Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX TBIT Lounge access

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
LAX TBIT Lounge access

I flew on DL194 from LAX to ATL this week; DL uses a 777 that departs from gate 133 in TBIT rather than from T3. I didn't have much time before the flight but found myself confused about access to any Lounges in TBIT and gave up looking.

As I may do this again soon, i was wondering if a better strategy is to go to the Delta SkyClub in the domestic terminal and transfer airside to TBIT in time to board

what do others do?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
There is a KAL / Skyteam lounge in TBIT; with your Priority Pass you can access this lounge between 12:00 - 18:00 daily. I'm not sure if a domestic DeltaOne fare would gain you access to this lounge (or even if you were flying D1).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Plus the KAL Lounge isn't close to the gate. I just use the lounge in T2 if I have a bunch of time.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by renault4
I flew on DL194 from LAX to ATL this week; DL uses a 777 that departs from gate 133 in TBIT rather than from T3. I didn't have much time before the flight but found myself confused about access to any Lounges in TBIT and gave up looking.

As I may do this again soon, i was wondering if a better strategy is to go to the Delta SkyClub in the domestic terminal and transfer airside to TBIT in time to board

what do others do?
It depends on your ticket/status. If this is part of a domestic only ticket then no lounge access in TBIT. You can access the KE lounge, if you're flying it as a connection as part of an international ticket in J or as part of international ticket in Y and have STE+ status.

Originally Posted by Gig103
There is a KAL / Skyteam lounge in TBIT; with your Priority Pass you can access this lounge between 12:00 - 18:00 daily. I'm not sure if a domestic DeltaOne fare would gain you access to this lounge (or even if you were flying D1).
LAX/ATL is not Delta One. No access soley based on being in F on it. If was flying LAX/JFK, LAX/DCA, or LAX/BOS in D1 you can access it. However those flights generally depart T2 100% of the time.

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Plus the KAL Lounge isn't close to the gate. I just use the lounge in T2 if I have a bunch of time.
The lounge also sucks. No one likes it. In fact in general no one likes any KE lounges. Even ICN lounges aren't reviewed greatly.
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:56 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Yeah, unless you are on an international ticket you don't get KAL via SkyPriority Elite Plus. There is no D1 service though you get the D1 seats with domestic first class service, so no lounge access. I'd use T2 SC if you have a way in as a domestic flight. But otherwise, I'd also avoid the KAL lounge, it sucks. for PP, I use the PF Chang's restaurant (though there can be huge lines).
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Gig103
I had an 8 hour layover at LAX due to a mechanical last year trying to get back to DCA. To amuse myself, I took the shuttle bus from T2 over to the TBIT (this was the first time I had ever been in that building). The only lounge there that I could find which was related to SkyTeam was the Korean Air lounge. While the concierges there were very courteous, they were also very firm that I could not enter their lounge.

I ended up walking to T5, touring around the former DL concourse which now belongs to AA, then exiting security there and taking a shuttle bus to the Westin Hotel, where a branch of the Daily Grill restaurant chain is located. Had a great dinner there and then took the shuttle bus back to LAX, recleared security and took a nap in the T2 SkyClub before my red-eye LAX-ATL-DCA trip.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:38 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The lounge also sucks. No one likes it. In fact in general no one likes any KE lounges. Even ICN lounges aren't reviewed greatly.
The hate for the KAL lounge at LAX is overhyped, IMHO. Not worth a special trip, but it's really no worse than a Skyclub. It can get busy, but there are seats. Limited selection of brand name spirits available to self-pour, average buffet food offering, nice "terrace" overlooking TBIT lobby.
mot29 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:23 am

Here's an odd situation. What if you're flying LAX-ATL, then connecting to Canada, all in first class? If departure is from T2 or T3, you get Skyclub access; that seems to be settled (in other FT threads). But if you depart from TBIT, would the courteous KAL dragons reject you? Do they even know that Skyclubs admit such a passenger?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Likemiles
Here's an odd situation. What if you're flying LAX-ATL, then connecting to Canada, all in first class? If departure is from T2 or T3, you get Skyclub access; that seems to be settled (in other FT threads). But if you depart from TBIT, would the courteous KAL dragons reject you? Do they even know that Skyclubs admit such a passenger?
Yes you get access. It'll depend on the agent as it will not be a regular thing for them to know about.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:14 am

Thanks, FlyerCO. Praying aloud now.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
The hate for the KAL lounge at LAX is overhyped, IMHO. Not worth a special trip, but it's really no worse than a Skyclub. It can get busy, but there are seats. Limited selection of brand name spirits available to self-pour, average buffet food offering, nice "terrace" overlooking TBIT lobby.
I agree to an extent. Compared to some Skyclubs (like the ATL A/C/D) or some other priority pass lounges in the USA (like "The Club At xxx") then KAL is on par. But if you're a regular international J passenger out of LAX and have experienced the Oneworld, Flagship, and Star Alliance lounges (or fly out of JFK or SEA), then both the LAX Skyclub and KAL lounges are a letdown. I'd still rather be in a lounge than in the concourse.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I feel that the catering in the lounge is far below even Sky Club standards. The wine is Woodbridge, for example, which I consider worse than even Delta’s worst Sky Club wine in the dark days of cost cutting a few years ago. The buffet is squarely in sad bins of fried rice and prepackaged snacks territory - hardly worth even visiting. I think it’s objectively worse than nearly every domestic Sky Club, and far worse than The Club independent lounges as well.

I still visit the KE lounge when I’m in TBIT and need a shower or a pleasant seat out on the terrace. The seating and physical space are mediocre but perfectly fine. But you should think of it as essentially a glorified waiting room, not a source of food and beverage. Many passengers would be better served by simply springing for an overpriced but tasty meal in the food court below the lounge in the atrium.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by BenA

I feel that the catering in the lounge is far below even Sky Club standards. The wine is Woodbridge, for example, which I consider worse than even Delta’s worst Sky Club wine in the dark days of cost cutting a few years ago. The buffet is squarely in sad bins of fried rice and prepackaged snacks territory - hardly worth even visiting. I think it’s objectively worse than nearly every domestic Sky Club, and far worse than The Club independent lounges as well.

I still visit the KE lounge when I’m in TBIT and need a shower or a pleasant seat out on the terrace. The seating and physical space are mediocre but perfectly fine. But you should think of it as essentially a glorified waiting room, not a source of food and beverage. Many passengers would be better served by simply springing for an overpriced but tasty meal in the food court below the lounge in the atrium.
Appreciate these points...it's usually tacked on to a priority pass visit to PF Changs, so that might color my perspective.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I agree that it is on par with a typical Sky Club (other than the common Asian issue of not keeping drinks cold). Problem is, I expect more.

TBIT is brand new, It is an international gateway. It should be much better than than the typical Sky Club.

I spent a few years transiting TBIT using the *A lounge . It is friggen awesome compared to the KE lounge.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Just a note, I am on a similar trip to the OP, I arrived on DL40 and the same aircraft continues from TBIT 133 to ATL.

The KAL Lounge opens at 8:30a, the flight departs at 8:15a, so this is no help.

A curious choice by DL to do this and offer no lounge in TBIT as I assume many paid J passengers are on this route, and there isn't really time to shuttle to T2/T3 and back. Sure would have liked a shower.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.