light and Eco Basic ex-CPH to JFK the difference in price per direction is 300 DKK which is a little less than 60 USD per direction they charge for a checked bag. Eco Light and Eco Basic seem to book into the same booking class but Eco Basic Plus books into a higher booking class.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:54 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by miikkak
Denmark, Sweden and Norway to California, New York and Florida.

Looks like DY expansion started hurting them...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:40 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by miikkak
Lufthansa started yesterday selling Light fares from Denmark, Sweden and Norway to California, New York and Florida.

In my opinion that really sucks. LH flights will appear higher up in search engines and people will be surprised that they have to pay $100 for their bag at the airport. There aren't too many people who can go on intercontinental trip with only 8 kg of hand luggage.

HTB.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by htb
In my opinion that really sucks. LH flights will appear higher up in search engines and people will be surprised that they have to pay $100 for their bag at the airport. There aren't too many people who can go on intercontinental trip with only 8 kg of hand luggage.
It seems that one can book Light fares only at Lufthansa.com and before payment page it's mentioned clearly that these fares don't include checked luggage.
Old May 23, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: LH SEN *
LH Group Economy Light Fares on North American routes

As of this summer, passengers travelling to North America on Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian, and Brussels Airlines will have the option to purchase an Economy Light fare which does not allow any changes or cancellations and only includes 8kg of free carry on baggage with no check in baggage free of charge. Seat assignments are available for an additional fee. Meals and drinks on board will remain free.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
= price increase....
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:03 am

non-LH *G: Lufthansa basic economy

Dear FlyerTalk Experts,

If I book a Luftansia basic economy ticket, do I get a checked back by virtue of my star alliance gold (via United)? Anything else I should know?

Thank you,
BJFly
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
2 years ago, I booked a Lufthansa basic economy fare through united.com. Initially, the booking advice, and the e-ticket showed that I got my standard *Gold baggage allowance, two bags of 23 kg each. But then when I checked it again 2 days before the flight, it showed that i would have to pay 50 Euro to check a single 20 kg bag. Fortunately, I had saved and printed the original eTicket. When I checked in at FRA, the Lufthansa agent was mightily confused because their system showed that I was not entitled to any complimentary baggage. But I had my printed e-Ticket, and I'm very skilled at Playing Dumb. After consulting with several other managers, they eventually accepted all of my bags at no cost. But the experience taught me to avoid the el cheapo Lufthansa product from that point onward.
In the two years since then, they may have tuned up their systems. And unless you have up-to-date confirmation from the airline for your specific reservation (PNR), I would not assume that you have any baggage allowance at all.
The european econ fares and discount carriers make Southwest feel like Emirates First Class.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I just flew on a economy light fare (roundtrip between MAD and MUC), only 1 piece of carryon baggage up to 8kg/18lbs is allowed. In practice, I see many passengers bring 2 carryons. Still no complementary checked luggage, but you will get priority boarding and lounge access based your *G membership.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 1:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As a query about a LH flight, will move this to the LH forum.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 23, 2019, 3:54 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Repooc17
I just flew on a economy light fare (roundtrip between MAD and MUC), only 1 piece of carryon baggage up to 8kg/18lbs is allowed. In practice, I see many passengers bring 2 carryons. Still no complementary checked luggage, but you will get priority boarding and lounge access based your *G membership.
Sorry but you’re confused the LH group carry-on baggage allowance for economy has always been 1 standard bag and one small piece of baggage. Business is 2 standard + 1 small. Some airports weigh a lot more than others.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by GVA

Sorry but you’re confused the LH group carry-on baggage allowance for economy has always been 1 standard bag and one small piece of baggage. Business is 2 standard + 1 small. Some airports weigh a lot more than others.
Fare ConditionsEconomy LightSnacks & beverages1 piece of carry-on baggage
up to 8kg/18lbs
Rebooking not possibleRefund not possible
Old Mar 23, 2019, 4:56 pm

Aren't the Europeans versions like BA's HBO fare? Different than basic economy for the US carriers
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

Originally Posted by BJfly
If I book a Luftansia basic economy ticket, do I get a checked back by virtue of my star alliance gold (via United)? Anything else I should know?
BJFly
No checked bag, not as *G and not even as a HON, which is there highest elite The ticket is called Economy light (how appropriate ;-) in Lufthansa lingo and also is absolutely non changeable. I would avoid it like any other basic economy ticket unless the ticket price is below the change fee (LHs change fees at least in Europe are not as bad as some US carriers - usually below 100 Euro) and I really don't need to carry around more then 8kg of luggage.

So long
-Ralf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.